Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

[FINISHED] MGL 26 - Game 2 - Roc 'n Rope

Game number 2 Roc 'n Rope

Released by Konami - who made some great games. It was published towards the end of the golden era of arcades in 1983. Originally it was only available in an upright cabinet. It's been ported to a few other platforms.

You begin at the bottom left, and must work your way up to the Roc who is at the upper right of the screen. This screen has a brown 'outdoors' look to it. There are many layers of ledges coming out from the sides of the screen. While the middle of the screen is open to the sky (except for a few floating platforms). To beat this level all you have to do is use your harpoon gun to climb diagonally back and forth until you reach the top. Collect bonuses along the way. Oh, and don't forget about the bad guys either, there's caveman and dragons chasing you.

Details:

Rom:

rocnrope

Dips:

Lives 3

Difficulty Easy 1

1st Bonus Life 20k

Repeated bonus 40k

Grant repeat bonus Yes

Controls: 4 way joystick, two buttons - harpoon and beam

Score submissions into this thread, first line listing your score and include the screenshot. Submit as many scores as you want. Scores will close at 19:00 hrs, Sydney time, Sunday 13 September 2015.

Lets follow the convention of previous MGLs and not publish any tips until the second week of gaming.

I'll keep the cat in the bag about who nominated until after the final game of MGL26 so that people don't get carried away guessing what's upcoming and who's been ruled out of the next game selection. Remember, after the four most nominated games were selected by popularity the remaining nominations from those who had not had a game selected went into the hat for a random draw of the remaining four games. We're alternating game play between popular and random but I'll let you guess the order of these two groups.

Edited by Fire_Power

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't think I've even heard of this one. Guessing its one of the "random" games? :P

Doesn't seem that long ago it was played in MGL I'm surprised it was before your time.

On another off topic tangent typical of myself.......... :) my son Ollie 12 had two friends come over for a sleep over tonight......I had met both of them previously and they knew about the games room but only showed a mild interest, over dinner we started talking games, and VR and new tech etc and it became apparent they might be interested. So after they had some time doing Ollie's stuff I announced I was going to the games room and they were welcome to come and have a look if they wanted. Yep they were keen, Ollie usually isn't really interested, but his friends were. They wanted to start with Mortal Kombat......I'm NOT a fighter fan but whatever, I thought they would play that and that would be it. But no, one of them had a real interest and play all the cabs, he inspired the others, he got through the first round of Defender after about 5 tries, no other first time player at my place has EVER done that, or played it more than twice actually. He wanted to play Donkey Kong, Space Duel and Pinball and even the other mate who was less enthusiastic yelled out when he locked both balls on Pin_Bot "yeah got em"

One of them said "I wish my Dad played video games" and the others said "but hey he takes you to the Falls Festival" and he said "but he doesn't play games"

Mostly I find kids have only had a mild passing interest, so that was a cool experience, he is going to come back for the H2H meet :)

I assume we're using EASY (1) for the difficulty? Different MAME versions label it differently. 106 has EASY 1-4, NORMAL 1-8 and DIFFICULT 1-4, whereas 159 has 1-16, with 1 labeled as EASY and 16 as DIFFICULT

I don't know about this - any Rock 'n Rope experts care to comment? We don't play for sheep stations so I'm ok with EASY (1) unless someone objects or if you CrazyKongFan feel it's giving you an advantage? Maybe try a few games on EASY (4) and see if it makes much difference?

I don't know about this - any Rock 'n Rope experts care to comment? We don't play for sheep stations so I'm ok with EASY (1) unless someone objects or if you CrazyKongFan feel it's giving you an advantage? Maybe try a few games on EASY (4) and see if it makes much difference?

I guess another way to check, when you were doing the dipswitch settings, was it the leftmost one? If so, that'd be EASY 1.

Oh yeah, and this is a minor nitpick, but it's actually Roc'n Rope...Roc like the mythical Roc bird:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_%28mythology%29

:D

I guess another way to check, when you were doing the dipswitch settings, was it the leftmost one? If so, that'd be EASY 1.

Sorry didn't look hard enough at what the available settings were :redface so yes it's EASY 1

Oh yeah, and this is a minor nitpick, but it's actually Roc'n Rope...Roc like the mythical Roc bird:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_%28mythology%29

:D

Noted :redface

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82190[/ATTACH]

Had never played this game before and after a couple of games was thinking I could understand why I had never seen it before.. it sucks. A few more games and I started to understand it. I am now with magrinder, this is much more enjoyable than Galaxian for me (but I don't want to say that too loudly as there seem to be some real Galaxian fans here).