Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

hey all thought I would make a start on this thread to document my rebuild of a fairly beat up star wars cockpit.

This is the holy grail of arcade games for me. This may be my first and last attempt at an arcade game project, we'll see how it goes :)

Fellow star wars geeks will recognise the quote. It's very appropriate for this project as there appears to be a fair bit of work ahead to bring it up to speed.

I'm going to try and save as much of this cockpit as possible and fabricate what I have to. If possible I want to try and show a subtle division between the old and the new so I'll be looking to restore the old panels without loosing too much of their character and wear and have very clean and tidy new panels. So this is kind of a half restoration half reproduction project I guess.

Obviously I'll be looking for a replacement CP, yoke, backglass etc so please PM me if you can help!

In terms of running gear I'm looking at a mame set up. The thought of tackling a PCB set with a vector monitor is too daunting at this stage. I have ZERO experience in arcade electronics so am playing it safe for the time being.

Before myself and Benwah laid hands upon the cockpit it looked roughly like this:

SW_Sell_4474.thumb.jpg.89a3a17ea046d83713c89a86cf4fb1e2.jpg

we were able to successfully pull the cabinet apart with almost no breakage, flat pack the beast and send it home:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55296[/ATTACH]

The cockpit will hopefully be delivered to me next week but I was able to bring a few bits and pieces home with me to muck about with.

One of the things that I wanted to try on a busted panel was using a combination of polyester resin and bog to stablise the particle board and fill out any gaps. I basically built a mould wall around the broken area, brushed in some over-catalysed resin to start soaking into the particle board then followed that up with the remaining resin mixed with builders bog. I've used this technique before on other stuff and the result is a stronger bog that is harder and not so brittle. It also means if you leave it liquid enough you can pour it into a cavity and it tends to grip a bit better.

Apologies if this is all old news to everyone. Here's the results so far:

CAM00032.thumb.jpg.78114cfd21f7faa576c0dcf233b8c9b6.jpg

mould walls

CAM00033.thumb.jpg.747ffb6d4e9d87610fca17d9dbea6262.jpg

resin and bog poured in

IMG_1319.thumb.jpg.9e4a64530a7824fdcb823e2f51de219a.jpg

sanded back

IMG_1321.thumb.jpg.f282d5211e88bf0ebcc60e092a61019f.jpg

the resin and bog makes it easy to get a hard edge with no risk of chipping

IMG_1322.thumb.jpg.ace5755fe91c80803bfa2940df5e0f48.jpg

old vinyl, sanded particle board, particle board with resin soaked in, resin and bog mix

I'm going to be treating each panel as a separate project so this will be one of those massively long threads :)

Any comments and/or criticisms are welcome. There's alot of knowledge on these boards about these cockpits so I will be pestering everyone for advice and help over the next year....or two....or three.

cheers

oota

CAM00017.thumb.jpg.b927c75d063f391d3a1c91323525c47c.jpg

Edited by oota goota

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shall be following this thread

I was going to do a similar thing to that actual machine years ago, but was offered a better (2nd) one so off it went to Ben

Ben did the same when his no. 2 came along

We preserved it, well done to you though, you are the restorer.

Let me know if you need help, it's a long road for us SW CP owners. There are hints of RAM control parts available from time to time via KLOV collectors (Yes like Narf said, never buy from RAM controls themselves) The scam was fake selling of star wars machines ironically

Guys sell yokes, or yoke rebuild kits

This guy is a good guy. He bought a lot of RAM controls gear prior to them doing the runner

Star Wars Category

http://www.arcadefixit.com/category.sc?categoryId=16

All the best

Edited by dezbaz

Cheers dezbaz! I'm REALLY glad that you both hung on to this cockpit despite it's condition. For me there's so much information within each piece it's a fantastic starting point for a cockpit build.

I'm pretty happy with the early results I'm getting out of the panels so it will be a case of applying this process to each one

Greatly appreciate the offer of help I've no doubt I will get stuck along the way :)

Thanks for the link I'll add it to my list that's a great resource there

cheers

oota

Good luck with the rebuild. There have been a few of us here that have tackled a Star Wars restoration, and a complete build from scratch (hoopstar). I would reconsider a MAME set up for this game myself, and try and locate a Vector monitor and PCB. Dez would be able to fix you up with the monitor PCB’s, and finding a suitable 25” tube shouldn’t be too difficult.

Keep the up-dates coming, as it’s always great to see another classic rise from the dead.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Great project, Love to see the final!

I thought for generic pieces of cab (ie Simple particle board with cutouts & vinyl) you'd be better of making a new piece rather than bogging up a badly damaged piece.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. It's original because it's using the original bit's of common construction material - So Bog it.

