No announcement yet.

MGL 28 - Game 6 ~ Q*bert ~ [FINISHED]

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Q*bert is one of those games which nearly falls into the not acceptable games list like Street Fighter - it needs to be played on a standard cabinet. Sure the game only uses a 4 way joystick, but if the joystick isn't positioned at a 45 degree angle then it make the game kinda weird - I couldn't imagine trying to play this on a standard joystick, it would just be weird.

Anyone having issues playing this on a MAME cabinet, I suggest loading it up on your PC and setting it to the keys I suggested (which was reposted a page or two back). The human brain is not equipped to think left on a joystick equates to a character moving left and down, nor right on the joystick making the character moving up and right.

Comment

33720 http://i.imgur.com/4QipaNo.jpg
      I play this on my cab using a 4 way joystick and dont have an issue [emoji14] but maybe im just weird...

Just for reference. when i press down he goes south west. press right he goes south east. press up he goes north east and left is goes north west..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	qber0004.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	1814537
          sigpic

Comment

Name:	qbert_84925.PNG
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1814539

RichyS

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post
              I'd hazard a guess that some of the new USA/TG players that have joined in may well be able to kick my arse at this one.
              There is a 1million plus score over there and they didn't even play all of their lives.

Comment

Name:	qbert_98385.PNG
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1814545

Panicked and lost 3 lives on last screen...

RichyS

Comment

Not doing too well at this game

I tried to fix my joystick up by putting my 4way restrictor on a diagonal like pic below. (The pic is not mine that one seems to have the 4way bumps worn off, mine are still in place)

Name:	525EB87C-D0D6-4F6E-BB88-92F8A15FC547-13937-00001BE1A7A6558A_zps2003e91d.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1814550

Then I set the control in mame to this.....

UP = Joystick configured to Right/Up
                  DOWN = Joystick configured to Down/Left
                  LEFT = Joystick configured to Left/Up
                  Right = Joystick configured to Down/Right

But I am still having difficulty hitting the directions I want and find I'm getting stuck and not moving or jumping the wrong way, I'm not sure how or why ? I thought with this set up it would be easy.

Anyway I will have another couple of tries and if I don't get used to it I will just play on the PC with keyboard although I doubt I will score much. I think this is a good game and I like the original puzzle element, but AFAIK it's patternable like pacman so for me that ruins it, I don't like games where you just have to commit patterns of movement to memory to win, I prefer games of skill. Yeah you don't have to play patterns, but the fact that you can means if you don't you are severely handicapped against those who do.

Possibly my one and only score submission for this.......

Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Name:	0010.png
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	1814551

Comment

Name:	qber0011.png
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	1814556
                      sigpic

Comment

105630 - pleased with that

Name:	qbert_105630.PNG
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	1814562

RichyS

Comment

17,435 - the game Q*berts Cubes is a follow on to this one I guess, but I find is much easier to play? I make so many stupid mistakes in this one, as soon as you touch the joy stick you have that "oh nooo" feeling.

Name:	qber0015.png
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	1814566

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post
                            For the record, I think Q*Bert is patternable but there are still enough randomness about it - but I'm not 100% on this. Either way, with Q*Bert I haven't got around to looking at pattern play, I just adlib it which is probably why I can't marathon it....yet...
                            I find this point interesting, I thought it was patternable I assumed as easily and predictably as the original pacman, but I really don't know. I would like to hear from the big scorers how random is it? do you use patterns? do they always work?
                            Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              I find this point interesting, I thought it was patternable I assumed as easily and predictably as the original pacman, but I really don't know. I would like to hear from the big scorers how random is it? do you use patterns? do they always work?
                              In the grand scheme of things, I am not a big scorer - with a top score just under 300k. The most I've looked into Q*Bert tactics is in the later stages, and even the early stages, go down to the left or right and fill them in, then go along the bottom to the opposite side and fill them in - meaning you should rarely have to go back to them. Then work your way up the pyramid to finish it off.

I don't think I've ever seen a red ball go all the way down the left or right side to trap you in the bottom corners of the pyramid - not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it. Same goes for Slick & Sam (those little bastards who mess up the board for you) - I've never seen them go down the far left or right extremes of the board and mess it up.

What I have ascertained by my own playing before checking with marathon players is that there is nothing at all random about the appearance of enemies - they will always come out in a patterns. e.g. level x-y will have a red ball, then the purple coily ball, then slick and sam etc. etc. - but I'm pretty sure their movement is random if that makes sense. So in other words, you know on certain levels when the green "freeze" ball will come out, but it's movement is not consistent, but if you know when it's coming out you have a greater chance at getting it.

The only thing I've worked out that isn't random one little bit is the way the purple coily ball comes down on stage 1-1 and the first ball comes down also on 1-1.

EDIT : And just on the patternable thing as per pac-man - well in pac-man you will never ever die if you know the patterns, I don't think that is the case with Q*Bert. I never watched much of George play, but I did watch a fair bit of Ed play then they had their Q*Bert off or whatever it was - these marathon players do die - but their play is to a point where they don't lose a Q (or is that Bert? or a Nooser?) as often as they score 14,000 pts for a new life. I think when I scored nearly 300k the last time this came up, I was just maintaining lives. You need to consistently build lives in the bank to marathon this one.

Comment

dont laugh
                                but i can only manage 6,075

Name:	WP_20160708_16_33_08_Pro.jpg
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	1814569
                                The Duke of Doonside

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X