New blank canvas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New blank canvas

I have bought an old what looks like lowboy cabinet with everything in tact but missing glass. I have only made one cabinet which was a red NEOGEO which i turned into a MAME conversion using an old pc.

The question i have is...i wouldnt have a clue how to do anything other than a PC and emulation software, would it be easy to do this "JAMMA" thing or create something other than MAME? How many different parts are required? Are the parts expensive? Where should i start?

I have some PC knowledge, woodwoorking and general building knowledge (The above mentioned cabinet and a timber racing cockpit)

Any help appreciated.

New blank canvas

Assuming you have a jamma standard lowboy

This means you can plug in a board which complies with the jamma standard which is the connector which has the video , power , two joysticks , up to three buttons per player , mono sound

But let's say you want to keep the lowboy as original as possible , then can get an x in one board and swap it in or setup a pc which will plug into the jamma connector , then no wires need to be cut.

Comment

Wow was i drunk when i posted that last night.....i mean the cabinet timber work is complete with nothing inside at all or the glass.

Are there any "How to" guides starting from scratch.

Comment

You'll need some basic electrical knowledge and some patience.

Parts required will be:
        Jamma harness $20
        Arcade Power Supply $20
        Stepdown transformer ($10-$30, approx?)
        Universal Chassis $165 + 19" display (guess) which can usually be picked up free. Better option for a beginner is try and source a second hand working 19" chassis+display combo ready to go.
        Joysticks and buttons (plenty of starter kits out there, $45 approx)
        Coin Mechanism ($20)
        Game board (varies).
        My Projects
        sigpic

Comment

Great i assume these parts are available in Australia, but would it be pushing it to think they may be available within Adelaide?

Comment

All of this can be sourced from Australia, check the sponsors section of this site, else ebay. The universal chassis estimate was inclusive of shipping from WA (from Jomac-a sponsor here) based on one I just bought.

Do some reading first to make sure this is the path you want to go down. There is always some trade off between genuine arcade hardware, an xxx-in-1 board (halfway), and MAME/PC emulation. In simple terms its a sliding scale from authenticity (genuine) vs versatility (MAME).
            My Projects
            sigpic

Comment

Get in contact with "gameroom" (Gameroom Essentials) on here as he is Adelaide based and is a sponsor of AA.
              Dan should have most of the gear you need as he builds cabinets and sets them up.
              Console Repairs/Mods in SA, Contact me.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
              Working...
              X