Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 6 : Mr Do!

Game 6: Mr Do!

Rom: mrdo

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 46 on the list

Nominated by wingtipvortex and MonoJoker

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/111/1117498200.jpg

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242138254.png

Hi-score held by RetroBorg 213,900

Dip switch settings

Difficulty : Medium

Lives 3

Extra Easy

Special Easy

Special Rules None

Manufacturer: Universal

Year: 1982

Class: Wide Release

Genre: LabyrinthMaze

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Universal

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Buttons: 1 [Magic Ball]

Sound: Unamplified Mono (requires one-channel amp)

Mr. Do Description

You are a clown who moves around a maze. You can dig new paths to avoid monsters and collect cherries. Kill monsters with a 'powerball' or drop apples on them. Kill them all or eat all the cherries to go up a level.

Game Introduction

The object is to clear each level of cherries and/or monsters. The monsters may be killed by hitting them with your powerball (which bounces through the paths, taking unpredictable directions at junctions) or dropping an apple onto them. The level is also over if you complete the EXTRA box or collect the diamond which appears very infrequently ('Special', awards an extra credit).

You can dig extra paths through the solid parts of the maze in whatever shape you like. The apples will be found dotted around the screen in the solid parts. To construct traps for monsters, it is important to dig just under them so they fall into the path behind Mr. Do., then turn around and push the apple back to a path which turns downward, preferably just over the edge, and you have a trap! Wait for a monster (or a few) to appear in the path below, and push! If the monsters wait too long under the apple, they can become 'diggers' and dig away at the maze towards you! Sometimes they go under the apple and squash themselves. An improvement is if two apples can be lined up, so you are protected against a 'digger'.

The central target, where the monsters appear from, may be collected once all the monsters have appeared. This is noticed by it becoming a 'prize', (e.g. ice cream, biscuits, etc.). When you collect the prize, the Alphamonster and his four henchmen appear. The Alphamonster may be in the EXTRA box at the top or moving around the screen. The Alphamonster and his henchmen cannot easily be crushed under apples because they usually eat them! They can be killed individually with the powerball or, if the Alphamonster is killed, all the henchmen turn into apples.

After every three levels there is an intermission where a tune is played and a larger more detailed animated picture of Mr. Do and the monsters is shown. The time to complete each level and the method (monsters, cherries, EXTRA or Diamond) is shown. The paths in the first level resemble a 'D', after this each level is laid out as the digit, i.e. '2', '3', '4' etc., up to '0' for level 10.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8767)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 5th of July by 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Remember to change your default dips from difficulty "easy" to "medium".

I used to be able to defeat this game in the arcades in the day, playing as long as i wanted for 20c, and reduced my local shops intake by playing for hours then leaving a few credits earned from diamonds. I think that was set as easy dips though, then they changed it to medium and it took me awhile to get the hang of that, but I defeated it again. Then they changed it to hardest and I gave up and stopped playing.

I have never been able to reach that level of play on mame.

Just had a few games and got the diamond on stage 3 and stage 6 in the one game. I remember how exciting it was to see the diamond in the arcade, and how it sucked dying while trying to get it.

Unless I can get in the zone I'm going to get smashed at this one, and I can't play again till Saturday.

Look out for Ramere, I know he has played this well in the past.

0004.png.01056f4bdccaaa005f13cabafda92e40.png

Edited by Rat
score update

Agree with others, one of the classics.;)

Such an addictive gameplay, and keeps you coming back for one more.

Something I have noticed for the first time. When your score gets to a 5000 multiple (ie 5000, 10000, 15000 etc) the letter "dude" will appear, handy if you are setting up a certain letter and have an apple to get the points ;)

Still after all these years I am trying different techniques with this game, and never seem to really tire of it or master it :lol

Great game one of my all time favourites:)

Also awaiting MonoJoker and wingtipvortex's reason for nominating :)

mrdo0008.png.791a29b5733f6ff85be41a54f3965546.png

Edited by DKong

Like all rapt with this timeless classic is getting a run, looks like the lawn will have to wait another week :lol Was handy as this in the day but not to the degree Rat was, will do a lot better than this though 4 sure.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2l9qd8y.jpg

Well what a trip down memory lane that was, not quite up to the standard of the days of old but not too bad for an old fella.

