Post up your Arcade Cab restorations logs and pictures here

X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taito Speed Race Resto (I hope)

Today my first video arcade resto project arrived. Its a Taito Speed Race Deluxe (1975) which was purchased on Gumtree as non-working.

​​​​​​I first saw the machine at a factory clearance sale held i. Melbourne some years back. I was curious about the project as Speed Race holds many fond memories for me as a child pumping many coins into the basic racer as arcade games first appeared. At the time the owner wanted too much for it and I was a bit nervous about taking it on. When it came up again I was able to convince myself that this was meant to be and also able to negotiate a price that I was more comfortable losing if all turns to shit.

I don't have much electronics experience but am able to do basic electronic troubleshooting as I have a Pinball collection which often requires troubleshooting. I have restored several pinnies so I sort of know whats involved and look forward to the challenges of this game.​

Im hoping the members of this forum will help me along my journey to bring this baby back to life.

First steps were to remove the monitor, which although it glows, I suspect may have some issues.

Once that was removed I removed the power supply and tested.

Here are some photos as I received it.

Let the fun begin !

wiredoug
    taito
    SeaJay
    Kaizen
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AxedBandit; 7 June 2021, 02:14 PM.

It looks like I may be missing a transformer I suspect. There is a plug A coming from the main transformer (240V-110V) and in the cabinet I can see a plug marked B.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Plug A.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	141.6 KB ID:	2213453 Click image for larger version  Name:	Plug B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	101.6 KB ID:	2213454 Click image for larger version

Name:	Missing Part.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	2213458

Any Thoughts?
    Attached Files

Comment

The picture with the multi-meter looks like that is your video and sound connectors running to the monitor bit hard to tell from the picture.

the extra plug looks like someone has tried to hack in a pc power supply at a guess to power the board.
      looks like you might be missing a power supply board.

Comment

Originally posted by Slypinball View Post
        The picture with the multi-meter looks like that is your video and sound connectors running to the monitor bit hard to tell from the picture.

the extra plug looks like someone has tried to hack in a pc power supply at a guess to power the board.
        looks like you might be missing a power supply board.
        Yep - Rookie Mistake and yes - looks like I am missing a power supply board.

Anyone have any idea on the board number or pinouts?

Comment

http://www.ukvac.com/forum/uploads/1...nside_Rear.JPG

Should look something like this inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
            http://www.ukvac.com/forum/uploads/1...nside_Rear.JPG

Should look something like this inside.
            Thanks Autosteve - I think mine is a bit older and has a different config inside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0592.jpeg
Views:	187
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	2213471

Comment

The CL5 I linked to looks like the ones we operated before they were converted to things like World Rally. Either way, work out what you need, I may happen to have what you need.

Comment

does anyone own a speed race deluxe similar to mine?

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1DO1ITigi0
                  Attached Files

Comment

As by your photos Axle show on the ID plate the machine was originally 100 volts input & now has green dymo tape with 240 volts I'd say the missing transformer was swapped out once. Also taito on AA here was doing one up too,

Comment

Originally posted by Slypinball View Post
                      Thats awesome - I have been struggling to find a photo of the transformer - Now if I can only get a part number....

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
                        As by your photos Axle show on the ID plate the machine was originally 100 volts input & now has green dymo tape with 240 volts I'd say the missing transformer was swapped out once. Also taito on AA here was doing one up too,
                        All the ones we did in Australia had a local 240-100 volt trany put in them and it got mounted on the wooden board mounted originally in the middle of the floor. Yours had a similar setup looking at the dust mark on the floor but looks like the wooden board with it's original taito transformer and power supply were swapped out for a caged power supply something like a Peter Chow....(the black cage thing in your picture laying on it's side).
                        The caged power supply is what we changed to when the machines were convertered. It is the better way to go because it gets rid of the original crude power supply Taito originally used. The Peter Chow was a far better power supply and it run off 240 volt or 100 and not just 100 volts like the original Taito. You still needed the 240-100 volt trany because while the power supply could run directly off the 240 volt local power which we did, the monitor chassis and the title header fluro tube/ ballast still required 100 volts and they were powered off the 240-100 volt transformer.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post

All the ones we did in Australia had a local 240-100 volt trany put in them and it got mounted on the wooden board mounted originally in the middle of the floor. Yours had a similar setup looking at the dust mark on the floor but looks like the wooden board with it's original taito transformer and power supply were swapped out for a caged power supply something like a Peter Chow....(the black cage thing in your picture laying on it's side).
                          The caged power supply is what we changed to when the machines were convertered. It is the better way to go because it gets rid of the original crude power supply Taito originally used. The Peter Chow was a far better power supply and it run off 240 volt or 100 and not just 100 volts like the original Taito. You still needed the 240-100 volt trany because while the power supply could run directly off the 240 volt local power which we did, the monitor chassis and the title header fluro tube/ ballast still required 100 volts and they were powered off the 240-100 volt transformer.
                          Thanks Autosteve

Im not 100% sure about the original being replaced as the plugs look original (regardless that someone looks like they have done a hack).

The challenge for me is by replacing the power supply I have no idea what voltages each of the pins needs and without any schematics i'm only going to be able to trace wires and guess the required voltage.

Do you have any idea on the type of Peter Chou trannie they would have used?

Comment

taito would know a lot of the answers your hunting for Ax.

Comment

This picture shows two plugs. The one with the stick on letter is original Taito. Any other plugs used in the base of the machine I would regard as non standard. There should be a different style but still Taito used around the monitor but they should still have the same style stickers on them.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/filedat...4&d=1623040529

As for Peter Chow arcade power supplys, ( not transformers), I don't think they still go under that name and I'm not sure whether that game required the negative voltages....-5 and -12vDC. Look at the voltages on the existing power supply and it's wires. Taito use different wire colours for different voltages so you should be fine to trace what each voltage is.

The voltages you will require are 5vDC, 12vDC but you may require -5vDC and -12vDC as well. Not real sure about that. See if these terminals are on the existing power supply or if they are used.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X