Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

I need a marquee

• Administrators

Okay this is a common problem for us guys but where southside brisbane can I can a marquee printed. Also what sort of price:

I really wanted this one from mamemarquees.com as my artwork skills suck mightily but fuck me what a rip:

http://www.mamemarquees.com/images/images_big/arcadejuke3.jpg

Looks pretty good and even with the dollar tanking 15.95 us is good I think. Go to calc shipping and the slowest cheapest shipping option is $25.00 :x All up it'll cost me $55.00AUS for a 53cm x 20cm marquee and most of it is in shipping!

Any clues appreciated guys.

Brad

Cheers,

Brad

Edited by Brad

ANY printing shop will print you a marquee.

Just draw up what you want, or find one online, dump it into coreldraw and spit out a print-ready PDF file in the exact dimensions you want, allow 5mm bleed if the colour print is to go to the edges.

Take the PDF on a memory stick to any local printing shop and say "Can you print this out on gloss paper so I can see what it looks like" and they will charge you 5 bucks for it.

I have done this many times. If you are not proficient with corel draw then i'll do it for you. I was a graphic artist in a previous life and it'll take 30 seconds if the resolution is good enough. Your images need to be at least 300dpi at their final size to look good in print. 600dpi will come up better.

Take the PDF on a memory stick to any local printing shop and say "Can you print this out on gloss paper so I can see what it looks like" and they will charge you 5 bucks for it.

What if it needs to be backlit?. Gloss paper would look like arse with fluro behind it.

aka 'lightbox'

Also, talk to daics3522, he's been posting about marquee printing service for roughly $20-25 +post.

I have just ordered the following marquees if you would like one.........

Ordered 6 x Arcde Classic (3 SOLD), 3 x AA Banner with Kong (1 SOLD), 3 x AA Banner Std (1 SOLD)

Size of Marquees is 630mm x 195mm

PM Me and let me know...........

arcade-classics-r3a-600dpi.thumb.jpg.4f0a8ba2f5357d44bcad0db91d61de3a.jpg

_rand_Aussie-Arcade-Banner.gif.5c7107d5dcdbe29df421e9e39ad2af77.gif

563862595_Aussie-Arcade-Banner1.gif.df942e30b17749455ff462104b284c41.gif

daics,

I got your PM, I actually started doing that AA banner but wanted to put Mario (or someone) playing an arcade machine (so that it was arcade and pinball)... I couldn't get it to look very good.

I had forgotten about the middle AA banner though (with the ball and pacman), I like that... maybe with the 'red kong platform' underneath it...

Were the images you used for your prints from the tiny banners on the site? Or did you get some high res versions?

daics,

I got your PM, I actually started doing that AA banner but wanted to put Mario (or someone) playing an arcade machine (so that it was arcade and pinball)... I couldn't get it to look very good.

I had forgotten about the middle AA banner though (with the ball and pacman), I like that... maybe with the 'red kong platform' underneath it...

Were the images you used for your prints from the tiny banners on the site? Or did you get some high res versions?

They are the banners at the top of the screen, not really high resolution though, the printer is going to see what they come out like when enlarged and let me know.......

Hold off on that, they're way too small for usable marquees.

I have the upscaled text and DK from the second banner, but I'd like to get hold of the first one if I can....

I'll start another thread for ideas/source images. I'll make a master copy in PDF format that is big enough for any marquee but can be trimmed to fit.

Hold off on that, they're way too small for usable marquees.

I have the upscaled text and DK from the second banner, but I'd like to get hold of the first one if I can....

I'll start another thread for ideas/source images. I'll make a master copy in PDF format that is big enough for any marquee but can be trimmed to fit.

I will await your completed files and start the AA Marquee then.......

• Administrators

Thanks for all the tips guys =)

Like I said though I suck at digital imaging which is why I was looking at mamemarquees.com

The one I linked I really like. The marquee is for a dedicated jukebox that will also run Frets on Fire and Stepmania so I didn't really want an Arcade Theme. It will also be backlit with a baton style fluorescent light. If anyone has a good DPI file of something similiar I'd really appreciate it. That way I can get it printed locally.

Cheers,

Brad

Hey brad, send me your dimensions and email address in a PM and I'll send you what I have.

If you like it, you can take them to a local shop and have them printed.

As for printing on gloss paper and whatnot, you just gotta ask them what different media they have available to print on. A thin gloss paper should transluce in front of a fluro light.

I wouldn't pay $25 for a marquee thats for sure. Even 5 dollars is a rip off considering the cost of paper and ink, but I'd happily pay $5 over $25 for the same thing, even if it means I have to do a bit of legwork or phoning around.

We should make a little section on this site for this kind of artwork, also cabinet parts templates, plans, cabinet spray paint templates, etc.

Anything that is not copyrighted.

I've got a few things I could contribute to start things off, such as marquees and control panel layouts. The control panel templates are great. I have basically made up a toolkit of life size components, buttons, sticks, coin mechs, etc. Then you make a page in coreldraw the size of your control panel, copy/paste the buttons in, drop the sticks in and make sure nothing clashes. Print it out, stick the pages together and tape it to the panel before drilling. They come up shmick when you do this.

I'd also be happy to whip something up for people if they need it.

I wouldn't pay $25 for a marquee thats for sure. Even 5 dollars is a rip off considering the cost of paper and ink, but I'd happily pay $5 over $25 for the same thing, even if it means I have to do a bit of legwork or phoning around.

WOW a ripoff? Thats what I would charge even if the file is correct. Small jobs arent worth the hassle when running 1.6m wide format digital printer or bigger. Actually even a 750mm wide printer would be a hassle. Give me the details of such a signie when you find one....I wont hold my breath but id love you to prove me wrong :D

• Administrators

Don't get me wrong guys. I thought the price (15.95) for the marquee is more than reasonable. I'm not trying to be a tight-arse but I object strongly to $25.00 US (about $34.00 AUS) for shipping the bastard. I mean seriously :unsure The marquee I need is 55cmx20cm. Its tiny.

Brad

Edited by Brad

We are probably talking about 2 different things then.

I do not go to a signwriter to get a print like that. I go to the local printing place who have a colour laser printer that can print something that's a maximum of maybe 50cm in width. A2 or maybe A1.

The print gets cropped down to size and inserted between 2 sheets of perspex.

If your talking about something else we better clear this up now.

You would usually find that after a while the colours will wash out with a normal Laser Printer. Especially reds, greens and blacks.

A signwriter would use UV Stable inks so would be a better investment in the long run.

Also, you pay for 2 pieces of acrylic whereas if you did your marquee properly you would only need 1.