Edited by Ramere

You guys are going to have to teach this kid how to play this game haha... What the hell is the strategy here?? I tried to just collect the fruits but my score is shocking!

You guys are going to have to teach this kid how to play this game haha... What the hell is the strategy here?? I tried to just collect the fruits but my score is shocking!

:lol I think most people fall into this trap when playing this game for the first time. The best way to complete the level is to squash them with the apples. The more "doods" you squash the bigger the bonus.

IE walk under an apple let it fall, stand behind it and push it on top of the "doods".

Well I only said it was a classic, didn't say I was a fish-shop legend at it :D

Got a diamond, but no idea how I triggered it?? Been decades since I played this with any intent, but will definitely give it some love this week. Great game.

Edit 1: Getting better, need to lift a lot more though.

Edit 2: I'm done!

Edited by Jed

Nice, 170k Wingtip!

I've hit about 120k now but seems from set 10, it gets a hell of a lot tougher..

Thanks, it is a tricky little game. I tend to use the ball as a last resort of sorts. That being like the shield on Phoenix. As Dk said before, bonus points are with lining up doods and killing with apple drops. I tend to try and get the EXTRA on every level, PIPE DREAM:lol I can usually get it every 2nd or 3rd......it helps in later levels to have a bit of a stockpile:D

Thanks, it is a tricky little game. I tend to use the ball as a last resort of sorts. That being like the shield on Phoenix. As Dk said before, bonus points are with lining up doods and killing with apple drops. I tend to try and get the EXTRA on every level, PIPE DREAM:lol I can usually get it every 2nd or 3rd......it helps in later levels to have a bit of a stockpile:D

Only got the extra once, and that was a fluke! Did enjoy the full screen presentation though of the extra man ceremony :D I dont really keep track of the letters as such.

Agree about using the ball as a 'shield'. I also use it to buy time, when running away to set up a big multi-dood killing apple drop. Managed 8k bonus on a mult-dood kill, what's the biggest you can get ?

No matter how much I play this game I still enjoy it. A true 80s classic and waster of most of my paper round money back in the day...

Basic strategies I use which might help someone is to make sure you get as many E, X, T, R, As on each level - 2 or 3 in the early stages. That sounds obvious but the best way to maximise is to not "skip" the 5k increments. IE if you're on 39,000 and you crush enough doods to get 8k you've really wasted an opportunity to get the EXTRA guy out and cash in. Plus it's safer to keep moving as the stages get higher rather than let them queue up closeby - squash a couple then run to the next apple and again wait - squash and run, etc.

Use bullet to kill 2 or 3 enemies at the level start as they come out pretty much one at a time and your bullet recharges before the next one gets you - hide behind a dropped apple if you need to wait. Get EXTRA out the first time by hitting the next 5K score increment - pushing an apple on a couple of doods is a good way. Nnotice how quickly EXTRA moves OFF the letters you already have and spends much longer on the required letters - it often only takes a small hesitation for him to get to a required letter. Make killing EXTRA your priority then by creating a loop in the "earth" and coming up behind him as the 3 blue henchthings chase you around the loop - pop out and bam! Then try to account for all bar 1 or 2 of the remaining doods and grab the centre bonus item. Again make sure you have a quick look at EXTRA's current position to make him come out on a required letter as you grab the item. Take care of the EXTRA guy again and then wipe out the remaining doods quick - as even on early levels once you've got the centre item and snared EXTRA they get very fast and dig-happy.

While diamonds were great back in the day, with MAME and freeplay they lose their appeal - especially if you get them early in a round - the 5,000 score bonus is less than you'd get squashing a few doods and grabbing the centre item at a minimum!

Cheers

LT.

mrdo0002.png.f8128cad9f08aedbe3df6e9f7e1fc6ec.png

No matter how much I play this game I still enjoy it. A true 80s classic and waster of most of my paper round money back in the day...