2. The original never had wads of bog in it! Make a new piece of the same materials & design.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]55300[/ATTACH]

the resin and bog makes it easy to get a hard edge with no risk of chipping

Good luck with the rebuild. There have been a few of us here that have tackled a Star Wars restoration, and a complete build from scratch (hoopstar). I would reconsider a MAME set up for this game myself, and try and locate a Vector monitor and PCB. Dez would be able to fix you up with the monitor PCB’s, and finding a suitable 25” tube shouldn’t be too difficult.

Keep the up-dates coming, as it’s always great to see another classic rise from the dead.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

hey man yes thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an open mind about MAME versus PCB. PCB makes more sense and 'legitimizes' the rebuild but I'm just playing to my strengths at this stage. I'll definintely take a closer look at this when I get further along with the cab. Cheers!

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with John. This much love and work it deserves original gear if you can get it. Really looking forward to this restore =)

Cheers,

Brad

me too!

- - - Updated - - -

Great project, Love to see the final!

I thought for generic pieces of cab (ie Simple particle board with cutouts & vinyl) you'd be better of making a new piece rather than bogging up a badly damaged piece.

There are two ways to look at this.

1. It's original because it's using the original bit's of common construction material - So Bog it.

2. The original never had wads of bog in it! Make a new piece of the same materials & design.

hey ozfalcon yeah it's a tricky one. There are some pieces like the one I am working on that are very borderline keep/ chuck. I think it might be a percentage thing. If most of the panel is a replace/ restore job then probably better and cleaner to make from new. If it's just a few holes/ missing corners then better to keep it and restore. So that particular piece is right on the edge! however it does have quite a few features that made me want to try and keep it including: the slot in the middle and the top (for power leads?) and a wee wooden frame glued to the back, no idea what it's for.

So I guess I'm a bit more in camp #1 . I like a bit of patina on things....

thanks for the c & c

cheers

oota

hey man yes thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep an open mind about MAME versus PCB. PCB makes more sense and 'legitimizes' the rebuild but I'm just playing to my strengths at this stage. I'll definintely take a closer look at this when I get further along with the cab. Cheers!

As mentioned, there are quite a few of us here that can help with any technical issues you have. I guess the main issues I have with MAME, is once you complete your game, you may find you lose the motivation to convert it to vector. Plus running Star Wars on a raster display, just doesn't do this game justice. Of course, it all comes down to what you feel confident in doing. dezbaz has done a massive amount of work on sorting out the tech side (and repo side) of vector games and equipment. Just his web site alone has all the info you need. Making a harness from scratch is also straight forward with the info he has provided. I'm also happy to provide any advice on your re-build, as I basically re-built an empty cockpit myself a number of years back. I wouldn't be able to provide you with pictures (other than in my restore thread), as all my games are now in storage, but happy to help in any other way.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

As mentioned, there are quite a few of us here that can help with any technical issues you have. I guess the main issues I have with MAME, is once you complete your game, you may find you lose the motivation to convert it to vector. Plus running Star Wars on a raster display, just doesn't do this game justice. Of course, it all comes down to what you feel confident in doing. dezbaz has done a massive amount of work on sorting out the tech side (and repo side) of vector games and equipment. Just his web site alone has all the info you need. Making a harness from scratch is also straight forward with the info he has provided. I'm also happy to provide any advice on your re-build, as I basically re-built an empty cockpit myself a number of years back. I wouldn't be able to provide you with pictures (other than in my restore thread), as all my games are now in storage, but happy to help in any other way.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

that's great thanks so much for the offer of help. I'll be sure to get in touch when I get to that stage. It's mainly getting my head around the specs and lingo of the PCB set up. A MAME set up seems to be easier for the lay-person to understand: game on hard drive, through graphics card, into usb analog interface, into analog yoke.

Buuuut I must say the more I think about it the more I like the idea of doing the cockpit properly. Thanks for the inspiration man!

Good luck with the restore.

What polyester resin do you use? and what ratio of resin to bog?

Hey man just a generic brand from super cheap. It's all pretty much the same. Polyester uses MEKP for a catalyst. You would normally add about 2.5% MEKP to resin but I tend to ramp it up a bit to 3 or 4%. The extra mekp makes sure that the resin goes off properly and allows for the addition of bog.

resin to bog ratio is ummmmm about 2:1. Basically I just keep adding bog in to thicken it up but still allow it to be pourable. It's a neat trick and a nice finish :) Hope that helps

cheers

oota

- - - Updated - - -

These threads are why I come here. All the best with it.

Thanks Pinny!

Nice Score Oota..

