My new Cab - Interstellar Sit Down circa 1983

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Cab - Interstellar Sit Down circa 1983

Well those who were following a post in the trading area will realise that last night I went to pick up a Interstellar Sit Down Cab.

Cab was worse for wear than I was given the impression, however well worth the money I think. Boards were loose inside, whoever had it before the guy I brought it from ripped out the monitor, chassis, laser disk and laser disk player, also a few other things, just not sure what. They left the insides in a bit of a mess, looks like they pried off the coin door to get to the coin box, buggered if I know why. Still have what looks like the original coin mech, but not 100% certain.

My partner freaked when she saw how big it was, but I managed to squeeze it into my garage!

Fortunately it breaks in two pieces and has rollers in strategic positions. No way is a single person job.

I was called a geek and not allowed to take my camera when I went to pick it up (yes, thats a big thumb print on my forehead!), so I cannot show how it looks when split in half, however I took some pics once in my garage, and I havn't put it totally back together, so shoul d be obvious. Well here's the pics:

Rear/Side view:

Close up of rear window, not too bad nick, flash makes it look bad, but no scratches and seems in good condition:

Front/Side view. Panels are removed off the front, I have two, but missing one.

Inside front CP and monitor:

Inside front below CP:

Inside rear seat and window:

Inside rear up high, showing the speakers:

Inside front of cab, top section:

Inside front of cab, bottom section:

Amazingly no tears or ciggy burns on seat.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the cab. I cannot restore it to the orig game, as I reckon the laser disk would be a pain to source and then there is the issue of the disk player. I'm thinking either mame it, or maybe put in a jama harness and maybe something along those lines.

Personally I've always been a big fan of flying games, so maybe I should make it jamma and put in an orig board that uses a flight stick.

I will most prob have to strip it back and redo the artwork, may keep the windows, they seem in incredible nick! So maybe I should restore to the original art work.

The cab is solid, no water damage. some damage due to shipping which needs to be repaired, but nothing too major. If people are interested I can pic all the damage so its clear. more pissed off at whoever ripped out some of the components, no respect was given to the cab.

Original speakers still in it, that's two at the top rear, two either side below the CP and a sub woofer under the seat (hard access, have to turn the back part of the cab upside down to get to it ). CP seems all orig, including the yoke and the buttons.

Oh, btw, the bottom portion of the front of the cab has rails with a tray on it so you can slide it out, quite nice

Suggestions as to what to do are welcome.

Check the monitor size if it is around 21 inch use a PC and monitor and run Daphne

Comment

Very Nice..

That thumb print on your forehead cant be too bad you still got it. Well done..

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Tracy View Post
        Check the monitor size if it is around 21 inch use a PC and monitor and run Daphne
        Apparently it was a 19" but looking at the inside, I don't see a reason why I couldn't fit a larger monitor in. All depends how original I wish to keep the cabinet, no chance of ever using it for what it was originally used so maybe making the screen bigger wouldn't be a baddie.

Had to google to find out what Daphne is didn't realise they had emulators for laser disks, nice.

However as it's still got the power supply and so forth it would be nice to keep it as a non pc based cab. I'm in the middle of my cocktail cab build which will be mame.

The only laser disk game I was ever aware of was Dragon's Lair, was there any half decent ones that were flying focused (other than Interstellar that is)?

Comment

Well done James. Put some pics in the gallery as you do it up.
          "Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain. But when you put it in the body of a great white shark, ooohh! Suddenly you've gone too far!"

Comment

looks good, i definatly wouldnt have been able to store it here so im glad you got a good deal out of it. Looks in preety good nick, but yea, it looks a little worse then how he described it. When he described it to me he said there were just a few chips come out near the bottom from travel. Either way, great catch ;D keep it as a jamma and install some flying pcb

Comment

That is a pretty damn nice cab.

I second jammafying it and sourcing a nice flying board

I also think that there is plenty of room to tuck away a PC running Daphne, just make sure you use a j-pac to avoid a bit of the purist wrath

Comment

Throw in a PC running Chuck Yeager's Air Combat!

The graphics are intense!
                My WANTED list...
                Bubble Bobble PCB - Your love
                Many Thanks to SectionZ
                sigpic

Comment

did he have any other cabs that he is going to end up selling? or was it only that one and the marquee?

Comment

Originally posted by opm881 View Post
                    did he have any other cabs that he is going to end up selling? or was it only that one and the marquee?
                    no sorry mate, was only that and the marquees. Though strangely there is someone in Ormeau selling a tonne of stuff on ebay, wonder if its anyone here.

Comment

I may be able to source some parts for you if you wanted to try and convert it back to interstellar? The laser player it used was a Pioneer LVD1000 (or LVD1001) which is common, but unreliable. Best bet would be to use a LaserAce with a better quality player (Pioneer LVD-6000 or 8000). You could also run Cobra Command and Esh's Aurunmilla via a conversion if so desired. If you did go this way, install an NTSC TV over a monitor, as you would also need an NTSC converter card for the laser player if using a standard monitor.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Comment

Originally posted by Johns-Arcade View Post
                        I may be able to source some parts for you if you wanted to try and convert it back to interstellar? The laser player it used was a Pioneer LVD1000 (or LVD1001) which is common, but unreliable. Best bet would be to use a LaserAce with a better quality player (Pioneer LVD-6000 or 8000). You could also run Cobra Command and Esh's Aurunmilla via a conversion if so desired. If you did go this way, install an NTSC TV over a monitor, as you would also need an NTSC converter card for the laser player if using a standard monitor.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.
                        Thanks for the heads up on that. I'm still tossing up what to do with it. I most prob wont start work on it that will require purchasing stuff for a little bit, my partner is still in shock over it! I was looking at that box of bits on ebay for $5 and she said NO!

Comment

Someone here could buy it for you and take it to the next meet

Comment

Originally posted by WOKA View Post
                            Someone here could buy it for you and take it to the next meet
                            Now that would be mightily nice of someone if someone did that for me

Comment

nice cab

so would you get in trouble if you traded cash for the parts? try that trick

hmm a pc with the last starfighter running would be sweet option
                              you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X