Basic strategies I use which might help someone is to make sure you get as many E, X, T, R, As on each level - 2 or 3 in the early stages. That sounds obvious but the best way to maximise is to not "skip" the 5k increments. IE if you're on 39,000 and you crush enough doods to get 8k you've really wasted an opportunity to get the EXTRA guy out and cash in. Plus it's safer to keep moving as the stages get higher rather than let them queue up closeby - squash a couple then run to the next apple and again wait - squash and run, etc.

Use bullet to kill 2 or 3 enemies at the level start as they come out pretty much one at a time and your bullet recharges before the next one gets you - hide behind a dropped apple if you need to wait. Get EXTRA out the first time by hitting the next 5K score increment - pushing an apple on a couple of doods is a good way. Nnotice how quickly EXTRA moves OFF the letters you already have and spends much longer on the required letters - it often only takes a small hesitation for him to get to a required letter. Make killing EXTRA your priority then by creating a loop in the "earth" and coming up behind him as the 3 blue henchthings chase you around the loop - pop out and bam! Then try to account for all bar 1 or 2 of the remaining doods and grab the centre bonus item. Again make sure you have a quick look at EXTRA's current position to make him come out on a required letter as you grab the item. Take care of the EXTRA guy again and then wipe out the remaining doods quick - as even on early levels once you've got the centre item and snared EXTRA they get very fast and dig-happy.

While diamonds were great back in the day, with MAME and freeplay they lose their appeal - especially if you get them early in a round - the 5,000 score bonus is less than you'd get squashing a few doods and grabbing the centre item at a minimum!

Cheers

LT.

Holy crap, great score!!!!! You have beaten the high score by miles. Im finding i get 8K for the diamond? Is it different on different levels? Also i have found if i have more than 5 credits in reserve , the diamond does not appear.

Holy crap, great score!!!!! You have beaten the high score by miles. Im finding i get 8K for the diamond? Is it different on different levels? Also i have found if i have more than 5 credits in reserve , the diamond does not appear.

Yeah as I said I played this a LOT back in the day and it's been a staple on any MAME installation I've run - cab or PC. I find it very playable and challenging every time - you can always improve given the number of ways to attack each level.

Sorry my bad on the diamond value, I haven't seen one in a while and have no idea how to reliably trigger one either. So you'd be right they are worth 8K :redface

Cheers

LT.

I suck at maze games in general, didn't really start playing games until maybe 86/87 but I am enjoying this one a lot more than Guzzler maybe it's that there are more ways to set up/complete a level. Helps to keep the frustration down when you have to start another game. It's also really nice to be playing a game like this without a timer, sure it adds more pressure in one way but there's also a lot of fun in setting traps and waiting :).

My biggest problem at the moment is I'm too hesitant to use the ball, I keep dying when I could have used it. Still if you havent used it on the level it is nice to know you can kill 2 monsters before worrying about any delay.

Yeah as I said I played this a LOT back in the day and it's been a staple on any MAME installation I've run - cab or PC. I find it very playable and challenging every time - you can always improve given the number of ways to attack each level.

Sorry my bad on the diamond value, I haven't seen one in a while and have no idea how to reliably trigger one either. So you'd be right they are worth 8K :redface

Cheers

LT.

I find that i cant depend on the diamond, as you said, multiple ways to complete levels:cool: This game, in a way, reminds me of BombJack. Very playable and random game i thinks:)

BUT.....Damn great score mate!!

I find that i cant depend on the diamond, as you said, multiple ways to complete levels:cool: This game, in a way, reminds me of BombJack. Very playable and random game i thinks:)

Always nice when you find a way ;) I always thought it had to do with dropping multiple apples on top of each other but that doesn't work. It's more complicated I'm sure :)

Hahah funny you should say that. I always HATED BombJack the few times I paid to play it but after it was in the last MGL I am addicted. I'm always loading up the cab just to play that and try to beat my last high score even now.

Oh and thanks, one of my few chances to post an impressive score in an MGL!

Cheers

LT.

Hahah funny you should say that. I always HATED BombJack the few times I paid to play it but after it was in the last MGL I am addicted. I'm always loading up the cab just to play that and try to beat my last high score even now.

Cheers

LT.

:lol:lol:lol BombJack will now be with you forever..........:laugh: