Hankin Cocktail Restore - Roxbury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hankin Cocktail Restore - Roxbury

I have a Hankin cocktail which is in fair/rough condition, but I want to make it very good, and make it more original where possible. The idea is to get this out of the shed and into the lounge

At some stage someone has resprayed it and done a very poor job in some areas.

Here is a list of things I need to do/ achieve:

- Convert from 2P on one side to 1P either side
    - Fix vertical deflection monitor problem (I reckon a new Jomac chassis will make it like new!!)
    - Massively clean up
    - Repaint
    - Remove panel from where coinbox has been removed and find a coinbox
    - Re-wire (the way the wiring has been done can't be easily changed to 1P per side - will install new harness).
    - Locate an original Hankin glass top, or get a nice new glass top made if I can't get find one for ages
    - Reconnect the fan (and maybe get a replacement fan??)

Here are some pics:

From this angle it looks fairly good

Looks a bit crappy from here though

Look closely, it seems to have alignment problems??

Its filthy inside

Heres where the coinbox was removed and replaced with a wooden panel (dried glue everywhere)

So after gutting the cabinet (taking plenty of Pics, and noting which screws go where, what wires connect to where etc) time to remove the panel where the coin box goes. Start with drilling holes as using a saw was too hard!! I then knocked the panel out.

Now with a chisel I removed the rest - part of the way

All gone now

Here is a cash box I located. Its a good fit, I will need to do something to fit a strip of wood underneath the cashbox as you can see!
    Last edited by Roxbury; 6th February 2008, 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Is that the one from up north?
    Good score on getting the coinbox.
    I had the same monitor chassis originally in one of my LAI cocktails, they are pretty ancient, its a wonder the flyback hasn't died yet(metal box). Defiantly get a new chassis from Joey.
    I was wondering where you can get the 240v (?) replacement fans, the one in my cocktail is so loud and I need to replace it also.
    Are you going for a MAME or 48 in 1?
    sigpic

Comment

Nice

I recently restored my Hankin, Love the looks of these...
      Can you get any more coin boxes, mines is missing one and can't find any anywhere
      Last edited by Savage; 6th February 2008, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DKong View Post
        I had the same monitor chassis originally in one of my LAI cocktails, they are pretty ancient, its a wonder the flyback hasn't died yet(metal box). Defiantly get a new chassis from Joey.
        I was wondering where you can get the 240v (?) replacement fans, the one in my cocktail is so loud and I need to replace it also.
        Yeah its the one from up North. I reckon I will definately get a new chassis. They are very expensive, but maybe something like this will be a suitable fan replacement! DSE Fan

Definately 48 in 1 rather than Mame, I want to still be able to put PCBs in as well!!

Originally posted by Savage View Post
        Nice.
        I recently restored my Hankin, Love the looks of these...
        Can you get any more coin boxes, mines is missing one and can't find any anywhere
        I might be able to get a coin box, I probably won't know for sure for a couple of months, the guy I got it from is a nice guy but very slow. I will need to hassle him again soon for some more parts.

PS Are you able to edit your post to get rid of my pics showing up in the quote again?? Cheers!!
        Last edited by Roxbury; 6th February 2008, 10:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Roxbury View Post
          They are very expensive, but maybe something like this will be a suitable fan replacement! DSE Fan
          Cheers thats what I need, but your right $39 is expensive Good idea to go with the 48 in 1, it will keep it more original.
          sigpic

Comment

ive got a 110v fan here out of a machine if you want original

actually ive got about 20 or so at a mates house out of machines
            you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

PM me ur addy Ill send you up 6 new caps for the ends of the legs
              and the large pop rivets used for the side grills(save you buying a whole packet of them just to use a couple)
              The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DKong View Post
                Have you tried Jaycar ? they have 240V fans & are cheaper than DSE.http://www.jaycar.com.au/productResu...Min=&priceMax=
                cheers Steve.
                DE Lethal Weapon 3
                Williams Space Shuttle
                Stern Nugent
                GTB Pioneer, Bally HI-LO Ace
                48 in 1 Lowboy, Final Lap3.

Comment

Added a strip of MDF to along the bottom where the cashbox goes. Nailed and glued it in, and it went a bit wobbly. I need to sand a bit off it as well to make it flush.

I put some bog along the strip, sanded it back. It looks heaps better. Not perfectly straight, but good enough I reckon.

The speaker grill has a heap of rust on it on one side. It also looks as if it was sprayed when there was a heap of rust on it as well. Sanding it back worked well, but rust has formed in the holes a bit as well. Call me crazy, but using a little handheld drill tool with patience I can remove the rust from inside the holes.

Comment

Originally posted by Roxbury View Post
                    Call me crazy, but using a little handheld drill tool with patience I can remove the rust from inside the holes.
                    I don't call that crazy, that's doing the job properly. Great to see you taking the time to restore it. I would kill for one of these hankins.

Unfortunately the days of finding a bargain to restore are long gone around my way.

Keep up the pics , love to see how it turns out.
                    and suddenly, nothing happened, but it happened very suddenly mind you.

Comment

Mate I used a wad of steel wool to clean the grills it works a treat
                      The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

i was lazy and got mine sand blasted and powdercoated

Comment

Originally posted by davefjedi View Post
                          Mate I used a wad of steel wool to clean the grills it works a treat
                          Yeah I tried that and a wire brush on an angle grinder. Problem was it wouldn't get inside the holes. The surface is good though. Whoever sprayed this before sprayed over the rust. About a third of the holes have a small amount of rust inside which will show when painted.

Comment

Whoever converted the cab from 1P per side to 2P on one side did a real hack job on the control panel. The control panel you see is ruined. I will find an original one to replace it (or both maybe??)

The fitting of the parts of the cab here aren't flush, so with some glue I will attempt to straighten things up.

The front panel has plenty of dings. This is before I put some bog on it and sanded it down further.
                            Front_panel_sanded.JPG

Comment

That CP looks like Swiss Cheese Wonder how easy it will be to source a couple of Hankin CP's

That cab is going to be so smooth (and clean) , maybe better than new!
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X