Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. Star Wars rebuild

Collapse

Post up your Arcade Cab restorations logs and pictures here

X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by dezbaz View Post
    Are you remaking that piece? Looks too bad to repair.
    I'm planning on using it There's still strength in the wood and I've stabilised all the flaky bits. If it doesn't work out I'll get one cnc'd but I think with a bit more work it'll come right. watch this space

    Comment


      #32
      Another tough day for the restoration. I sanded up the new resin/ bog on the other rear panel. There was quite a lot of swelling that I had to sand into to get the panel flatter and that meant plowing through the original artwork with the belt sander Pretty much all of the art work is shot and beyond repair but it still blows having to sand it off.

      Still I'm very happy with the repair to the bottoms of the panels. They feel very solid, very robust and they blend in well with the existing particle board

      Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00246 (292x1024).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	1800618

      Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00247 (1024x788).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	1800619

      So next question is can anyone tell me what router bit to use to recut T-molding channel? I'm going to recut the channel in places then it's on to lots and lots of primer whoo hoo!
      Last edited by oota goota; 3 June 2014, 06:21 PM.

      Comment


        #33
        Well it's been it's been about 2 months since my last update. I have done BUGGER ALL on the project except pick up a CP (wrong overlay). I'm on a contract at the moment no time for anything else . the only upside is my garage is filled with that old arcade game smell...kind of a sour musty old electrical smell which I find strangely appealing (I bet you guys do to).

        Anyway hope you fullas are all well across the ditch I'll post some pics as soon as anything else happens. In the meantime here's a couple of links for any star wars geeks to some other stuff I've made recently(ish) while this thread is idling. Best pics towards the end of each thread:

        Jes Gistang inspired female stormtrooper armour | RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community

        Clone wars kowakian monkey lizard | RPF Costume and Prop Maker Community

        and

        General Error

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by oota goota View Post
          Another tough day for the restoration. I sanded up the new resin/ bog on the other rear panel. There was quite a lot of swelling that I had to sand into to get the panel flatter and that meant plowing through the original artwork with the belt sander Pretty much all of the art work is shot and beyond repair but it stills blows having to sand it off.

          Still I'm very happy with the repair to the bottoms of the panels. They feel very solid, very robust and they blend in well with the existing particle board

          So next question is can anyone tell me what router bit to use to recut T-molding channel? I'm going to recut the channel in places then it's on to lots and lots of primer whoo hoo!
          The 19mm+ T molding needs to be ordered. I got some from a NZ Guy. Cut your slot to suit that. Trail and error on a scrap piece etc.

          I think the guy was [MENTION=2867]Fugus[/MENTION]
          See this thread
          T-Mouldng Needed 19mm black - 2.4mm spine - Aussie Arcade

          The spine is bigger, but you could just buy a more common 2.4mm slot cutter and do 2 x cuts at different depths to get the 3mm? (Guess) width
          Regards

          Dez

          DSB Electrical
          DSB Electrical Facebook
          VAPS
          Vector Monitor Repro Parts
          Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

          Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

          Comment


            #35
            Thanks Dezbaz!

            Comment


              #36
              Something like this, I would stick to original parts.
              Good luck with the rebuild and will love to see this finished
              sigpicArcade Parts: www.vadership.com

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Vadership View Post
                Something like this, I would stick to original parts.
                Good luck with the rebuild and will love to see this finished
                Cheers vadership! Yeah AA has pretty much convinced me to go original running gear rather than MAME Obviously with the arches missing they will have to replaced with replicas (along with the doors and a few other bits) but yeah as much as possible I want to use original parts and no lose to much of the feel (and smell!) of the machine as it was. I find with projects like this I go in short bursts but once I've finished restoring what I've got it will be off to the CNC guy for the missing bits

                Comment


                  #38
                  Hey all while I've got no free time to work on the cockpit I have been diligently watching ebay for boards and yokes as they come up. anyone got an opinion on this board set? Dez? John?

