Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 11 : Galaxian (namco)

Game 11: Galaxian

Rom: galaxian

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 25 on the list

Nominated by DKong and wingtipvortex

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/106/1061764479.jpg

]

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124211022.png

Hi-score held by no one

Dip switch settings

Dip-Switch Bank:

1-2 = OFF

3-4 = ON

5 = OFF

Note: The above Dip Switches, are not only the FACTORY DEFAULT settings, but are also the correct Twin Galaxies Tournament Settings for this title and will provide the following settings;

3 Galaxip Per Game

Bonus Galaxip @ 7000 Points

Manufacturer: Namco

Year: 1979

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Space

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Namco Galaxian

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (left, right)

Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Galaxian Description

A game where a spaceship flies back and forth shooting aliens in space.

Game Introduction

You are a space fighter pilot who must shoot wave after wave of aliens that look like dragonflies.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7885)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 9th of August by 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love this game but not the 20,000 shooter every time as I used to be.

Jammasized said it should separate the boys from the men and yeah no hidden bonus's here ;)

Rat's game hands down, pressure is on Rat :D

Edit coincidence with the Avatar as well :lol long time coming in 6 years this game has not come up ever in the AA MGL, time to start shooting, and not a RSI shooter either :)

Nice! Not real good at this, but its a classic player:) I predict Rat and Dk for the shoot out on this one!

+1

The high score for this on my cab sits at 11k, and I thought I killed it that day :lol

Love this game but not the 20,000 shooter every time as I used to be.

You will hit the rhythm again mate, by the way..........nice score on Pandora's:) Level 9 is the other bitch.

The high score for this on my cab sits at 11k, and I thought I killed it that day :lol

:D Don't think i have ever got past 5K. I do enjoy this game though, love the sounds, the best in a shooter i reckon!

The first shooter where I found dodging bullets gave you more oohs and ahhs from the crowd watching.

The pinnacle of the 70's in video games, really made a lot games fail in comparison at the time.

was not long after this release that a lot video game producers tried to reinvent the platform and then it was born DK

Edit did I say first ever full RGB video game, no contact overlays here and 1979

Edited by DKong

I feel a bit better about my first up 4,700 then :laugh: I've only just started having a crack at Galaga recently and have never put any time into this one. Definitely not a good one for me score wise but after the maze and platform games it's a nice change of pace and seeing as I wont be clearing too many screens should be a quick one to :).

Obviously a classic but not one I've put much time into. Had a quick 5 games & rekcon there's a fair bit of improvement to come, doubt I'll challenge the big guns though.

http://i25.tinypic.com/8xtpv5.jpg

btw, no idea why the snapshot is elongated???

Obviously a classic but not one I've put much time into. Had a quick 5 games & rekcon there's a fair bit of improvement to come, doubt I'll challenge the big guns though.

http://i25.tinypic.com/8xtpv5.jpg

btw, no idea why the snapshot is elongated???

Thats taking vertical screen size to the limit, how are you accessing your snaps , I gather through the new machine mate :)

, just had a quick game and 9,350:redface

The first shooter where I found dodging bullets gave you more oohs and ahhs from the crowd watching.

The pinnacle of the 70's in video games, really made a lot games fail in comparison at the time

Edit did I say first ever full RGB video game, no contact overlays here and 1979

Galaxian is a beast, but for me the pinnacle of the 70's in video gaming was Space Wars. Still my most enjoyable 2-player video game ever, regardless of format. Needs fairly complex setting up to play in Mame properly/faithfully though, due to how customisable the coin-op's gameplay was. If you have a mate to play against, and you spend enough time to learn the nuances of the game, then nothing else will ever come close :D

Galaxian is a beast, but for me the pinnacle of the 70's in video gaming was Space Wars. Still my most enjoyable 2-player video game ever, regardless of format. Needs fairly complex setting up to play in Mame properly/faithfully though, due to how customisable the coin-op's gameplay was. If you have a mate to play against, and you spend enough time to learn the nuances of the game, then nothing else will ever come close :D

See your influence there, compared to most games at the age Galaxian had it all, sure there was moon cresta, river patrol, moon patrol, Battle Zone, but back in 79-83 Galaxian stood the test of time it was the one game that always drew me back for one last game.

And the other reason every where you went there was a Galaxian cocktail in every pub in the 80'S until that beast of game Galaga came along and destroyed everything:lol

every where you went there was a Galaxian cocktail in every pub in the 80'S until that beast of game Galaga came along and destroyed everything:lol

Did it ever! You had to feel sorry for Galaxian, like the favourite toy cast aside once Galaga came on with all it's bells and whistles. I still prefer Galaxian cause as you say, it's not just an RSI shooter, the ducking and weaving plays a big part in doing well. Should be a fun week :D

I suppose that would make Galaga one of the longest lasting games then, I vaguely remember playing pac man, cant remember ever seeing a Donkey Kong but Galaga must have been in most pubs,shops, skating rinks for the best part of a decade after it was released. SF2 is maybe the only game that'd come close and even then it wasn't the original that was being played years later but one of the dozens of updates.

First time my older brother came over to see my mame cabinet he was asking about it and I loaded up galaga while I was explaining it's got this and that and.........

"I don't care it's got Galaga" was the response and we didn't hear another word from him until the wife insisted it was time to go and hour or so later.

I'm finding this one a lot harder then Galaga, you're just so slow moving across the screen, I didn't think an 8 way joystick made any diffrence on games that had 2 way joysticks but is it worth switching it over?

Hopefully I'll get Ted in later in the week to give me a hand and I can post a better score. My screen shots stretched as well but what's with the Woody Wood Pecker laugh to start the game?

Galaxian5700.thumb.png.68fff77a1c55b47e7102eee3a14541d0.png

Havn't made it to the Challenging Stage yet... :lol

FYI if you want to unstrectch your screenshot, load in into Paint, goto "Image" menu then "Strecth/Skew" and do Vertical Stretch 33%.

Try to resist the urge to give yourself a Gameroom style 4.7 million bonus score. :rolleyes

Edited by kane

This game is so simple yet so difficult.

The slow pace forces you to be very patient. I keep moving around too much and wandering into bullets.

I find I have better luck with something like Dodonpachi than this! That's supposed to be one of the hardest shooters on MAME and I find Galaxian harder. :lol

I will give this one a proper go this weekend.

• Super Moderator

First wave, bottom left two blue critters.. Don't shoot them and they will loop and loop and loop and eventually the game runs out of bullets. You then cruise the rest of the game shoting the enemy, but with no return fire from them.

Disclaimer.. Memory haze - Pretty sure its the first screen and the bottom left, or it could be the bottom right critters.