Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - X Game 7: Space Invaders(Midway/Taito)

Game 7: Space Invaders

Rom: invaders (midway/taito)

Randomly selected from the MGL Xgame list, game 59 on the list

Nominated by Wingtipvortex

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124217160.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/118124217164.png

Current hiscore held by noone

Manufacturer: Midway Manufacturing Co.

Year: 1978

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Space

Type: Videogame

Sub:

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Black and White with a Color Overlay

Conversion Class: unique

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 2-way (left, right) [Left/Right button on the Bally/Midway North American Version]

Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Dip switch settings

Lives 3

Bonus 1500

Space Invaders Description

The original space alien vertical shooter. Move your tank back and forth along the bottom of the screen and shoot endless waves of aliens marching towards earth. Shoot the flying saucer for extra points.

Cheats, Tricks and Bugs

Popularized right after the release of the game, the "FURRER" trick allows you to get 300 points per mystery ship every time. It has to do with the way the random number generator works - at the beginning of every board count 22 shots (whether you hit an invader or not). Wait for the mystery ship. Shoot once to hit it to earn 300 pts. Now count 14 shots. Wait again for the mystery ship. Shoot once at it for another 300 pts. count 14 shots and repeat for the rest of the level. once on the new level, start again at 22 and repeat to 14. This trick was invented by Eric Furrer who to this day holds the Stratford Record for non-stop Space Invaders play -- 38 hours and 37 minutes and an accumulation of 1,114,000 points (111 roll overs, averaging three rolls an hour).

Mystery Ship Shot Deflection: On the fifth wave of invaders, the second mystery ship will deflect your shot with the rarely heard "deflection shot;" a shot played backwards.

(http://www.klov.com/S/Space_Invaders.html)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL X thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 8th of February BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit hard to believe it has never come up in the MGL, can't see anyone cracking a million 38 hours :o,

I don't think I have made 10,000 before or not much over anyway, should be some close scores this week you would think.

First and only go but I don't want to cock up and forget to post in time next Monday. So here it is THE score to beat :lol

Edit: Bah, pathetic but it's the best I can manage...

Cheers

LT.

inva0003.png.08f00bdf912350ef945e99c1394847fa.png

Edited by MonoJoker

38 hours 'is that all it takes' :o

Well from the klov info as posted above

"Eric Furrer who to this day holds the Stratford Record for non-stop Space Invaders play -- 38 hours and 37 minutes and an accumulation of 1,114,000 points (111 roll overs, averaging three rolls an hour)."

Hmm going by that does that mean the score rolls over/clocks at 10,000 :unsure

Just checked my best, must beat it

Well from the klov info as posted above

"Eric Furrer who to this day holds the Stratford Record for non-stop Space Invaders play -- 38 hours and 37 minutes and an accumulation of 1,114,000 points (111 roll overs, averaging three rolls an hour)."

Hmm going by that does that mean the score rolls over/clocks at 10,000 :unsure

Just checked my best, must beat it

As far as i know it does clock at 10,000. And it uses an Intel 8080 processor.....INTEL INSIDE:lol:lol:lol

Well first game in a while 4920 still a fair way off my best.

For a game that looks so simple it is damn hard or is it just for me :o

As far as i know it does clock at 10,000. And it uses an Intel 8080 processor.....INTEL INSIDE:lol:lol:lol

Hmm this might make the score post interesting when someone gets over 10,000, how are we to know, it doesn't actually say what level you are on :unsure

Like to know if anyone here has cracked 10,000 on this version my best is 9,220

Hmm this might make the score post interesting when someone gets over 10,000, how are we to know, it doesn't actually say what level you are on :unsure

Maybe we should play a bootleg rom instead, I know the Logitec bootleg has 6 digit scoring, other ones probably do aswell. Not sure if the gameplay is the same though.

Very :cool: to play this in the MGL.

First played with my older brother who rationed out my 20's and laughed happily every time I died, often backed up with a deadarm.

Yeh for such a simple concept, it gets very strategical. I had no idea this thing 'clocks' and Eric Furrer sounds like a madman.

Well I am sure everyone will be honest after our last kafuffle with scores and really can't see anyone clocking this twice :unsure

So we should let it ride afterall its the mother of all arcade games:D

Very :cool: to play this in the MGL.

First played with my older brother who rationed out my 20's and laughed happily every time I died, often backed up with a deadarm.

Yeh for such a simple concept, it gets very strategical. I had no idea this thing 'clocks' and Eric Furrer sounds like a madman.

:lol Glad I didn't have an older brother just used to pawn my younger sister on every game, she gave up :laugh: although might of made me a tougher gamer, so thats where you get it from Jammasized ;), do people still give dead arms :lol

Eric Furrer is a sick man :o

Just had to listen to this song again , yeah been posted here a million times, every time I play this game now, this song resonates :lol

[video=youtube;D0dup-9wvQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0dup-9wvQc

Edited by DKong
Auto Merged Double Post.

DK, do you remember what we were doing when i played this tune the other night?:lol And no, i wasn't blowing you:lol:lol

Umm mimicking SI's :unsure was this Monday night/Tuesday morning/ Tuesday night or Wednesday morning :lol

:o

I tried to ignore that :laugh: hang on I did pass out for a while WTF :o:o

Cool

High score to date is about 6200, but thats with max lives

Lucky if I get 5000 with 3

9220 is my all time best (3 lives) and if I remember correctly there was some fluky moments in that game.

I'm sure Rat boasted to me one day how he can get a lot more:unsure

Still waiting for Wingtip to explain :lol

Sorry to dissapoint narf, we were space invading:lol:lol:lol The dance man!!!

I knew you would forget Dk:lol

It was night 1, Monday.

I did say mimicking SI's , sort of remember moving my arms like a SI did we shuffle along the floor :lol

something like

:lol:lol:lol:lol:

:041::041::041:

:038: :038:

:lol2:

Perfect:lol Yeah, we did the "space invader" dance...:lol It was fun though mate:cool:

:lol uber awesome night! now we just have to top it ;) Finally have Dad to bed so going myself with the bass line of SI's going through my head :lol

:lol Glad I didn't have an older brother just used to pawn my younger sister on every game, she gave up :laugh: although might of made me a tougher gamer, so thats where you get it from Jammasized ;), do people still give dead arms :lol

Deadarms, Deadlegs, trying to avoid them was a large part of my childhood - that and hanging around in arcades :D

The owner of my closest arcade would give us late night stragglers a handful of 20's to clean the pins and cabs, then give us 30 minutes of play to spend it in the machines, cost him nothing to get everything cleaned most nights.

He was the first Arcade owner I saw that kept a high score blackboard above the change desk - getting on that board gave you major cred !!! :cool:

Having just watched the Spazzy in Tassie vid, I'm picturing you guys doing the Space Invader Dance :lol

Edited by Jed

:lol Glad I didn't have an older brother just used to pawn my younger sister on every game, she gave up :laugh: although might of made me a tougher gamer, so thats where you get it from Jammasized ;)

LOL I just worked out what you meant to type. When I first saw that you used to "pawn" your younger sister on every game I wondered how many 20s you got for her at Cash Converters :) Now I realise the "a" is a typo - I hope... :o

Cheers

LT.