Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 2 : Guzzler

Game 2: Guzzler

Rom: guzzler

Randomly selected from the MGL XI game list, game 31 on the list

Nominated by Rat

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/1181242121297.jpg

http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/11/1181242121299.png

Hi-score held by

Dip switch settings

Lives 3

Bonus life 30k, every 100k

Difficulty Easy

Manufacturer: Tehkan

Year: 1983

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Labyrinth/Maze

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Tehkan

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Buttons: 1 [shoot]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Guzzler Description

A maze-style game where the player shoots "liquid" to kill monsters. Eat "food" to replace the liquid. Monsters are generated from four fires which must be destroyed to complete level.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8056)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 7th of June BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Super Moderator

Lets get he ball rolling

EDIT, my one any only score past level 7. I hate level 7

Score: 123740

guzz0005.png.4811d3fca7a868a0251cc896aacbec38.png

Edited by Foot

Why not :)

Anyone know how you advance the letters to get the x bonus :unsure

All depends on where you are ( which letter you are over ) when you soak them, it will change no matter how high up the screen you are. Bit of a quirky strategy plat-former.

Ah, a maze game from 1983 - sweet :)

There's some cracking maze games in the early 80's - Tutankham, Scrambled Egg, Berzerk, Pengo to name a clutch. Guzzler's a new one for me, and the name at least fits some of the gamers in this comp :D

Ooh yeah.....good stuff....liking this one already!

Trying to crack the ton before the night is over but i think its time to step away from the machine for a little while....have a beer and go to my calm corner.

The little watery bladder bastard is starting to wind me up!:D

guzzler.png.ed00cf517a08857b8ba3f8a9f2215eec.png

Lost my mojo with this one....not making excuses but my diet of painkillers the last few days is also killing my gaming....which is causing me pain...so i must need more pain killers! :)

Edited by retrogamer

This is a cool game :cool: well nominated Rat.

Got to round 8, with the help of scoring an extra man on the end of game free man thingo. Only got it once so far. That's a nice little bit of randomness thrown into the mix for this game, it could mean a big difference in score too, given how high the bono's get in the later levels.

I'm going to really get into this one, this game is my kind of fun :)

I can get the bonus dude almost every game, kinda predictable
`

Cool! So it's easy to get an extra man every time then - I haven't been looking for a pattern just whacking the fire button haphazardly at game's end. Thanks for the tip :D

84,970 Round 9

Got 84,970 after a few games with this. Hopefully I'll better it soon.

This game seems quite fun - I love these maze style early 80s games. Nice pick.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/spl_photo/games/guzz0001.png

153,610 - Round 13

So much more playable, now I switched the Sanwa's back to 4-way :) I kept getting stuck in movement controls with 8 way, needless deaths.

Round 9 is hard, but then you get a couple of comparitively easy rounds. Another man at 100k helps too.

Still haven't been trying for the spelling 'guzzler' bonus points, is it worth it, and how do you do it?

Next stop 200k :D

I've switched my sticks over as well, I dont find them that bad when you're switching between games particuarly during a party cause blaming the joystick never ends well anyway but for the comps I switch them over for the week.

Another thing I like about this game is how quick it is to restart, intro scenes and animated countdowns are all good and well when you're paying for your credit but in the MGL the clocks ticking :lol.

Guz81350.png.bf14d42c4fb4ccc8ad43fa9e6da01efe.png

Glad people are enjoying this game, for me the best thing about MGL is sharing mame games that others might never have played before, and playing their selections. I played this in the arcade in Devonport in the day, when I was but a lad practicing my Guzzling :)

But wtf is with Guzzler coming up just when I decided to have a week off the grog?

I'm getting a bit stuck with my Namco 8 way joystick, but not often. I will look into the mame settings to see if I can force it to 4 way, but I assume that only really works on a hardware level?

My previous best was about the same as Jammasized's score of 150k

But in this game I got a special bonus for some reason? I was on round 8 where the screen is divided into quarters and I doused the last fire as it was walking around the middle of the top left quarter. When I did I heard a bonus sound (I think that was me getting a free man for 100k) and a wine glass popped up where I killed the last fire. They usually only pop up in the middle of the screen. I'm assuming this gave me 100k bonus. Final score is for round 10

Perhaps it was because of where I killed the last fire? or maybe because I had killed "X" amount of walking fires? I dunno, I have never seen or heard of this bonus before. If I can replicate it I will let you know.

I feel a bit funny about this score, but it's not a known cheat, more an unknown bonus, so I felt I could post it as a legit score. If anyone thinks that is not in the spirit of the game let me know. What do you think DKong ;) ?

0007.png.3adbc571b014530759ba8a84b50612f9.png

0008.png.2e21e043a4737a32ef92b631e38abce5.png

But in this game I got a special bonus for some reason? I was on round 8 where the screen is divided into quarters and I doused the last fire as it was walking around the middle of the top left quarter. When I did I heard a bonus sound (I think that was me getting a free man for 100k) and a wine glass popped up where I killed the last fire. They usually only pop up in the middle of the screen. I'm assuming this gave me 100k bonus. Final score is for round 10

Perhaps it was because of where I killed the last fire? or maybe because I had killed "X" amount of walking fires? I dunno, I have never seen or heard of this bonus before. If I can replicate it I will let you know.

I feel a bit funny about this score, but it's not a known cheat, more an unknown bonus, so I felt I could post it as a legit score. If anyone thinks that is not in the spirit of the game let me know. What do you think DKong ;) ?

I think we have to allow these bonus's , it is a part of the game and not a cheat really, IMO cheating is altering the game rules or game to give you an unfair advantage, these bonus's are designed into the game so should be allowed:)

I think we have to draw the line on cheats/tricks that give you no firing enemies, infinite lives or 255 or whatever it is on some games.

Where do we draw the line :unsure Do we not allow bonus's like the 50,000 bonus in BombJack, will just get too complicated IMO.

Now to try and find that 100,000 bonus, I suppose I will have to make it to round 8 first :)

Yeah I think we have to take it on a case by case basis, there are other games that have areas where you can points scab. Sitting in one spot getting points for jam without progressing in the game should not be allowed, most games have timers to stop this, but some don't.

Update, the bonus was NOT for the amount of walking fires killed, keep looking.

I will try and find more time to play, I would like to beat that score without the bonus if I can.

Yeah I think we have to take it on a case by case basis, there are other games that have areas where you can points scab. Sitting in one spot getting points for jam without progressing in the game should not be allowed, most games have timers to stop this, but some don't.

Update, the bonus was NOT for the amount of walking fires killed, keep looking.

I will try and find more time to play, I would like to beat that score without the bonus if I can.

Sounds like Rat found an Easter Egg, we've played quite a few other games where getting these are part of the fun (Scrambled Egg for instance) and adds another element to the game I reckon - how to find out how to get the huge bonus! I certainly don't see it as a part of the game that shouldn't be allowed, as it wasn't a deliberate exploit, more happenstance.

Tried to google it just now ie "guzzler 100k bonus" doesn't seem to be much on the net about it, probably cause it's not a well known game...

The hunt is on :)

I think we have to allow these bonus's , it is a part of the game and not a cheat really.

I was going to suggest use the rules from twin galaxies, but for slap fight they say "Player is allowed to use the no fire trick on their first ship"