                  Error Page | eBay

                  Looks like it's come out of an upright, bummer that they are parting out a functioning machine

                  Cheers
                  oota

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by oota goota View Post
                    Hey all while I've got no free time to work on the cockpit I have been diligently watching ebay for boards and yokes as they come up. anyone got an opinion on this board set? Dez? John?

                    Error Page | eBay

                    Looks like it's come out of an upright, bummer that they are parting out a functioning machine

                    Cheers
                    oota
                    My opinion is it's bloody expensive for a board with a fault! You would want a fully working game board for $650. At these prices it starting to make reproducing the PCB's feasible.

                    I hope you find a reasonably priced one soon.

                    Regards,

                    Johns-Arcade.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Cheers John yeah I thought it looked a bit steep. there was another that went for $450 fully working. I'm trying to get a sense of what the market value is of these boards. I guess if there's anything cheaper it would be worth snapping up.

                      Could you get a repro board made for $650? That seems like a good way to go: all new components and wiring etc etc


                      Thanks for the quick reply John



                      Originally posted by Johns-Arcade View Post
                      My opinion is it's bloody expensive for a board with a fault! You would want a fully working game board for $650. At these prices it starting to make reproducing the PCB's feasible.

                      I hope you find a reasonably priced one soon.

                      Regards,

                      Johns-Arcade.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by oota goota View Post
                        Cheers John yeah I thought it looked a bit steep. there was another that went for $450 fully working. I'm trying to get a sense of what the market value is of these boards. I guess if there's anything cheaper it would be worth snapping up.

                        Could you get a repro board made for $650? That seems like a good way to go: all new components and wiring etc etc

                        Thanks for the quick reply John
                        Atari Quantum boards were repro'd a few years back, this is a single PCB game. All up the board and parts came to over $500 back then (I have mine un-assembled still . So note: The $500 was for parts only)

                        Star Wars is a 3 board stack with more rare chips on it.
                        It would not be feasible at all for $650. Unless you get them supplied/assembled in China. But beware of the quality
                        Some parts Eg: the 86/43 way, 2.54mm pitch interconnects are expensive now. Once they were $5.50 each plus freight, now they are over $10+, if even available

                        The boards needs of them. Stuff like this may need to be fabricated

                        I have thought about reproing them, but all of the above, leads to an expensive proposition
                        Regards

                        Dez

                        DSB Electrical
                        DSB Electrical Facebook
                        VAPS
                        Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                        Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

                        Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by oota goota View Post
                          Cheers John yeah I thought it looked a bit steep. there was another that went for $450 fully working. I'm trying to get a sense of what the market value is of these boards. I guess if there's anything cheaper it would be worth snapping up.

                          Could you get a repro board made for $650? That seems like a good way to go: all new components and wiring etc etc


                          Thanks for the quick reply John
                          If someone did the PCB lay-out, I guess it would come down to the cost to have the pcb's manufactured and the cost of components. Of course, a lot of the components on the Star Wars PCB's are well and truly obsolete, so sourcing these would be a problem. The other alternative would be a complete redesign, but I can’t see that happening.

                          Edit: As Dez has noted above, cost of components is a killer.

                          Regards,

                          Johns-Arcade.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Thanks guys it's nice to know that this has been explored already! It seems to me that the cost of a board is going to be whatever someone is prepared to pay. I might start a few wtb threads on some of the forums see if that brings in anything

                            Comment


                              #44
                              HOT DAMN I just bought a working PCB with cage, ARII, and BXAVG with interconnects(whatever the hell these are). The price seemed pretty good to me just sorting out cost of shipping to NZ.

                              Thanks Dezbaz for the heads up that's one step closer! Progress pics coming up in the next couple of weeks

                              Comment


                                #45
                                I read that you had sent an offer on that. Well done
                                Woody

                                Comment

                                Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X