Super Hang On mini ride on restoration

Collapse

Post up your Arcade Cab restorations logs and pictures here

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting...good to know that the inner bike frame can be removed from the base. I wasn't aware of that and just gouged a bunch of my wall on the way into my basement lol. I was afraid to break the pot that controls the steering as you lean. I'd be interested in those stickers. I had bought some from Europe but it seems to be missing some which was kinda a bummer. I was nervous as heck the first time I did it too. I haven't seen how a CRT is mounted in the cabinet as mine arrived broken....but you might not need to discharge it to remove it from the cabinet. If you're able to take off the bubble and disconnect the cables to the chassis without getting close to the flyback wire/anode cap you should be able to unplug it and lift it straight out.

As for discharging it, I can give you advice, but it's kinda a dime a dozen. It's the concern of it that is hard to get past mostly. If you're looking to over come it, buy some nice insulated rubber gloves, and a discharge tool, you'll feel a bit better than some of the more experienced people who just seem to say "Oh yeah, shove a screw driver under there with an alligator clip". Ultimately the tools are basically just that, but the peace of mind of buying a specific tool might help you feel a bit more at ease.

As for your game, it looks really good! I hope to get there some day lol. Super bummed on the fact that the throttle cable is missing from mine. It seems custom unfortunately so I doubt I'll find a way to hook that up in the same way. I bought handlebars from an upright hoping it might be the same, but it's not. I found some electric scooter handle that seems to use a 5k ohm pot with 3 connections. I'm hoping it's 1:1...but considering the original manual lists it as a volume pot I'm not sure whether or not the original (or this pot) is linear or logarithmic. I think volume pots are typically logarithmic...I've got quite project ahead of me lol.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	THR-MAG5K-lg.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	2174695

Comment

Originally posted by sparksterz View Post
      Interesting...good to know that the inner bike frame can be removed from the base. I wasn't aware of that and just gouged a bunch of my wall on the way into my basement lol.
      haha yeah I have also lost some wall while moving it in haha

I'm not sure if it is possible to remove the bike from your base.... At least it will not be easy unless your base is not rotten.
      I believe I was lucky? It has been a fight with all those rotten screws, I ended up grinding 50% (?) of them off with a mini grinder... ending in the hospital with a splinter under my eye-bol. Even though it was a historical piece of Arcade which would stay forever with me I decided to let it remove as it was stabbing... so, ALWAYS WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES 😊
      Anyway... I was able to remove the big nuts with a long torque wrench, I only had to buy a 22mm (I believe) socket for it.
      From what I remember it can be enough to only remove the two nuts from the backside, then you might be able to move or hammer the frame to the back and lift it off.

I was afraid to break the pot that controls the steering as you lean I'd be interested in those stickers. I had bought some from Europe but it seems to be missing some which was kinda a bummer.
      He already replied my Email and told me that he is going to add them to his webshop today... from what I already have seen they look really tight.

I was nervous as heck the first time I did it too. I haven't seen how a CRT is mounted in the cabinet as mine arrived broken....but you might not need to discharge it to remove it from the cabinet. If you're able to take off the bubble and disconnect the cables to the chassis without getting close to the flyback wire/anode cap you should be able to unplug it and lift it straight out.

As for discharging it, I can give you advice, but it's kinda a dime a dozen. It's the concern of it that is hard to get past mostly. If you're looking to over come it, buy some nice insulated rubber gloves, and a discharge tool, you'll feel a bit better than some of the more experienced people who just seem to say "Oh yeah, shove a screw driver under there with an alligator clip". Ultimately the tools are basically just that, but the peace of mind of buying a specific tool might help you feel a bit more at ease.
      Yeah doing the job with a discharging tool would make me feel a lot better than the screw driver with alligator clip 😄
      But I don't know how such a tool looks like and where to buy it....
      https://www.amazon.com/capacitor-dis...discharge+tool ?

As for your game, it looks really good! I hope to get there some day lol. Super bummed on the fact that the throttle cable is missing from mine. It seems custom unfortunately so I doubt I'll find a way to hook that up in the same way. I bought handlebars from an upright hoping it might be the same, but it's not. I found some electric scooter handle that seems to use a 5k ohm pot with 3 connections. I'm hoping it's 1:1...but considering the original manual lists it as a volume pot I'm not sure whether or not the original (or this pot) is linear or logarithmic. I think volume pots are typically logarithmic...I've got quite project ahead of me lol.
      Thanks! I think that will be really tough to do indeed...... I don't know much about the pot... some puzzle to solve there 😊
      Attached Files

Comment

Ouch! Good to know. I know I should wear my safety glasses but sometimes I'm lazy...as for the discharging tool I bought mine from Bob Roberts, but he's in the US. You can see how he makes them here: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sn.../dp/B07HPCMFNV Probably not too feasible to ship it out there, but knowing how it's made and comparing it to others might be helpful..

