Atari Championship Sprint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari Championship Sprint

Well picked up the bohemeth Championship Sprint cab today $70.00, just under two cartons of beer, but will most likely take a ship load more to get running.
    From Rollerballs thread http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...t=atari+sprint
    Man he was right this thing weighs a tonne.
    So here are the first opening shots, I'm sure this beast had its own eco system going on inside
    Start with the insides
    The power supply WTF is that black pebbly crap, didn't want to examine to much and was sucked into vacuum sphere (that after photo later)

A close up, this badboy has some surface cancer, we have to operate and not a minute to soon

More filth

The PCB looks cleanish phew, but seems to be missing some roms

Destined for our own Foot

the further we dig the more grime we find, sound board caked in crap

Thu neck yoke is busted, and there are funny worm like lines on the tube, are worms living in the tube and shitting black balls

Oh yeah the missing plastic, no not the Pinball IJ one but the one used to hold the second steering wheel in place, found behind control panel

Made a start today, should look a lot tidier in the next photos
    sigpic

Good score ,now the fun begins

Comment

Nice pick up! Keep us posted on any progress made.

Regards,

Johns-Arcade.

Comment

Dkong, i still have a spare CPU board here from my machine....those chips aren't missing they are suppose to be blank.... There should be two missing in the row of chips.

Comment

Ah yes it is a labour of love really. I reckon if you restore something from poor condition, you end up appreciating it a lot more.

Comment

Yep when finished you will have to have a Taswegian meet
            may have to row over there to have a game
            The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Nice find.
              Whenever a tube suffers sudden decompression the phospher often falls off leaving the little worm shapes, if you see this on a tube its history for sure.
              Always interested in Retro and Current gaming

https://www.gamedude.com.au

Comment

Nice work DKong. I love that game! Can you get repro artwork for the cab and control panel?
                Man cannot live with just one pinball.
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the comments and advice everyone

Originally posted by stu View Post
                  Dkong, i still have a spare CPU board here from my machine....those chips aren't missing they are suppose to be blank.... There should be two missing in the row of chips.
                  Good news, thats a relief.

Originally posted by davefjedi View Post
                  Yep when finished you will have to have a Taswegian meet
                  may have to row over there to have a game
                  hmm there's a thought

Originally posted by Shock_And_Awe View Post
                  Nice work DKong. I love that game! Can you get repro artwork for the cab and control panel?
                  I have no idea, would be interested to know though
                  sigpic

Comment

Did a bit of cleaning, not to bad under all that crud

Under control panel

Soundboard and behind coin slot, cleaned the PCB with Isopropyl, bought a few new stainless screws $1.20 spent so far

The top with a lot of cleaning, brown seen in grill is not rust but the naked chipboard, Authentication stickers intact.

Haven't really touched this section but adding the before shot, the chipboard at the bottom two corners , next to the foot pedals are poor. I think this section unbolts so will make it easier to work on/rebuild if thats the case

Cleaned a wheel tonight, and stoked to find the steering housing which was broken available as NOS, this was making the wheel sit in limbo.

Before

After, Pinball cleaning products/tips are useful, Never dull metal polish will get some autosol and maybe redo, plus novus for plastics

I also might have a NOS Control Panel overlay lined up, heres hoping. I will be able to strip the whole CP and bring it up light new
                    sigpic

Comment

you are an inspiration to us all! I just wish i had the money and the space to do this more or to finally start mine hehe
                      In My "arcade":

-Gottlieb Stargate Pinball Machine 1995 () ()
                      -U-turn candy dispensing machine ()

More to come!

Comment

Originally posted by shooter View Post
                        you are an inspiration to us all! I just wish i had the money and the space to do this more or to finally start mine hehe
                        Cheers
                        The inspiration comes from this site $71.20 spent so far, the new steering housing and CP overlay will double that . and a new monitor will run it up a fair bit more (at least it should last a while)
                        I think its more a time factor with these sort of things nearly two hours on one steering wheel, cleaning polishing, polishing

Space whats that I need more room
                        sigpic

Comment

Cleaned the Power supply section and inside today, didn't go overboard but looks a hell of a lot better. Scrubbed the bottom with a scotchbrite (was going to sand but CBF ) Sprayed a coat of Triple thick left over from a Pin project to get rid of the "not Arcade smell"(think it was Rat piss and gained a quick buzz
                          Still under $5.00 spent so far, hours spent about 10 but loving the work

Does anyone know what the yellow wire from the stepdown transformer (2nd photo) should be connected to. It was like this when I received it.

Also can a mod change the title to Championship instead of Champoinship it makes me feel like a mushroom ship

No need to repaint in here, original service sheet still intact

A couple of rust spots still on the PS frame, the camera tells no lies. Maybe get chromed or replaced if the rest works out. Still a lot better than before.

The overall inside.

comments welcome
                          sigpic

Comment

nice and original
                            great to see
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gemminislxau View Post
                              nice and original
                              great to see
                              Quite surpised myself to see what a bit of TLC can do, I think keeping it original is important. Just think this cab was destined for the tip in a few days as the guy who bought it for $45.00 could not get it to run (busted monitor yoke) like its going to work like that
                              He said he hooked a power cord up and the lights worked on the coin door, just hope he didn't change plugs around on the PSU

Seems the game only requires 5volts, no 12volts needed, and the sound board runs off the 110 volt stepdown I think.

Hey rollerball I need a photo of your PS in the bottom of the cab (the whole section would be cool) or are you to busy spinning wheels
                              sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X