Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL - T9 Game 3: Asteroids Deluxe

Game 3: Asteroids Deluxe

Rom: astdelux

Randomly selected from the MGL 9 game list

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242049107.jpg

http://www.klov.com/images/11/1181242049112.png

No current high score for this game

Manufacturer: Atari

Year: 1980

Class: Wide Release

Genre: Space

Type: Videogame

Monitor:

Orientation: Horizontal

Type: Vector

CRT: Black and White with a Color Overlay

19-inch Electrohome G05-802/805

Conversion Class: unique

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Buttons: Rotational (left, right)

Buttons: 3

Sound: Unamplified Mono (requires one-channel amp)

Pilot a spaceship equipped with shields and auto-fire as you blast through level after level of rotating asteroids. UFOs and multi-segmented Killer Satellites take chase, searching for an opportunity to destroy your ship.

Asteroids Deluxe features modified gameplay intentionally designed to challenge players who had mastered the original Asteroids. Hyperspace was replaced with a new option called "shields", which creates a protective barrier around the players' ship. This barrier is only effective when the button is depressed and held (unlike hyperspace), and depletes with use (also unlike hyperspace). The players' ship was redesigned to include two side fins and a narrower body, keeping the overall ship dimensions identical to the original game. The ship has the same maximum velocity as in Asteroids, but can accelerate twice as fast. Firing is automatic, holding down the fire button will release a maximum of four shots (on screen) at a time. The asteroids themselves rotate as they travel about the screen. Firing accuracy of the two saucers was improved, and the saucers shoot both "wrap-around" shots and shoot immediately upon entering the screen (both features designed to discourage UFO hunting). Atari added extra challenge to the game by introducing the "Killer Satellite" or "Hexagon", a snowflake-like object which breaks into three ship-chasing "Diamonds" once hit. Each diamond in turn can break into two "Sharks" or "Wedges" (they resemble the dorsal fin of a shark) which also pursue the players' ship. Overall a much more difficult game than the original Asteroids.(http://www.klov.com/A/Asteroids_Deluxe.html)

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 9 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time.

Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line and don't forget your screen shot, any troubles let me know.

Mid week bonus of 10 MGL points are awarded to the highest submitted score as at Midnight Wednesday. The highest submitted score at the end of the MGL week will receive 100 MGL points.

Your scores need to be in by next Monday 17th of August BY 8PM (NSW daylight savings time).

DKong

Edited by DKong
  • Like 1

Good timing with this one. I believe that there might be an Asteroids Deluxe at the Mega Meat this weekend :D

:cool: We might get some scores from the Mega meet, better get the camera ready Foot.

• Like 1

Thrust vectoring is the key to this:laugh: And a "quick trigger finger":lol

I agree Rat, shield is way better than hyperspace, at least you know where your at!

Ill post a pic soon, having trouble with bmp for some reason....to high a resolution it says????

1380399233_ADresized.jpg.f1ada3b59e17a6f55c7697df8926e54f.jpg

Edited by wingtipvortex
  • Like 1

Never played this before, it feels like it too... it does seem easier to score than the 'real' asteroids though and is less of a bore. More effort required I can see looking at past Asteroids tourneys :o

Though vector games are a soft spot...Space Wars being my favourite two player video game of all time :)

EDIT: Score update. Inching forward, want that 50k...

asta4.jpg.e91fc3fe59cd07e8f0c6d0b7fcd38296.jpg

Edited by Jed
score
  • Like 1

Tell you what, this game is giving me what Motorcycle Racers refer to as 'Arm Pump'. You need to hammer away on the fire button like crazy to get decent results, Oh my aching forearm...

I've grown to really enjoy this game over the last week of the comp. You can have a lot of fun with the shield and those hunter ships that split off and seek you are good to joust with, too. They get quite angry after 40k though, real fast.

Great game.

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

• Super Moderator

Score: 13270

astdelu1.png.1a30efcbd68933ed68805a67775c9e55.png

Haven't put too much effort into this, and after playing AK's dedicated unit I can assure that the you can't beat the real deal

• Like 1

played it on xbox, thing was so postprocessed i couldnt see any bullets. Appears playing blind worked out for me, playing it on the PC I couldnt crack 7k. :/

Have been maming my cab and rearranging the house this weekend so didnt spend any additional time on it.

astdelux.jpg.f4deb695a7eaf6b6b3ef7f4247a6306e.jpg

• Like 1