This one looks good: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sn.../dp/B07HPCMFNV Though, with a rounded tip you might have trouble getting underneath the anode suction cap (which is the reason screwdrivers tend to be used).

Comment

Ouch! Good to know. I know I should wear my safety glasses but sometimes I'm lazy...as for the discharging tool I bought mine from Bob Roberts, but he's in the US. You can see how he makes them here: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sn.../dp/B07HPCMFNV Probably not too feasible to ship it out there, but knowing how it's made and comparing it to others might be helpful..

This one looks good: https://www.amazon.com/Golden-Age-Sn.../dp/B07HPCMFNV Though, with a rounded tip you might have trouble getting underneath the anode suction cap (which is the reason screwdrivers tend to be used).
          Both links are the same 😊 however I see those tools are looking just like the screwdriver-alligator clip homemade safety tool. Unfortunately I couldn't find such tool for sale.
          But the good news is that I have just ordered the floormat for the Super Hang-on. I found that not all Super Hang-On's got the same floormat. Mine was the version with black striped rubber. So I have ordered this:

Name:	super hang-on mat.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	2175246

On the same store I also found "my" Outrun floormat, which I was passively looking for some years.

Name:	Outrun.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2175247
          The photo is the black color, but grey can also be ordered... only problem is they sell them per 10 roles, which makes it €410 ($481) while I only need a very small piece... 1 role is already way too much. So I skipped the Outrun floormat... even though I am excited to have the Super Hang-on floormat tomorrow! 😄

Hopefully the mini ride on stickers are also soon online... for the finishing touch.
          (There are "Super Hang-on stickers" for sale, but those are for the upright arcade... those can not be used for the base and motor. https://www.arcadeartshop.com/produc...-usa-versions/)

Comment

Oops, here was the link: http://therealbobroberts.net/sb.html

Yeah, I had bought that upright sticker kit and figured it would be better than nothing, so...I'll be interested to see how this one looks

My Outrun doesn't have that type of a floormat, Mine has grooved channels like this:

Name:	8L1Lh38l.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2175291

Comment

Oops, here was the link: http://therealbobroberts.net/sb.html

Yeah, I had bought that upright sticker kit and figured it would be better than nothing, so...I'll be interested to see how this one looks

My Outrun doesn't have that type of a floormat, Mine has grooved channels like this:

Name:	8L1Lh38l.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2175291
              aaah thanks for the link! That solves one of the things that gave me a bad feeling about it: 'just wrapping wire around a screwdriver'... it slips right off.... but I have to make a hole in the screwdriver 😄

Thanks for letting me know about that Outrun floormat.... It made me think... why all those different floormats on the Arcades.
              Probably it was not so important and they just bought the floormat which was available in the region of build.
              I just can buy that grey grooved one, but I feel resistance as it is not the one which is on it right now...

Meanwhile I mounted the floormat on the Super Hang-on...

Before:

Name:	floormat-before.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	2177160

After: Click image for larger version

Name:	floormat-after.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	2177159

AFTER putting the floormat on the Super Hang-on I started to think again... and I guess I have put the wrong floormat on my Super Hang-on!
              It is the same floormat as the one which was there when I bought it, but this machine has been in multiple Arcades and I think that they have replaced the original floormat in one of those.
              - It was strange to see those screws going through the floormat (however I did it too)
              - All Super Hang-on flyers show grey floormats which are cut smaller than I did (I just 'copied' how it was when I bought it)
              - I have never seen a photo from an other Super Hang-on Mini Ride On with these floormats... but that's not a very valid argument as this might be the 'European region'-floormat. There are not so many (none?) photo's online from the 80s and 90s on which you can see the real original (not restored) Super Hang-on Arcade.

Anyway... Knowing this... who says that the pyramid floormat on my Outrun Upright is the original floormat... perhaps the grooved grey one was there when it came from the factory... 😱😄
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
              Working...
              X