Taito Space Invaders/Lunar Rescue cocktail restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taito Space Invaders/Lunar Rescue cocktail restoration

The time has come to restore this classic. The cabinets are not hard to find but to find an original, working b&w working SI was.

I purchased it in working condition. Someone had glued cellophane coloured strips over the monitor though it was all removed easily.

I had the colour overlay from a parted SI cocktail so that went back on the 13 inch monitor, though it may still be just a true black & white only release. ID tag under table has Space Invaders B.W. (SH) I don't know what SH means

The monitor just needed some quick adjustments for the picture and the volume on the gameboard was found to be turned down. Volume is opposite to the rest of the games seperate volume controls which is good to the unaware as it has saved the speaker from abuse. Previous owner though it had sound problems.

Under the table it has all the paperwork stating its a Taito Space Invaders, 'serial/inspected by' sticker. Board volume controls just needs to be stapled back on.

It came with its Taito 7800 key and original instructions. The 7800 side also says Tokyo, Japan above 7800.

Also came with some large schematics and part diagrams of each gameboard and internal boards.

All the parts inside the cabinet are still original and have matching stamped serial numbers including the board.
    The board has 2 games on it via a switch. The Space Invaders game has been changed at some stage to a Ivan Stern - Space War, similar to Space Invaders with enhanced levels. I'll change this back at some stage to Taito - Space Invaders. The other game is Taito - Lunar Rescue. Board is TVN00008

It has its instruction cards and coin box. I have spare original coin box paperwork go under the table.

Plans are new glass top(while I hunt for a Taito original), re-chrome legs, powdercoat the body inside and out and find some nice control panels. I have brand new replacement ones though would like clean originals.

I multigame rom kit will also go on.

I have bought and sold plently of arcade machines, but this one's a keeper
    I also have Taito SI part 2 colour cocktail with no board. I had all the parts to convert it to b&w before buying this one so now I'll collect the parts to restore that back too and keep the spare gear for the b&w. When finished I'll put up some more pics.

Last edited by tevo; 7th November 2007, 08:05 PM.

awsome

Comment

looking good mate... cabs in great nik i reckon keen to see the progress

Comment

welcome to the forum great way to make an entrance
        You should mame that baby
        why is the multi game rider you have there any info on it ??? link to a website mabe
        The best action is wrist action!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by davefjedi View Post
          welcome to the forum great way to make an entrance
          You should mame that baby
          why is the multi game rider you have there any info on it ??? link to a website mabe
          Mame is a great thing though there is no way I would destroy this piece of history by turning it a mame machine. The Space Invaders part 2 I would consider .

The multi game is made by Braze Technoligies.
          Gives you Space Invaders, Space Invaders part 2, Jatre Spectre, Lunar Rescue, Space Laser, Balloon Bomber, Galaxy Wars, Super Earth Invasion through the original board. Cool, easy upgrade.

http://www.thinvaders.co.uk/multi-game.html

http://www.thinvaders.co.uk/sigames.html

Comment

nice

so those panels are original spacies then

i can get a few of em but there all used ive seen them and didnt know if they were original or bootlegs and i cant read japanese
            you can always expect change in life..except from vending machines

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
              nice

so those panels are original spacies then

i can get a few of em but there all used ive seen them and didnt know if they were original or bootlegs and i cant read japanese
              They are for Space Invaders, though I'm sure Taito also used the same cabinet with the same looking control panel to release other games too from what I have seen for sale.
              My Taito - Space Invaders part 2 colour cocktail had the same control panels in Japanese, but had 8-way control instead of 2-way the black & white does so they could install other games.

There are english text control panels, which look alot nicer. I've got a set from a part 1 I put in my SI part 2, more commonly seen in the US and UK. Now you can understand the Japanese

Comment

Umm... scan away boys..! Off you go, post the link.

Comment

Originally posted by woka View Post
                  Umm... scan away boys..! Off you go, post the link.
                  Ill second the request

Comment

Very nice, I like.
                    Wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing Tubeman.sigpic

Comment

i just won a taito cab on ebay!!!!!

needs alot of restoring... i need legs and a top... illb calling on u for help

Comment

so those ones pictured are for part 2 are they (english text)

cause if anyone wants to by me a scanner i have a a pair of CPS i came across today artwork is near minty and on perspex with original two-ways and complete harness (i know these are in demand so sorting that part out)

saw a heap of worn metal ones too if there is enough interested i can get em

intgod i can help with certain goodies

Comment

Originally posted by narf View Post
                          so those ones pictured are for part 2 are they (english text)
                          Those are off a part 1 b&w.

The english ones I see on part 1's as the part 2's usually overseas have a totally different control panel in the same cab. Though in Australia we seem to have just have the same jap text control panels for 1 and 2. Haven't seen enough part 2's to be totally sure though.
                          Last edited by tevo; 3rd September 2008, 07:10 PM.

Comment

yeah ive seen several today (half a dozen or so) in jap and this one was identical in english

gunna send em to ebay. there all complete with artwork under perspex all wiring there and two-ways work great

this thread got me thinking about them

Comment

Originally posted by intigod View Post
                              i just won a taito cab on ebay!!!!!

needs alot of restoring... i need legs and a top... illb calling on u for help
                              was that the one without legs? If so I know where I can obtain an origional set for you wont be for a few months though

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X