Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGL 28 - RULES - WATCH THE TUBE on page 1 (Nominations are CLOSED)

Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've not put too much thought into it but no, I can't readily think of games that don't result in death. However, this topic oddly makes me think of Jump Bug where one gamer once commented that it was hard to know what the enemy was because everything (friendly or enemy) was smiling at them.

Comment

I have put some thought into violence in games recently, I have not been keeping up with new releases for awhile but a couple of months ago I watched people playing the latest Mortal Kombat PS4 game. I was blown away by the awesome graphics on the 4k widescreen and the ultra violence and thought it was a shame that some young kids would be playing it. I thought it was fun and exciting to watch as an adult briefly, but I'm not a fan of fighters generally.

I discouraged my kids when they were younger from playing online FPS because I believe (and so does science) that frequent exposure to death and violence real or simulated conditions people to it and lowers their empathy. People who have a low level of empathy can be not very nice. Now this is different than saying violent games cause people to be violent which I mostly disagree with, I say mostly because there are a minority of people who are easily influenced and have tried to emulate the violence in games in real life, I don't think we should ban everything because of that though.

My daughter is now 21 and plays whatever she likes, probably nothing, as a pre-teen she mostly played The Sims, by the age of 14 / 15 she wanted to play FPS with her friends online so I allowed it but cautioned her about the empathy issue and told her she should limit her time playing them, which she did and after a while lost interest. Personally I'm not interested in online FPS at all as I find getting shot by opponents I can't see and have no way to dodge frustrating. I did enjoy playing single player Max Payne and Doom3 a few years ago.....but don't have time for them and my retro games and pinball and everything else so I don't play PC games anymore.

My son now 13 got into minecraft a couple fo years ago, then basket ball games, mario kart and I play WiiU New Super Mario with him sometimes (awesome co-op game) but usually he just plays casual android games on an infrequent basis. He has asked to play FPS online and recently I did allow him to play counterstrike which some of his friends were playing, he seems to have lost interest in that also, good

I have not passed on my love of retro games and pinball to either of them or my wife, but they tolerate them and endure my passion by watching all the pinball and arcade movies that come out and they would know the names of most of the popular 80's games My son has played the pinballs and does play fairly well, he is interested if there is a comp and if he thinks he can beat someone, but generally doesn't want to play them. When I recently got MMR-LE he played one or two games, politely said "that's nice" or something like that and hasn't played again. I play my games on my own, but they ride MTBs with me so that's even better

So what games have no violence and death in them??? ummmm not many video games but most pinball games don't have death how about Ecco The Dolphin on PSX ? actually I don't know if he died in the end because I died of boredom 30mins after playing it so didn't get far. Many puzzle games don't have violence or death, I'm sure I can think of some more. Later I will go through the favourites lists I have on my mame cab and see if there are any that you don't die in
      Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Ecco the Dolphin. I remember playing that on mega drive I think. You are dead right about dying of boredom. Good lord, that was a dull game. I remember thinking, I wish I could kill something with this stupid dolphin

Comment

Originally posted by Jed View Post
          [MENTION=9320]Barra[/MENTION] ...did i see somewherre you got 1.5 million or something on Bank Panic.... I can only get a third of that I'd like to know your secret....
          )
          PB is around 2.5m. I quit with a few lives left

As with most games of the era, bank panic plateau's in difficulty. Once you can deal with this, the game becomes much easier. Also, later on in the game (1m+, can't remember the exact round), the game gives you the same pattern of enemies and so the game just becomes monotonous and repetitive. So much more fun when you can't anticipate the baddies and just have to react. Once you have reached this point you have really "beaten" the game so to speak, and the only thing left to do is play for 5-6 hours and get the max-out (I have thought about doing this but never committed)

Keep up the good work!

As for MGL28 noms, havent really had a chance to think about what I would nominate. I'm happy just to play whatever comes up.

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

Comment

.... but wait....aren't most games death related .....
            Click image for larger version

Name:	desert-bus.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1813837

EDIT: When I view this list on PC it displays the screenshot of Desert Bus (which I wanted).
            When I view it on my iPad the screenshot changes to [MENTION=2636]Rat[/MENTION] s profile picture.
            Rest assured if you can see a happy rat on my post it's not my fault.
            Not sure if that's something you are interested in [MENTION=1]Arcade King[/MENTION] ?
            Last edited by bigredbird; 2 June 2016, 04:40 PM. Reason: Rat invasion
            My Twitch stream -

Comment

Great video OOO, I'll make the effort and have a crack at this one. Will be great to catch up with you all again!

Comment

Originally posted by bigredbird View Post
                When I view it on my iPad the screenshot changes to @Rat s profile picture.
                Not sure if that's something you are interested in @Arcade King ?
                That's just me hacking your iPad to promote my Tassie Pin/Arcade FB page are you not on FB MrBird?

Oh and don't use your iPad in the toilet as I can see you through the selfie camera and I don't want to see that
                Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Had a tough day at work today ... and fired up the browser when I got home to check in on MGL28 ...
                  ... and I must say I haven't stopped laughing from the most ingenious and creative posts I have just read.

Where do you guys get these mushrooms from?

Sorry I know you guys have copyright, but it's so good I had to list some of them again ...

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                  Yep.....although Twister is eliminated due to the control panel configuration unfortunately

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94045[/ATTACH]

Originally posted by magrinder View Post
                  [MENTION=17891] [MENTION=2636]Rat[/MENTION]: The abundance of primary colors in twister remind me of something else, though I'm not readily able to put my finger on it...
                  ... too many mushrooms! ...

I've not put too much thought into it but no, I can't readily think of games that don't result in death. However, this topic oddly makes me think of Jump Bug where one gamer once commented that it was hard to know what the enemy was because everything (friendly or enemy) was smiling at them.
                  ... that is an awesome example ...