In terms of artwork, Rich from ThisOldGame is doing pretty much everything. 'Problem' is that I've been on the (paid) pre-order for well over a year and it's starting to get a bit frustrating having my money in someone elses bank account. Rich is a pretty stand up guy, so I don't think there'd be a problem but just thought I'd forewarn you :D

TOG's repro list

Side Art Set

Backglass

Control Panel Overlay

Yoke Overlay

I may also be repro'ing the canopy plexi so let me know if you're interested.

Nice Score Oota..

In terms of artwork, Rich from ThisOldGame is doing pretty much everything. 'Problem' is that I've been on the (paid) pre-order for well over a year and it's starting to get a bit frustrating having my money in someone elses bank account. Rich is a pretty stand up guy, so I don't think there'd be a problem but just thought I'd forewarn you :D

TOG's repro list

Side Art Set

Backglass

Control Panel Overlay

Yoke Overlay

I may also be repro'ing the canopy plexi so let me know if you're interested.

Cheers hoopstar! Your build and some cockpit restorations have been good inspiration for me to tackle this beast.

Thanks for the TOG links I'll be ordering from them sometime soon :). Depending on how the side art pans with TOG I may look at other local printing options.

It's all a bit in the future at the moment I've got a truck load of restoration to get through first, then replace missing arches/ doors. THEN I can look at art and running gear.

Yes please put me down for a plexi if you get to it. Awesome!

cheers

oota

Hey so first of many questions. I've had to strip the original vinyl back on a couple of pieces and want to replace with another vinyl. I've read on the boards that chalkboard vinyl is a good substitute for cabinets. Does this apply to the CW cockpit?

@ hoopstar: was the vinyl you used on your awesome cockpit a generic type?

Hey so first of many questions. I've had to strip the original vinyl back on a couple of pieces and want to replace with another vinyl. I've read on the boards that chalkboard vinyl is a good substitute for cabinets. Does this apply to the CW cockpit?

Yes, chalk board vinyl is perfect,

Use it on any painted surface :) I have used in on my Lunar lander scratch build

If you want some hard wearing tough vinyl, You might want to try some of this:

DIY Black Pearl High Gloss Interior Film 1m/m Thick

I bought 4mtrs - And am happy with the purchase, It's thick & strong. It also has a smooth finish - But appears like it has depth and really does look great!

(Seller seems to be out of stock/away at the moment, But well worth following up)

Though you would probably have to do the whole cab, Not just one panel... But the cab would look a treat if you did!

Edited by ozfalcon

cheers ozfalcon I'll follow that up for sure. Yes I agree I'll need to stick to the same material all the way round.

Although I am still thinking I would like a bit of separation between the old and the new. So the old panels might get re-vinyled and the new panels will probably me made from 18mm laminated mdf so will have a black finish anyway. If this turns out to be a crap idea I'll vinyl the new stuff too!

Edited by oota goota

• 3 months later...

wow 3 months have flown past without any work on the cockpit! I finally had time yesterday to do a bit more work. I've tidied up 3 or 4 more pieces and am now working on trolley. It's got a bit of a curve at the back that will need straightening but this appears to be a bit of a common thing in the cockpit.

CAM00136.thumb.jpg.5afc60bc0de240427c621e34bd0548ad.jpg

I've decided to pull the top sheet off the trolley so I can reattach the side walls properly with lots of glue and screws. The trolleys are well made lots of glue and nails so it's slow going pulling the top off.

Also the trolley had this weird red rubber mat glued over the top of the original. So I'll be looking around for a replacement mat at some stage

CAM00134.thumb.jpg.98436801f685b2826fa85f0a507a4396.jpg

whoo hoo more time on the cockpit!

I've pulled off the 'lid' of the trolley, denailed, destapled and given it a bit of a light sand. Man there were a lot of nails and a lot of staples in that sucker. Also each side bracket has about 6 screws in it. When I rebuild the cockpit I'll use glue screws and staples pretty much in the same way the original makers did. I'm really impressed with the amount of fixing they did.

2012922481_CAM00148(800x600).jpg.df363c0bef7af81d15d1e992967e8635.jpg

461857149_CAM00150(600x800).thumb.jpg.a0ac5d5500feb62e30fea799ec980056.jpg

I also noticed these staples sitting either side of a roughly 12mm hole in each corner of the base of the trolley.

1347343907_CAM00151(800x600).jpg.b05a50b79be0706c7bff48a66d3bcafa.jpg

Does anyone know what these are? I'm assuming it was for some adjustable feet? Is this standard on the cockpit?

okay more pics soon. I'm hoping to tackle some more of the interior panels