Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - XI Game 1 : Slap Fight

Game 1: Slap Fight

Rom: slapfigh

Randomly selected from the MGL X game list, game 53 on the list

Nominated by retrogamer

%5B/img%5D

Hi-score held by Shock_And_Awe 383,480

Dip switch settings

Lives 3

Bonus Life 30,000 100,000

Difficulty Medium

Manufacturer: Taito

Year: 1986

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Scrolling Shooter

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: unique

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 8-way

Buttons: 2 [Fire|Select]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Slap Fight Description

The player, flying a ship over a vertically scrolling background, shoots the enemies using a variety of weapons. These weapons, as well as higher speed, shield and power up are obtained by collecting and trading in stars.

(http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?letter=S&game_id=9583 )

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 31st of March BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ahhh Bitch Fight....cool game......hate it when you progress a fair way and loose all your power ups followed by quickly losing your 3 or 4 remaining lives.

Will crank up Prodigy "Smack My Bitch Up" while playing this one :)

Could always go the RHCP for that slap bass soundtrack :D

Good 1st game, probably one of the first shooters I played as a kid. Never been any good at it though and haven't played more than a few times since getting a cabinet so should be fun trying to get a good game going.

226,330 Area 67

And off we go :)

Had a few games this afternoon so thought I would post an early score.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd199/DKongAA/slap0023.png

Edited by DKong

The "slapfigh" rom is not working for me with mame 0.135

But "slapfgtr" is working....hmmm can I use that? or do I need to download a new rom?

Tried downloading a new rom, but same error, mame is telling me that there are working clones, so it seems "slapfigh" is broken in my version of mame.

The "slapfigh" rom is not working for me with mame 0.135

But "slapfgtr" is working....hmmm can I use that? or do I need to download a new rom?

Tried downloading a new rom, but same error, mame is telling me that there are working clones, so it seems "slapfigh" is broken in my version of mame.

I've always had this problem with Slapfight as well, I think with this game we can just use the ROM that works.

Think mine is English bootleg or something.

Never seen this one before, always good to play something new! DK's almost got the AA High Score with his first post, is this a sign that he's going to play with *both* hands this tourney for a change ? :D

Never seen this one before, always good to play something new! DK's almost got the AA High Score with his first post, is this a sign that he's going to play with *both* hands this tourney for a change ? :D

I have played this one a lot over the years, my HiScore is 382,000 Area 77, I'm sure Rat can do a lot better.

Um nice bench mark there DK :lol Btw I take it we're not meant to use the power up cheat/tactic at the beginning?

I had forgot about that, thats where you have to dodge everything for as long as you can.

What is everyone else's thoughts on using this :unsure

It does give you full :unsure powerup but you also lose a life.

Cool, I'm using the English Bootleg also......and actually playing quite poorly :cry

I usually play this type of shooter well, but have always found Slapshot frustrating.

I have been ok at this in the distant past, but never great, don't think I will be winning this round.

Yeah plus if you dodge long enough (1st fountain) you also get 180k and full power ups.

Wasn't sure if it counts as a cheat or just a hidden trick? I'd rather it wasn't used as long as we're all on the same page.

I'd hate to see all us wooden spooners get jumped with one move :) so I suppose the other way is just to make sure everyone knows about it.

Yeah plus if you dodge long enough (1st fountain) you also get 180k and full power ups.

Wasn't sure if it counts as a cheat or just a hidden trick? I'd rather it wasn't used as long as we're all on the same page.

I'd hate to see all us wooden spooners get jumped with one move :) so I suppose the other way is just to make sure everyone knows about it.

Sounds good to me then :)

Trick/cheat not allowed!

Sounds good to me then :)

Trick/cheat not allowed!

had never noticed that the high score lists the area as well... pretty much takes care of that problem, if you've got 200k and area 3 there will be questions :lol.

227,880 Area 67

Area 49 that weird grid thing with the grid runners. Enjoyable game, I don't mind being a Slapper :)

I like how you can choose power ups, have to agree with Rat how you tend to suddenly lose all your lives - seems to me mainly due to being a fair way into the game, then lose your life and boom your ship goes goes back to moving soooo freakin' slowly you're yelling noooooo! while trying to dodge the nightmare at the speed of an extremely old slug.

Seemed to me while familiarising myself with the game last night, one of the more efficient powerup combos is speed + guided missiles ? All i've been doing so far is trying to get those two then hanging on for dear life. Couldn't see much use in any of the others compared to those two.

Good game, hope to improve as the week progresses.

Edit 1: Score update

Edit 2: Score Update

Edited by Jed

Area 49 that weird grid thing with the grid runners. Enjoyable game, I don't mind being a Slapper :)

I like how you can choose power ups, have to agree with Rat how you tend to suddenly lose all your lives - seems to me mainly due to being a fair way into the game, then lose your life and boom your ship goes goes back to moving soooo freakin' slowly you're yelling noooooo! while trying to dodge the nightmare at the speed of an extremely old slug.

Seemed to me while familiarising myself with the game last night, one of the more efficient powerup combos is speed + guided missiles ? All i've been doing so far is trying to get those two then hanging on for dear life. Couldn't see much use in any of the others compared to those two.

Good game, hope to improve as the week progresses.

I am always a Homing Missile glutton with this game, also side shot is helpful as you can have both.

Also by adding wings your firepower power increases but the size of your ship does as well, but it can take a shot on the wings when it gets to a certain size with out dying.

When I get up to around where you are I usually go for shield, then shield then shield :lol

Do the sidewings slow you down or just seem like it? Every time I get the first sidewing I always want to add another speed.

It sure seems that way, I don't use wings much as I find the big ship a bit cumbersome, plus if you take a hit on the centre of the ship I think you lose the whole lot.

DK's the final word but I'd say so, doesn't each special weapon have something similar, the homing missles uncover those little boxes, the bombs destroy parts?

Not quite as depressed about DK's little first day post now that I'm at least using the same number of numbers :) Still hate that trimaran-tank though.

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/games76/0002-3.png

Still hate that trimaran-tank though.

I agree I hate that #$@%^@#$$% thing :068:

It's kind of fun to dodge and weave the slow waves of bullets it fires, don't know the best way to kill the thing tho.

Tried a few games this arvo.. just getting the feel of it - it's really hard to recover in some sections after losing a life and having no speed ups!! :o

217,850 - Area 65

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/spl_photo/games/slapbtuk.png