So what games have no violence and death in them??? how about Ecco The Dolphin on PSX ? actually I don't know if he died in the end because I died of boredom 30mins after playing it so didn't get far.

Ecco the Dolphin. I remember playing that on mega drive I think. You are dead right about dying of boredom. Good lord, that was a dull game. I remember thinking, I wish I could kill something with this stupid dolphin

Originally posted by bigredbird View Post
                  You don't die in this one... You probably just wish you did...

Desert Bus game

The drive from Tucson, Arizona, to Las Vegas, Nevada, takes approximately eight hours when travelling in a vehicle whose top speed is forty-five miles per hour. In Desert Bus, an online video game from 1995 players must complete that journey in real time.

Finishing a single leg of the trip requires considerable stamina and concentration in the face of arch boredom: the vehicle constantly lists to the right, so players cannot take their hands off the virtual wheel; swerving from the road will cause the bus’s engine to stall, forcing the player to be towed back to the beginning. The game cannot be paused. The bus carries no virtual passengers to add human interest, and there is no traffic to negotiate. The only scenery is the odd sand-pocked rock or road sign.

Players earn a single point for each eight-hour trip completed between the two cities, making a Desert Bus high score perhaps the most costly in gaming.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]94056[/ATTACH]

EDIT: When I view this list on PC it displays the screenshot of Desert Bus (which I wanted).
                  When I view it on my iPad the screenshot changes to [MENTION=2636]Rat[/MENTION] s profile picture.
                  Not sure if that's something you are interested in [MENTION=1]Arcade King[/MENTION] ?
                  ... now this post is a classic - Desert Bus, a screenshot and a classic tale of gaming ...

Thanks to the posts, my day at work was not so bad after all! ...

__________________________________________________ _______________

D.B.Cooper kindly drops by, walking into summer in Oregon, and puts in his 5 nominations, as well as kane.

4.5 hours to go until nominations close for the rest of you out there ... can you make it?

Last edited by OOO; 2 June 2016, 07:58 PM.

MGLXLIV - Arcade Runner - on now!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/a...tions-are-open

Comment

Oh and don't use your iPad in the toilet as I can see you through the selfie camera and I don't want to see that
                    Come on ppl, fess up - surely I'm not the only one who takes the iPad to the crapper with them. Hack my iPad if you like [MENTION=2636]Rat[/MENTION] - most of my iPad game play happens on the crapper. It's call multitasking if you need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by OOO View Post

Thanks to the posts, my day at work was not so bad after all! ...
                      Glad everyone could improve your day.
                      Maybe you should try some of those mushrooms you keep talking about!

That's just me hacking your iPad to promote my Tassie Pin/Arcade FB page are you not on FB MrBird?
                      No, not on FB.
                      I like to stay incognito.
                      That's how I got to drink all night at your house at your Head to Head gaming night and get photos like this with you with your tinfoil hat, cuddling a beer and you still don't know who I am.

Click image for larger version

Name:	rat and wayne.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1813842
                      My Twitch stream -

Comment

Yeah but you can't use your iproducts to read my thoughts cause I have the hat, Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah but you can't use your iproducts to read my thoughts cause I have the hat, Wayne.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Not to mention the bubble wrap vest

Comment

Galaga AND Bump & Jump?

Won't don't we all just sit back and watch Barra and John73 play each game

Brad
                            My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

I would reckon these would both be defined as "high delta" games.

Also interesting is the point structure of the current tournament. I'm not sure if this was by design, or to perhaps accommodate an anticipated increase in participants. This is only an observation, not any sort of judgment of the scoring system. Again, I'm quite content with whatever is presented. How does this difference impact things? One one hundreth equates to one percent where one twentieth (as an example similar to last tournament) equates to five percent. As a result, we should see some very close end scores as the tournament closes percentage wise. The delta comparison will be different too.

I hope this post isn't over kill on the topic, but these sorts of statistics, and methods used have always drawn my interest.

When I was a kid, I used to play hours and hours of a made up baseball league just to create stats to mess around with. I was always more interested in pouring over the individual player stats rather than the results of the overall games. Odd? Too much info? Perhaps.

Comment

Also interesting is the point structure of the current tournament. I'm not sure if this was by design, or to perhaps accommodate an anticipated increase in participants.
                                Two major points here ...

Firstly and importantly the members here recently wanted a change to the incremental system over the percentage system, percentage being used at Aucade, Funspot and other tournaments.
                                John73 implemented the percentage system in recent MGL history on a suggestion from Fire_Power, and it did work well.

Secondly we live in a big world and the MGL is growing thanks to all of you members here and the other forums around the world. The MGL is growing, so aim big and aim to please, 100 points to the top score for 100 players in MGL28. Let's see if we can get there and have a great time together!

When I was a kid, I used to play hours and hours of a made up baseball league just to create stats to mess around with. I was always more interested in pouring over the individual player stats rather than the results of the overall games. Odd? Too much info? Perhaps.
                                It's never too much info and the stats are very interesting! I wish we did not lose the MGL history from 1-7, unfortunately a clean out for disk space ( many years ago). I would have liked to have this information to build a statistical analysis of games, players or those things that stand out for the entire history of the MGL. You know like Steph on the 3 pointers this season at GS in the NBA, Manning on the TD records in the NFL, and so logically magrinder on the stats of his MGL27 win ... . I know Fire_Power is also a fan of the stats as are many others.

Let's see what affect MGL28 has on the MGL history and even perhaps the affect on world CAG gaming. Think big, enjoy and PLAY BIG ...

MGLXLIV - Arcade Runner - on now!

https://www.aussiearcade.com/forum/a...tions-are-open

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X