'Track & Field' Cocktail replica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Track & Field' Cocktail replica

It's amazing what 8 beers does to my mouth .... hence .....

With the mates Lowboy project getting closer to finnato ... my own, old project list is getting ready to get off it's ass

I had placed my 'Cosmic Guerilla' resto 1st on the list ... however .. only having just come back after upteen years ... I'm itching to cain the router, tablesaw, drill, hammer, beer .. I've already got everything substantial for the Guerilla .. and another couple of months won't hurt the bitch I've had laying around being lazy since '04 !! So... I've brushed off my replica project of the beautifully simplistic 'Track & Field' cocktail. .. http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=24005.0

So.. as a brief overview of my dribble on the original BYOAC thread.. The original idea was to run mame and have the 6 or 7 odd games that run the same 'Track & Field' theme and button layout via a menu and so on. But now that I'm older and wiser ... She's going to be dedicated. As I 've said b4 in my short life in this forum.. mame has it's place.. either as a 1-off multi-cab in the gamesroom... or when original gear is impossible to find... but that's about it for me now.

My old mate Wade from the land of bad spelling, lotsa nukes, puppet presidents and stacks of BS, dimensioned his T&F for me, whilst he was restoring her. I compiled the cab from these dims on Sketchup. Slight internal poetic license was added to things like furring strips, brackets etc.. to assist in streamling production etc.

I'll be setting her up under the original 'Konami Classic' wiring harness. On top of the original T&F pcb... I'd ideally also like to have the sequel, 'Hyper Sports', mounted for easy switch over. Konami's attempt @ a trilogy, 'Konami 88', is pretty dodgy unfortunately... so I'm not really interested in her. Once the lowboy is out the door, I'll start hunting for the pcb's and coin door (already located some possible's ) Screen-printed CPO's have already been obtained.

Game on soon!
    Last edited by spriggy; 7th August 2010, 09:34 AM.
    "He who laughs when things go wrong ... has just thought of someone they can blame it on!"

That's a great looking sketchup of the cab there spriggy. Should be a great dedicated cab, but would also make for a nice generic cocktail.

Nice simple design but looks great. Ozstick have something similar http://www.ozstick.com.au/prod_cabs.html

Look forward to the progress.

Comment

Wow Spriggy!!
      That is awesome.

Ill hopefully be going down this road to get a T&F cocktail built one day.
      Looks very good so far!
      My WANTED list...
      Bubble Bobble PCB - Your love
      Many Thanks to SectionZ
      sigpic

Comment

Yeh .. looking foward to it. The repro screenprinted CPO's are a kick in the teeth @ $150us for the pair .. They are still available .. but stock is getting low around the place as Darin from Pheonix Arcade, only originally did a single run of these screenprints.. No openly available scans of the CPO's exist, as far as I know. If so .. someones keeping them close to their chest. Hence, getting them printed digitally is not an option.
        Repro bezels are available as well as 'Centuri' coin door stickers in case you can't find an original door.
        Leaf Switch button assemblies (for metal CP's) and buttons are readily available.. but again.. @ around $5us a button (leaf assembly and short button) x 18 plus shipping = ouch again . Comes with the territory though .. so no complaining from me.
        I've tracked down a boardset. Getting a shipping quote from the US.
        "He who laughs when things go wrong ... has just thought of someone they can blame it on!"

Comment

I have some CPO artwork files for the trackball version of T&F if you decide to go down that route

Comment

Originally posted by GIBO View Post
            I have some CPO artwork files for the trackball version of T&F if you decide to go down that route
            Are those cocktail files Gibo? If so, is the art similar because it could prolly be modified.

Comment

Originally posted by spacies View Post
              Are those cocktail files Gibo? If so, is the art similar because it could prolly be modified.
              No they are for an upright but artwork is basically the same and knowing spriggy he is pretty handy with illustrator

Comment

Easy as pie then!

Comment

Originally posted by GIBO View Post
                  Thx 4 the offer m8. Won't be going down that path however. The trackball version CPO's are completely different unfort ... so no easy illustrator modding

Comment

I like that style of cab, quite narrow, looks good mate
                    Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                    DSB Electrical Facebook
                    VAPS
                    Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                    Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by dezbaz View Post
                      I like that style of cab, quite narrow, looks good mate
                      The width of the cocktail is quite deceiving. It's actually as wide as most US uprights. The control panels are 603mm wide (1 foot, 11 3/4 inches). Thats about 70mm wider than a lowboy cp for reference.

Here's Wade's T&F cocktail after the resto. Without the extension base on. Drool!

Comment

Originally posted by spriggy View Post
                        The width of the cocktail is quite deceiving. It's actually as wide as most US uprights. The control panels are 603mm wide (1 foot, 11 3/4 inches). Thats about 70mm wider than a lowboy cp for reference.

Here's Wade's T&F cocktail after the resto. Without the extension base on. Drool!

Very Nice
                        Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                        DSB Electrical Facebook
                        VAPS

Comment

They are an awesome looking cocktail.

I'd love to build one myself one day. Good choice!

Comment

Whilst I wait on my 3 parts and artwork packages for the Lowboy project .. I put some time into this project whilst I'm on arvo shifts at work. Gives me a few midday hours before work.

Have fully revised the sketchup model, changing a few internal parts to match the original cab logistics better. Revised ALL of my digital pics from Wade's machine .. in and out ... as a guide. One more revision on the cabinet sides and i think it's ready for build time.

The cabinet will look confidentally identical externally... and pretty damn close internally. Things like the main cross beams that the upper part of the control panels are screwed to, were originally pressed up in mild steel, with a fancy extra flange. I've changed parts like this in certain ways to make construction a bit easier. EG.. this is now a 3/8" thick piece of wood/mdf, with a 2mm piece of sheet metal attached, pressed to suit (resting edge for the cardboard bezel) You get the gist

I had sourced a coin door for $15us ... but the thief wanted $85us shipping. "Lick my Balls' comes to mind All others parts have been sourced.

As expected, a few people will probably be interested in building this baby. Do you blame them The only problem I see are the CPO's. After the build is finished.. I'm going to try to compile a set of vector CPO's so that they can be used for AA members that require digital prints instead of forking out the $150us for screenprinted sets... if any are left. I wouldn't dream of asking Darin (Phoenix Arcade) for his set.
                            (#EDIT# 17/09/09. No longer will be vectoring the CPO's. Darin will be possibly restocking. Don't want to step on his toes at all)

I imagine the thread will stay pretty quiet now until the lowboys done...

stay tuned ....
                            Last edited by spriggy; 17th September 2009, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by spriggy View Post
                              I've changed parts like this in certain ways to make construction a bit easier. EG.. this is now a 3/8" thick piece of wood/mdf, with a 2mm piece of sheet metal attached, pressed to suit (resting edge for the cardboard bezel) You get the gist

stay tuned ....
                              I agree changing slightly is a practical idea.

It's not as if you are claiming it is an original.

My replicas are close to the original, and I am OK with that.

Lifes too short . . . .

Good one, I Look forward to the follow ups Spriggy
                              Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                              DSB Electrical Facebook
                              VAPS

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X