Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - T9 Game 5: Donkey Kong (US Set 1)

Game 5: Donkey Kong

Rom: US Set 1 (dkong)

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242103207.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242103213.png

Current HiScore held by wingtipvortex 262,700

Manufacturer: Nintendo

Year: 1981

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Platform

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Vertical

Type: Raster: Standard Resolution

CRT: Color

Conversion Class: Nintendo Classic

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 4-way (up, down, left, right)

Buttons: 1

Sound: Unamplified Mono (requires one-channel amp)

Donkey Kong Description

Jumpman -- known today as Mario -- must traverse levels (structures) to save his girlfriend, Pauline, from Donkey Kong before time runs out. The levels include Girders, Rivets, Elevators, and Conveyor Belts. Mario must avoid flames, barrels, and bouncing rivets to reach his goal.

(http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7610l)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 31st of August BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Edited by DKong
  • Like 1

Epic game.

When the dust settles - who'll be Aussie Arcade's

http://www.personal.psu.edu/cjs5005/blogs/sterblog/billy.jpg

and

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2164/1579441642_bbad7e50fe.jpg?v=0

• Like 1

Ditto +2, it was Crazy Kong machines I also played, which has the more logical progression of levels. Were the US set machines ever even in Australia ? Perhaps it was a septic who nominated the US set ? :laugh:
  • Like 1

My 3rd highest score ever, off to a good start. I had another good game going, was at 120k when the power went off from the storms here, BAH!

Also, fringert, you're using the wrong set, the US Set 1 only has 3 letter initial highscore entries, thats probably the japan set. The difficulty varies alot between sets for this game, so everyone make sure.

• Like 1

Ditto +2, it was Crazy Kong machines I also played, which has the more logical progression of levels. Were the US set machines ever even in Australia ? Perhaps it was a septic who nominated the US set ? :laugh:

I only did the US Set 1, as it's the official King of Kong set, and Donkey Kong was nominated not Crazy Kong ( unless we do the Jap set I think which does the levels in order ), maybe when people nominate they can say the rom set to stop hysteria :p

I wouldn't mind doing the Crazy Kong but I don't think anyone nominated it, I love Crazy Kong

Seems again we had a lot of nominations from players who are not even participating, next time only nominated games from players who played at least 5 games in the last MGL will be included in the next MGL.

Will save this fury of game nominations from the outsiders :p

Then the outsiders can work there way in to nominate there games :p

Just a thought, anyone want to add or disagree feel free:)

And remember its all about fun

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2164/1579441642_bbad7e50fe.jpg?v=0

• Like 1

Yeah Crazy was indeed nominated :p

I'm really enjoying playing the US set for a change though, it's way more of a challenge from the word go, and the weirdo level order is pretty interesting though sometimes I still have no idea what's coming next.. which is a good thing!

Much harder to get a decent score though and it's taken me quite a few goes to get this far, which isn't that far at all :redface

Massive high score on this one wingtip, oh my :cool:

EDIT: Score update, starting to Grok the US set a little more.

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

Donkey Kong, i'll attempt to get out of the bottom three this week. Don't like my chances though. I watch King of Kong for some inspiration last night, didnt help much :lol

I hit the Rivets level last night (yes second screen) I don't believe I've ever actually played that level before! I've now mamed my cab and set my MCAs to 4way, which as we can probably appreciate, is a much better way to play in this comp.

I've managed to improve from 800 to 18,000+ in 4 games so not all bad, Extremely fun game when the 8way isn't cutting out on you every other second.

• Like 1

I've never played this before in any arcade! It's much harder than crazy kong and whats with the random levels? Very strange:blink:

Nearly half way! Fireballs on fourth level are getting hard to predict!

dkon0014.png.789836e8e69be8166db535f3c8d8f8cb.png

Edited by fringert
updating score
  • Like 1

Levels are as follows...

L1 1-4

L2 1-3-4

L3 1-2-3-4.

L4 1-2-1-3-4

L5 1-2-1-3-1-4

L6 through L21 all remain the same as L5

L22 1 (Kill screen).

Great score Fringert! You have now beaten my high:cool: Whats your strategy for the elevator levels from 4 onwards? Ive tried 3 or 4 different ways, but cant come up with an answer. Please tell:)

• Like 1

Levels are as follows...

