Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 3 : Choplifter

Game 3: Choplifter

Rom: chplift

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 8 on the list

Nominated by retrogamer

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/1181242069150.jpg

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/11812420703.jpg

Hi-score held by

Dip switch settings

Lives: 3

Unknown: Off [All]

Bonus Life: 20000 70000

Difficulty: Easy

Special Rules: None

Manufacturer: Sega

Year: 1985

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Shooter

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Horizontal

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Sega System 8

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 8-way

Buttons: 2 [Fire|Rotate]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Choplifter Description

Fly a helicopter on missions to rescue P.O.W.s. Four different levels featuring desert, sea, caves and city rescue. Avoid and shoot enemy jets, ships, tanks anti-aircraft fire. Digitized speech and catchy background music.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7333)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 14th of June BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Edited by DKong

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game 3: Choplifter

Rom: chplift

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 8 on the list

Nominated by retrogamer

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/1181242069150.jpg

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/11812420703.jpg

Hi-score held by

Dip switch settings

Lives: 3

Unknown: Off [All]

Bonus Life: 20000 70000

Difficulty: Easy

Special Rules: None

Manufacturer: Sega

Year: 1985

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Shooter

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Horizontal

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Sega System 8

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 8-way

Buttons: 2 [Fire|Rotate]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Choplifter Description

Fly a helicopter on missions to rescue P.O.W.s. Four different levels featuring desert, sea, caves and city rescue. Avoid and shoot enemy jets, ships, tanks anti-aircraft fire. Digitized speech and catchy background music.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7333)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 14th of June BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Edited by DKong

Oh man...I remember seeing this first on the Apple IIe in glorious green monochrome back in the Computer Labs in high school, we're talking 1983-84'ish, there were some pretty good games on the old Apple IIe :)

Oh man...I remember seeing this first on the Apple IIe in glorious green monochrome back in the Computer Labs in high school, we're talking 1983-84'ish, there were some pretty good games on the old Apple IIe :)

Same, 1982 I think, Broderband software then bought by SEGA and converted to Arcade in 1985.

It may of been a one man development team as well :unsure

Always found the game hard and never gave it much time, that will change this week :)

Just to confirm, the only rom I have (and can find online) is:

chplft.zip

Is that the one you mean DKong?

Cheers

LT.

Yes sorry and have read some versions of MAME have trouble playing this rom so you can use chplftbl ( bootleg rom ) if thats the case:)

FFS I've tried all 3 - orig, bootleg and alternate. None work :(

I'm doomed to not get a game this MGL unless I update from 0.100b :realmad:

I got the alternate to work only, one question, how would you configure this game on the keyboard? I'm having all sorts of troubles:(

Ripper, one of my all time fav's. We used to be able to pick the lock on this game with a flattened nail, click up a gazillion credits & get chage for pie & a coke.... excuse me while I get a bit nostalgic :cry ..... :lol

Cant get any of the roms to work either.

Hmm, can anyone help.

There seems to be a couple of people who cannot get any of the roms to work :unsure

I haven't even tried my cab yet.

Maybe try a different version of MAME ? or upgrade your romset ?

Anyone who is having problems with roms for this game try the file below:-

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/getfile.php?file=Li9NQU1FL01hbWUtMC4xMzcvYy9jaG9wbGlmdC56aXA=

This rom was updated recently, and if you are running a new version of mame, then the old roms wont work. Need the rom listed above.

:) Thanks heaps gameroom, should help everyone out.

Anyone who is having problems with roms for this game try the file below:-

http://www.theoldcomputer.com/roms/getfile.php?file=Li9NQU1FL01hbWUtMC4xMzcvYy9jaG9wbGlmdC56aXA=

This rom was updated recently, and if you are running a new version of mame, then the old roms wont work. Need the rom listed above.

Thanks, that ROM works for me 0136.

0.131u2: fixed Choplifter (8751 315-5151) - Game now playable.

0.130u3: Renamed (chplft) to (choplift), (chplftb) to (chopliftu) and (chplftbl) to (chopliftbl)

Mame is great, but the way the ROMS get renamed so often is annoying. Editing the ROM names may work for some with older versions :unsure

Just had a quick try, works fine on my xxxx-in-1 Cab.

This seems to be a real hard/frustrating game, even with dips on easy...Or else I'm pretty useless at this game, and it's quite likely that is true :rolleyes

*shuffles off to study youtube vids of gameplay*

I don't get how to aim properly in this game. I just can't maneuver in time. When I'm aiming down at the ground enemies - it takes me forever to try to aim at a plane in front of me! I doubt I will attempt alot of this game, not really my cup of tea but I do like how the hostages/civilians hop in and out like Lemmings. :D

Ripper, one of my all time fav's. We used to be able to pick the lock on this game with a flattened nail, click up a gazillion credits & get chage for pie & a coke.... excuse me while I get a bit nostalgic :cry ..... :lol

:D

Any tips on gameplay Ramere ? Or even for just controlling the damn helo, I'm all over the shop at the moment. Best score: 11k :lol

Dont worry so much about shooting the aircraft and concentrate more on dodging their bullets as you are strafing the ground troops.....by all means you should blow em outta the sky if they happen to get in the way but dont bother attacking them directly.

I knew this one would be a fun but frustrating bastard.....:D

:D

Any tips on gameplay Ramere ? Or even for just controlling the damn helo, I'm all over the shop at the moment. Best score: 11k :lol

Not much to tell really, it not a game that requires much finesse.

Dont worry about shooting planes, just dodge 'em & once you have cleared the ground & ship guns keeping low is handy.

Just go flat chat until you get to your POW's, pick 'em up, turned around & get the hell out of there as fast as you can.

When picking up the POW's bounce the chopper ever slow slightly (taking care to not squash any POW's, I usually do one bounce between each POW boarding), this stops the tanks, etc. from appearing at the bottom of the screen trying to blow the crap out of you.

Hope that helps a bit.

dont kill any civillians to get a perfect bonus 50000 I think

Yep, was just about to edit my initial post with that info.

In level 4 the are plenty ship at the bottom of the screen so turn sideway to blow 'em away.

1st game in ages for this score, it's actually a PB iirc, had only ever played it with the Hard dipswitch. Stuffed up by killing POW's on the 1st 2 levels & level 5 costing 150K, reckon I will get as high as 800K if I put some time into it ;)

Once past level 4 you go back to the 1st level although it's a bit harder.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mfyzns.png

A couple of games tonight, first time I have cleared stage 1 :) Second stage is a bit trickier with the gun turrets on the other side of the ships.

BTW Ramere I have your MGL X trophy, do you want to pick it up some time.

chpl0002.png.0a4ed09e3bc14d91b47b5c42be2d7431.png

Edited by DKong