X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari Xybots

My original thread on this...
    http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...ghlight=xybots

My repairs in that thread were kind of bodgy and resulted in a so-so machine. I felt it deserved better...

This is a LAI cab that someone has hacked the harness to have a 22-pin connector and then hacked the other side of the harness back to Xybots.

I bought a new harness from QuarterArcade in USA. But it was Atari wiring and not LAI, so the plugs were different

You gotta love ebay sometimes. I have been looking for leaf switches or maybe replacement joysticks, maybe a replacement Audio board. Then I came across the perfect auction (Main PCB, Audio PCB, harness and 2 joysticks all tested). Only problem: US only. Oh well, if you don't ask, you don't get. So I ask the seller for shipping to Australia. He says no, but a few days later changes his mind because I am the only one who didnt want him to break up the auction or low ball him. So for around $200 shipped I have the gear....

Video:
    Blue would sometimes disappear: Dodgy re-wired cable from Main PCB. Replaced with new Atari cable: Had to swap Blue and Red pins. Luckily the Atari connectors were easy to rewire, the wires just poped out and clicked back in. Video now 100%

Sound:
    Left speaker had loud hum, even when in test mode.
    Replaced speaker: No help.
    Replaced cable from Audio PCB to speakers: No help.
    Replaced Audio PCB: Fixed
    Sound now 100%

Joysticks...
    Replaced deteriorated rubber ring on actuator replaced. This led to sticky controls.
    Replaced joysticks with "new" ones. These new ones have Gauntlet style leaf switches. Joysticks now 100%

Harness...
    Replaced LAI joystick harness with Atari original. This allowed me to pants off the dodgy connector and the whole cluster**** of tangled wires in the cab.

Result: 100% working original Atari Xybots

The art is yellowed and darkened. There is cigarette burns in places, so its been in a smoky environment. Would the art be cleanable? Or is the yellowing like fading?
    ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU

| My | |

i have a stash of leaf buttons

they look different to regular buttons and are mini leafs

love em to bits if you need some
    you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by MadMikeAU View Post
      My original thread on this...
      This allowed me to pants off the dodgy connector and the whole cluster**** of tangled wires in the cab.
      Has to be Arcade quote of the week

I love the word Cluster****!!
      sigpic

Comment

Its the only word in the English language that could come close to describing the innards of this cab (before I rewired).
        ...maybe, but then again "maybe" covers a lot of things, like: maybe Michael Jackson really is LaToya in drag, or maybe if Dorothy clicks her heels 3 times and says "There's no place like home" while she is at home, she would telefrag herself..." - MadMikeAU

| My | |

Comment

Just finished off putting the new joysticks in and, **** me, its a great thing having a fully working game!!! Spent ages playing it.

Now I have 2 spare 10-way joysticks. Would fetch a pretty penny if I put in leaf switches...hmmm...would also be good in a Saturn based machine, the twisting would be the left and right buttons: perfect for Panzer Dragoon Zwei .... hmmm...I do have that Saturn to JAMMA interface as well...and the Virtua Cop light guns...I smell another project

| My | |

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
          Working...
          X