Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

2x Sega Touring Car DX - The Newb Learning Curve Starts here

So I have had a fair introduction to the emulation scene, after a very sketchy attempt at building a reasonable racing simulator I just wasn't happy and went for the real deal. Gotta love and hate ebay at the same time, long story short I bought one DX Sega Touring Car machine and ended up with a kennards rental truck a tail lift and two Dx Sega Touring Car machines on the way home. Both are in working order.

Now I haven't decided a proper plan for them, and when I purchased it I would have been happy that the shell was in good nick. The only issue is the screens on both of them are out of sync and in need of servicing, there faded and have distortion of the red green and blue. Learning that these are rear projection units, ive began researching and joined this forum.

So hello, and let my journey into owning my first arcade unit begin.

So newb questions away and I wanted to get some friendly advice before I start opening and taking a look at what I got.

The screen on on is playable and slightly out the other is way out and both are faded. My thoughts are.

A good clean of the fresnel lenses and bulbs inside to see if that improves brightness, any suggestions on cleaner?

Check to see if altering the convergence settings helps (if I can find the remote in there, what do I do if I cant find it, are the IR codes available or similar to a comercial unit. are there other sydtem adjustments I can make?

Check the solder points, a few you tube videos on rear projection servicing recommend this.

Linking, get a optical link cable andlink them for two player mode

First time in the real arcade world, and disappointed i ended up with a rear projection unit, but would love to restore the monitors to the best condition possible. Maybe get one back out in the real world and earning some money for charity or something, I just miss a world without arcade machines every where!!...

Finally, can the Model 2C board take chips from other Model2 games such as 2, 2A, 2B?... eg can I put Daytona or Sega Rally in here with a rom board.

- - - Updated - - -

Pictures of Units below

SegaTouringCars.thumb.jpg.bf9fe14ccb84a87f83705eb78db99eab.jpg

Segascreen1.thumb.jpg.36ab95048e3923b0edd708a09f0db34b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Found interesting how to on bulb replacement.

Edited by snowriderau

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly hello and hope you stick around.

Secondly for newbies there is a forum for introduction http://www.aussiearcade.com/forumdisplay.php/98-Introduction-Forum

Thirdly people can overlook certain threads as both R/L and other items take priority so some people use a "bump" post to bring the thread back up to the top.

Finally good luck with the restoration. I am unable to provide any guidance as I have not worked on these units before.

I was offered some dx sega rallys (dead screens) and did a bunch of info hunting a while back, all the info pointed to it being quicker, easier, less head aches and cheaper to gut the rear pros and mod them to fit an LCD (42 from memory)

I even found a vid on the youtubes of how to do it.

Sorry I cant help with info on the Model 2 boards.

Strange that I only just saw this thread, I keep a keen eye open for driving cab threads.

Ok thats more like it.....

I have a reasonable Plasma that would fit the bill, but I am very not impressed with the quality of the low resolution screens on plasma/LED screens and wanted to try to restore at least one.

- - - Updated - - -

Pretty sure all you will ever run in this cabinet is Touring car and Indy 500 but even with Indy 500 I think you need to change the complete stack. Not just the rom layer.

I agree with the others... LCD them

Funnily enough one of the cabinets has the original Indy 500 vinyl livery underneath the Sega Touring Car decals. LCD them seems to be the go. Time to get stuck in and gut one.