L1 1-4

L2 1-3-4

L3 1-2-3-4.

L4 1-2-1-3-4

L5 1-2-1-3-1-4

L6 through L21 all remain the same as L5

L22 1 (Kill screen).

Great score Fringert! You have now beaten my high:cool: Whats your strategy for the elevator levels from 4 onwards? Ive tried 3 or 4 different ways, but cant come up with an answer. Please tell:)

Its all in the video! Listen to Billy, "somebody wants to become an Aussie Arcade World Champion,what do they do? Forget it!You don't become a world champion, it's in your DNA!:lol:lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SKZxvDQryA&feature=related]YouTube - Billy Mitchell - MTV Interview - The King of Kong[/ame]

• Like 1

Like everyone has said this is way harder than Crazy Kong, but I do prefer the US set, it feels real :)

I'm sure I have played the US set in the arcades in OZ in the day.

This is not my highest ever, I think I have got over 120k on US DK in the past.

Some great scores here :)

The trick to the bouncing girders is..................

On level 4 they come in groups of three or four then a slightly larger gap. They also drop in a different area of the screen. Watch and count.........then move.......but it's still difficult, I died there this time, but have made it in the past.

dkon0000.png.bb0a50e9175eb8223a97c7a0327b16fa.png

• Like 1

Good advice Rat, i think ive found a sweet spot. When a spring hits a few mm to the right of the right ladder, thats when i go.

As you said though, it is hard, and its seems to be random sometimes(if youv'e lost a life or not).

Is anyone point pressing? or just trying to get through the level?

• Like 1

you're the man fingert, can't get to L04 , yet !

See where you died there, you dont need to go down that road man, when in the middle section jump on the elevator and then jump on to the second girder down....almost straight away. That takes away 2 efforts of dodging the springs:cool:

• Like 1

I've never played this before in any arcade! It's much harder than crazy kong and whats with the random levels? Very strange:blink:

Nearly half way! Fireballs on fourth level are getting hard to predict!

FFS you are now pulling off 350,000+ scores and you have never played it before this week, look OK the Galaga Hiscore I can deal with but consecutive weeks with massive Highscores on games you have never played before, come on, think you are fucking up the MGL for everyone else.

Not calling cheat (close)_ but noone ever in the MGL has been that good on consecutive games, unless you are the RAINMAN of video games I feel we need some proof of your scores of another member here to validate it with sight.

Sorry man I just don't buy it, prove me otherwise

• Like 1

FFS you are now pulling off 350,000+ scores and you have never played it before this week, look OK the Galaga Hiscore I can deal with but consecutive weeks with massive Highscores on games you have never played before, come on, think you are fucking up the MGL for everyone else.

Not calling cheat (close)_ but noone ever in the MGL has been that good on consecutive games, unless you are the RAINMAN of video games I feel we need some proof of your scores of another member here to validate it with sight.

Sorry man I just don't buy it, prove me otherwise

To be fair to DK, i have been suspicious of this score and have had discussions with him about it. I have mentioned to DK that this score may not be plausible through conventional methods.

If you have indeed scored this through proper means Fringert, i will apologise now. But i have reason to belive this is not the case.

To obtain a score of 369,500 at level 10 would mean you are playing at the level of Weibie and Mitchel, hence, on every level that is possible you would be point pressing where applicable...... I personaly dont think that this can be achived after 1 day of Donkey Kongs(us set1) learning curve( seeing you stated you have never played this version before)

Steve and Billy have been playing for 20 years.

The only other solution i came up with was that you may have unlimited lives set for a period.

I set my rom set to "unlimited lives" to do a comparison to your score, to see how close it would be with your score and mine in the end. I lost 22 lives to reach level 10!

Your score---369,500

Mine---368,500

I have repeated this test 3 times and come within 5000 points of your score, this to me eliminates random factors.

I really hope i have made a major miscalculation with this, but, i dont belive i have. As DK says, maybe another form of varification is in order........

• Like 1

And because of this the MGL will be on hold from now till this is clarified.

The current game will stand till the current dilemma is sorted so keep playing until we can verify this situation. This will make it fair for everyone and future games ;)

• Like 1