Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGL - X Game 7: Space Invaders(Midway/Taito)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
    Ok as a Furrer noob I tried it out, did improve my previous score slightly... it's easy enough to do it on the first screen - I can usually get to around 3K+ before the 2nd screen, then I start to struggle trying to stay furry, and by the third screen I've abandoned all hope of being furry again and gone back to traditional play.

Sometimes I swear I've counted right too but it doesn't give me 300, usually on the 2nd or third screen that happens. I've also had the saucer deflecting my shot at least three times now especially when you've been fighting to stay alive and count shots and then you miss the #$@^%^ saucer how annoying is that.

Interesting to play it this way though, score leeching in spacies, fancy that, you can teach an old dog new tricks after all

Hmm doesn't the saucer deflection happen in a later version you are playing the invaders rom I could be wrong here
    Also on new tricks for old games I only found out a couple of years ago when you hit the Flag ship in Galaxian they stop firing for a while never knew that in the arcades and still used to get to round 10
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DKong View Post
      Hmm doesn't the saucer deflection happen in a later version you are playing the invaders rom I could be wrong here
      Also on new tricks for old games I only found out a couple of years ago when you hit the Flag ship in Galaxian they stop firing for a while never knew that in the arcades and still used to get to round 10
      Hmmm, i dunno actually - it's the Taito version so I thought it was the right one, i's the only Space Invaders on my x-in-1 cab. Are there other Taito roms of space invaders ?

I'll verify I'm playing the right rom. I can live in hope I'm actually playing a harder version

Round 10 of Galaxians ??? Holy crap...

Edit: confirmed my rom is 'invaders' but I do get the saucer deflecting the shot sometimes. I read somewhere that after round 5 you get this deflecting shot happen - but I've had it happen before round 4 ?
      Last edited by Jed; 3rd February 2010, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Round 10 of Galaxians
        Galaxian.........no s

Comment

Originally posted by wingtipvortex View Post
          Galaxian.........no s
          Oops... but anyway,

Dang, I've been waiting to use that for ages now

Comment

Glad i could help out

Comment

Hmmm, i dunno actually - it's the Taito version so I thought it was the right one, i's the only Space Invaders on my x-in-1 cab. Are there other Taito roms of space invaders ?

I'll verify I'm playing the right rom. I can live in hope I'm actually playing a harder version

Round 10 of Galaxians ??? Holy crap...

Funny thing is I have only ever managed round 9 on the MAME version, read somewhere that the emulation speed is not correct on MAME, maybe just a subtle speed difference but enough to make it that little bit harder, only a few purists have picked it up (or I am getting slow in my old age ) although have cracked higher scores on games like Galaga on MAME these days than I did in the Arcade.
              I was playing Galaxian from age 10-15 and these machines where evreywhere every time the family went on holiday ( especially Victoria ) voila a galaxian machine in every restaurant, Pub, takeaway.
              As soon as we stopped somewhere I would sniff the place out for the Galaxian
              Remember being in Lygon St Carlton(circa 81?) and finding a Italian restaurant across the road from where the family was having dinner and seeing a heap of them lined up, a kid in a candy store.
              Who needed a babysitter make then, just me and Galaxian.
              Anyway back to Space Invaders...Now I want to play Galaxian
              sigpic

Comment

(Updated score, found time for a couple more games)

Clocked it second game, have not clocked it twice in one game but have gone close. They start off higher up the screen again after about 3 rounds of low ones.

Galaxian, don't cheat the random generator DKong, it will come up one day.

I wish Super Galaxian was emulated properly, it's too fast in mame, I used to get to way past round 30 on that in the arcades.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Rat; 8th February 2010, 02:13 PM. Reason: scrore update
                Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  Clocked it second game, have not clocked it twice in one game but have gone close. They start off higher up the screen again after about 3 rounds of low ones.

Galaxian, don't cheat the random generator DKong, it will come up one day.

I wish Super Galaxian was emulated properly, it's too fast in mame, I used to get to way past round 30 on that in the arcades.
                  Nice score Rat, yeah round 6 or 7 the retreat and go again from the top. Its definatly a mental battle

Comment

I am so going to suck at the MGL, it must have taken me 20 credits to get past the first stage for a massive personal best of 1670 . To be fair I may never have played SI in the arcades with 1985-1995 being more my decade. Not hard to see why it's such a classic game though the sound and alien designs are fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by Taverner View Post
                      I am so going to suck at the MGL, it must have taken me 20 credits to get past the first stage for a massive personal best of 1670 . To be fair I may never have played SI in the arcades with 1985-1995 being more my decade. Not hard to see why it's such a classic game though the sound and alien designs are fantastic.
                      It was an amazing change from Pong that's for sure... as much as Pong was a major change from pinball machines at the time.

To be a pedant the title of 'mother of all videogames' goes to Spacewar! as it's responsible for the creation of the video arcade machine, the joystick, Atari, and Unix.

Space Invaders is definitely the most iconic videogame of all time.

Comment

I remember tilting a space invaders table back in 81, and when the power came back on the high score was 77,840

So I claimed it and got my name on the leaderboard.

I got 10 free credits too for the effort, and the guy watched me play them 10 games in no time LOL, he must have been sus.
                        Regards

Dez

DSB Electrical
                        DSB Electrical Facebook
                        VAPS
                        Vector Monitor Repro Parts
                        Amazing Arcading Facebook Page

Another AA Visitor. Stay a while, stay FOREVER!

Comment

The commercial version of Space Wars, Computer Space also gets the title for best cabinet design ever as well.

Comment

This score was the first I got past the third wave, it's tough I tells ya!

Not much of an improvement in the second week.
                            Last edited by kane; 15th February 2010, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Classic game, would be nice to clock it.

best so far...
                              Last edited by SectionZ; 8th February 2010, 07:30 AM. Reason: Score

Comment

Had a decent go today, nostalgia city, memories of the Port Sorell post office & watching all the "guns" showing us kids how it was done....

Wow, clocked it for 1st time ever

Last edited by Ramere; 8th February 2010, 07:12 AM. Reason: score update

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X