Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build Astro City cabinet

Hi ppl,

Anybody out there seen plans for the "Astro City cabinet" or a similar cabinet. I like these for a upright cause it doesn't take up too much room and I like the look of them

you'd be hard pressed building one of these. the closest that you will get is the sega aero city cab design, as it was their last wooden cab. I would go so far as to say that it would be cheaper and easier just to buy one.

Comment

it is a nice cabinet. but being plastic would be very hard to buil hehehhe.

Comment

you just need a plastic injection moulding machine, and a mould. You could start the mould from finding an old cab and doing a clay mould of it. Then...nah just buy one dude!
        sigpic

Comment

just imange bring something like that at home and tell the wife what i am going to do. she wouldhit the roof hahahah

Comment

Im seriously thinking of building one also based on a Astro City.
            So far I'll be using mdf to get the basic shape but will modify it a bit so the dash is a bit further away from the monitor & incorporate some decent speakers next to the monitor.

As for a monitor, I'll be taking the tv route that has a SCART plug for RGB inputs

Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros when I can knock something up similar for easily half that... just going to take a longer time frame...

Comment

i was actually thinking of doing the same thing as you waks.

but need to more of a price comparison to see how better off it would be.
              it would want to be haff price or i'd just buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by graf
                it is a nice cabinet. but being plastic would be very hard to buil hehehhe.
                It's not all plastic. In fact, the majority is sheet steel. The plastic parts are usually merely the monitor bezel and control panel section.

Dunno why people get it in their heads that these things are 100% plastic. They wouldn't last in arcades if they were!

Originally posted by waks
                Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros
                a) 29" monitor

b) "Sega" logo (no seriously... try dealing direct with the Japan second hand market and see for yourself - and remember you're not allowed to buy Sega cabinets new unless you are a Japanese arcade operator!)

c) Power supply, wiring, etc, etc, etc.

There are cheaper NEW candies out there *cough*shamlessselfpromotion*cough*. The difference being you're not paying for the Japanese name. But if you want Astro, be prepared to pay Astro prices.
                Last edited by elvis; 21st August 2006, 12:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                | |

Comment

Originally posted by waks
                  Really I am finding it hard to justify the $1200 price ppl are charging for Astros when I can knock something up similar for easily half that... just going to take a longer time frame...
                  They are simply one of the best cab's of all time. The replacement cost of that nanao monitor is much more than the asking price alone.

Comment

i have them with monitor or without i just bought 4 with damaged chassis if anyone is keen and there not 1200 bucks

Comment

PM sent!!

Comment

You'd probably get an empty Astro (maybe even with sticks and buttons) off Gatherer for less than the price of the timber you'd use to make any cab yourself!
                        Bite my shiny metal ass!

Comment

Originally posted by microwrx
                          You'd probably get an empty Astro (maybe even with sticks and buttons) off Gatherer for less than the price of the timber you'd use to make any cab yourself!
                          thats what i'd be hoping for.
                          even if i had to replace sticks and buttons (which i'd prolly do anyways)

Comment

ok for every one who pmed me i may as well just post i have 5 empty astros with both flat an box type speakers on top some have all buttons and sticks some have just a control panel some have power supplies and amps some have nothing all however have doors some were parted out when new ie i bought them from japan like that and some have been used in an arcade but they would all clen up with a bit of car polish none have locks i was planning to ebay them for a buy it now of 100 bucks or there abouts for them

Comment

Originally posted by gatherer000
                              Snip.
                              cool let us know if you put em on ebay.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X