Neo Geo LAI 4 Slot Restoration Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neo Geo LAI 4 Slot Restoration Project

Just posting this here, will be starting a restore on this one shortly, going to try document along the way.

Here's how it looked when i picked it up. Cab was working ok, sound has some minor issues and the video is a little screwy as well. Magnetic field heavy on the top of screen, i think from incorrect speaker replacements. Otherwise working fine. Going to strip it down as much as i can and give it a nice rebuild.

Click image for larger version

Name:	neocab.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	1914094

Name:	DSC_4464.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	1914095

Name:	DSC_4450.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	1914096

Bezel, speakers and marquees removed.

Name:	DSC_4494.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	392.0 KB
ID:	1852944

Control panel out, memory card reader still there.

Name:	DSC_4503.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1852937

Memory card reader be gone!

Name:	DSC_4536.jpg
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	1852938

Pretty much all internals removed, including the 2 shelves that house all the bits.

Name:	DSC_4585.jpg
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	1852939

Name:	DSC_4588.jpg
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	1852940

The power system, distribution box, crt isolation transformer and the arcade PSU. I feel like i need to replace the crt isolation TF, i don't really know about those so i'll need to ask for advice on a replacement.

Name:	DSC_4598.jpg
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1852941

Chassis.... The guy i got it from said he had the chassis fully serviced recently... ahem ahem..... ok.... Maybe i'm just spoilt because i've had Jomac do work for me before. Needless to say i'll be sending it to him for a workover.

Name:	DSC_4603.jpg
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	1852943

Name:	DSC_4600.jpg
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	1852942

Anyways, the long part starts now, restoring everything. I've ordered a few bits to get started, will probably do the CP first.

Comment

Those cabs have a very thin piece of aluminum sheet between the speakers and the tube to stop the speaker magnets effecting the tube. Take that out and you get what you are talking about. Nothing special about the sheet. Any aluminum blocks magnetic effect from passing though it.

Comment

Originally posted by Autosteve View Post
        Those cabs have a very thin piece of aluminum sheet between the speakers and the tube to stop the speaker magnets effecting the tube. Take that out and you get what you are talking about. Nothing special about the sheet. Any aluminum blocks magnetic effect from passing though it.
        Thanks for the info, it's not there on this cab. I thought it might have been from a speaker upgrade that had more powerful speakers installed. I'll look into getting some sort of shielding for it, will wait until i get the chassis back and when i get around to this part i'll see if i can shield it! Cheers.

Comment

Here's a few pics of what the cab looks like when you gut it.

Name:	cab-empty.jpg
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	1853101

Name:	cab-empty2.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1853102

Now i had planned that i was going to do some custom work to this cab on the interior.... but the interior is in such good condition, i've decided i'm just going to clean it up and put it all back together and keep it as original as possible. I feel like this is a much better cab to preserve, rather than a cab for a project.

So... i started on the wheel panel. Bolts and nuts were rusty... i was going to citric bath and use the original nuts, but i just decided it was easier to get some new ones. I also filled a very small section of the laminate where it was chipped. I used a wood filler product. I took the panel to bunnings and they colour matched the paint... they told me it wouldnt be exact due to the sheen finish etc etc etc.. i don't really care, i just wanted it to touch up, so it's fine. It's actually wall paint!! It's a similar colour anyways. The L brackets were sanded and then painted again with matte black rattle can paint.

BEFORE

Name:	wheels-before.jpg
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1853103

Name:	wheels-before2.jpg
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	1853104

Name:	wheels-before3.jpg
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	1853105

AFTER

Name:	wheels-after1.jpg
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	1853106

Name:	wheels-after3.jpg
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	1853107

Name:	wheels-after2.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1853108

Not that exciting, but it's a start!!!

Chassis has been sent to Jomac to see what he can do with it.

- - - Updated - - -

So, the sides of this cabinet are red laminate on the outside, and black laminate on the inside..... they must have run out of the Red/Black combo... because the right side of the cab is red on both sides, and it's been painted black on the inside. It's starting to come off on the inside where things rub against it. If you didn't know it was painted, you wouldn't be able to tell comparing it to the left side, but it is. I was a little worried if i tried to paint it, it might change colours, which would annoy me... but i couldn't leave it how it was, it was bugging me...

So... Here's how it was before. You can see the paint is rubbing off to reveal the red laminate underneath.

Name:	side1-before1.jpg
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1853110

Name:	side1-before2.jpg
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1853111

Removed the T molding, taped everything up to protect from overspray... and away i went.

Name:	side1-after1.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1853112

Here's how it looks now, after it's dried. I was really surprised how it came up... there's still a little red visible there, but that area is not visible when the machines together, its where the bezel/monitor surround/glass sits.

Name:	side1-after2.jpg
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1853113

Name:	side1-after4.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	1853114

Name:	side1-after5.jpg
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	1853115

Comment

So here's a before and after of the cabinet floor. There's a floor layer that sits just above the actual bottom of the cab. It has the coin box housing, and the brace for sliding in the wooden board that has power supplies on it.

BEFORE: Coin box top was pretty rusty, the metal slide that braces the power board had a crappy finish, screws were also crappy. Dirty all over. There's also a piece of perspex that is there for the coin box to slide in and out, when it was installed they didn't remove the protective paper from the perspex, you an see it on there, it's brown in colour, it makes it look like wood, but it's actually perspex.

Name:	cabfloor-before.jpg
Size:	209.9 KB
ID:	1853251

AFTER: So I stripped and repainted the coin box bracket, and the metal bracket for the power board to slide into. I gave the stick of ply a little sand, it was a bit discoloured and stained on top, just a light sand on this. Cleaned the entire floor all over, it came up pretty well. You can see i've removed the paper cover from the perspex that acts as a slide track for the coin box. Very pleased how this came up! I could have painted the whole floor and made it look all new like, but i really don't want to do that, trying to keep it as original as possible! The rusty coin box had to be restored though, rust gotta go! If anyone is wondering, i got rid of the rust with citric acid in some water. 24 hours and it was gone!

Name:	cabfloor-after.jpg
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1853252

Here's a couple of before and after of rusty and then no more rust after 24 hours in a citric acid bath. This is the coin box brace and the hinge from the main door. This is before i painted them, just wanted to show before and after of rust removal. The paint on both was just crappy rattle can paint so the citric acid took most of it off as well. I repainted both with rattle can paint as well! They both come up very nice.

Name:	hinge-before.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1853254

Name:	hinge-after.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1853253

Name:	coin-before.jpg
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	1853255

Name:	coin-after.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1853256

Comment

Really interesting and I appreciate the detail you've gone to with your posts, Stu, any update on this?

Comment

Likewise, I appreciate the detail it is really good mate. Am gonna steal some ideas to restore my Viper cab this year!
                Wanted - Neo Geo AES games (PM me Please)
                Wanted - CPS2 game boards (PM me Please)

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                Working...
                X