Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pokie reels not spinning

Collapse

Threads on restorations of Electromechanical Arcade machines which include Bowlers, Pitch and Bat, Shooters etc

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pokie reels not spinning

I'm guessing this will be a pretty dumb question but can anyone help. I've got 2 mechanical pokies that have been sitting around. I tried them last night and both have the same problem - pull the handle and the reels barely spin. Any advice on fixing this?

Sent from my CPH1701 using Aussie Arcade mobile app
    Wanted: Aquarius backglass, any Gottlieb EM bits and pieces - nothing is junk to me

Dried up oil. Depending on machine some you can pull the handle till just before it releases then manually spin the reels to free them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yer, it will be old solidified grease in the wheel mechs. Work the machine as you have been doing with the tray that holds the machine inside the cabinet in the out position, (they usually have a knurled bolt holding them in the closed position so you need to remove that allowing the tray to pull out). Just make sure the tray can slide out on a secure surface or the machine will tip over potentially crushing you.
      Work the mech as you have been doing but this time now that you can see the back, you will notice a number of spring loaded fingers that slide down engaging the gears on each wheel to start the wheels spinning. Inside the gears there is grease. Clean it out and apply new grease. The problem should be gone.
      If you use degreaser, be very careful not to get it on the wheel faces as you will "never" get it off them.
      Just manually scrapping out the majority and replacing it with new lithium grease is usually all that is required.

If the time the reels spin is to short, you will notice something that looks like a gyroscope. This is the timing mechanism that determines the wheel spin time duration. Again, clean out the old grease and put in new thinner grease and this will have it spinning much faster and for longer.
      This will make the reels spin for longer before they are allowed to stop.

Comment

Easy to fix engine de-greaser, water rinse & warm air dry, then re-oil with machine oil. DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE REELS.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gemini2544 View Post
          Easy to fix engine de-greaser, water rinse & warm air dry, then re-oil with machine oil. DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE REELS.
          thats a neat looking bandit. How does the jackpot reels in the top box work?

Comment

Originally posted by rod71 View Post
            Putting out the feelers for my next early Gotlieb project

Comment

Alternates 1 cent for every 10 cents pulled. Controlled by a simple relay PCB.

Comment

About 3 cans of Yield will do it.
                After that a bit of a spray with Lanolin will help stop the yield drying out, and yes heaps of working the mechs

Comment

Nup! it's more or less just a counter. 1 cent for every 10 cent pull.

Comment

Inox spray can fixes everything

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Comment

I said grease because the machine I had from the very early 60s, ( 3 reel, 1 shilling machine), had never been touched for years and had grease that had turned to like clay. The machine certainly didn't like it and spinning was only happening because the grease had cracked around the moving parts.
                      After removing most of it without tearing the machine to bits, I used clear spray lithium grease. This is the same grease used on things like car door hinges where clothing is likely to touch but you don't want it staining the clothing. Thin enough to spray out a nozzle in a pressure pack but with no splashing and sticks like shit to a blanket.

Comment

The Aristo service manual for these mechanical mechs does suggest grease in a couple of spots, and light machine oil for the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Alternates 1 cent for every 10 cents pulled. Controlled by a simple relay PCB.
                        Neat! Does it reset once the jackpot has been achieved?

Comment

The Aristo service manual for these mechanical mechs does suggest grease in a couple of spots, and light machine oil for the rest.

- - - Updated - - -

Neat! Does it reset once the jackpot has been achieved?
                          No, that's a manual reset for the attendant. I have avoided greasing reels for decades I just grease the large metal on metal parts the rest is machine oil. Works fine for me.

Comment

No, that's a manual reset for the attendant.
                            Ah OK cool. So I see there are 2 jackpots. Reading the back panel it mentions the lit red arrow. So the jackpot is for $$$$ does the red arrow alternate between the 2 jackpots between spins?

- - - Updated - - -

So just some interesting fun facts regarding Jackpots in old Aussie mechanical bandits.

We exported a shit ton of these things to the UK back in the 1960's and a lot of them had visible jackpot mechs built into the belly panel. So it had a clear window where you'd see the coins accumulate. If you hit the jackpot of 777 etc, a solenoid would open the trap door of the mech and release all the coins!

So why don't we see them here?

NSW government banned any kind of visible jackpot mechanism.

Comment

So just some interesting fun facts regarding Jackpots in old Aussie mechanical bandits.

We exported a shit ton of these things to the UK back in the 1960's and a lot of them had visible jackpot mechs built into the belly panel. So it had a clear window where you'd see the coins accumulate. If you hit the jackpot of 777 etc, a solenoid would open the trap door of the mech and release all the coins!

So why don't we see them here?

NSW government banned any kind of visible jackpot mechanism.

Link
                              Simple answer, TAX.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X