Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 21 - Nominate your games by PM ONLY ... [CLOSED]

MGL 21 will kick off on Friday 2-May-2014 and the first game will be posted and start by 7pm. Then it's GAME ON!

Settings for MGL 21:

1. Default DIP switches will be posted for every game.

2. There will be 8 games, each running for 16 days. Game 2 will be announced one week after game 1 starts, so this is a 9 week competition.

Games start by 7pm on a Friday and finish the following Sunday week at 7pm. This provides three full weekends of play per game!

3. Points scoring will be the percentage system and everyone who submits a score will receive points.

Rules for nominating your games:

1. MGL 21 will be a hidden favourites competition.

2. Every player can nominate up to 5 different games.

3. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR GAMES IN HERE OR PUBLICLY - To nominate your games you need to send a private message (PM) to the MGL organiser (OOO for MGL21) with your nominations.

After you send your PM, you cannot change your nominations.

4. Each game you nominate counts as one vote. You cannot give 2 or more votes to one game.

5. After nominations close, 4 games with the most votes will be played. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group. Plus another 4 games with the most votes will be played, but these games must not have been played before in the MGL. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group.

For example, 20 players nominate 5 different games each via PM to the MGL organiser.

After putting all votes together, 1 game has 5 votes, 3 games have 4 votes and the other games have less than 4 votes.

So 4 games by most popular vote have been decided.

In the "remaining" never played before in the MGL game pool, 2 games have 2 votes and 40 games have 1 vote.

The 2 games with 2 votes are played plus 2 more randomly selected from the 1 vote group.

It is possible that more than 4 games never played before in the MGL are played, as the most votes group could have a game(s) never played before.

6. After nominations are closed, the 8 games to be played will not be made public immediately.

The games will be made public "one at a time" for every game to be released each Friday by 7pm.

In this way no player will know what games were selected and even what games they will be selected from, other than the 5 games they nominated.

So this a great hidden favourites tournament and everyone will enjoy playing each game as best as they can, not knowing what is coming up next.

7. The following games are excluded from your nominations. All games are out that were recently played in MGL 18 to 20 and the Shmups Off.

Excluded games:

1942, Amidar, Bank Panic, Black Tiger, Bomb Jack, Bubble Bobble, Dig Dug, Do Don Pachi, Frogger, Galaga, Galaxian, Gyruss, Jumping Jack, Kung-Fu Master, Ladybug, Mario Bros, Moon Patrol, Pac-Man, Pooyan, Q*Bert, Scramble, Slap Fight, Tiger Heli, Turtles, Valtric, Wonder Boy, Xevious

8. No bootlegs/clones of excluded games are allowed. (e.g. Pac n Pal is the same as Pac-Man and Chomp Chomp). If in doubt, nominate your game and it will be reviewed to determine if it is valid.

9. Games must be playable on a standard cabinet - 1 joystick and 3 buttons maximum. Trackball games are out.

10. Game continues are not allowed for score submissions. Please only play a single game from the beginning if you want to submit a score.

11. Everyone at AA is welcome to play in the MGL and you do not need to nominate to play, the more the merrier ? :)

12. I will release the games in alternating order: Never played before, then most votes, never played before, most votes etc. However I will rearrange the order to prevent 2 shooters being back to back (like Exed Exes then Phoenix), or 2 similar maze games being back to back (like Pac-man Plus then Turtles). Sometimes I will not be able to prevent this from happening with what is selected to play.

13. Nominations close Thursday 1-May-2014 at 10pm.

14. At the end of the MGL, I will post all the nominations made by members so you can see which games were in the pool of games.

Check KLOV.com, lookup MAME and check your arcade machines to nominate away by PM.

Mystery Prize:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/200px-Question_Block_NSMB_zps115d58ff.png

At the end of the MGL, all players that played every game in the MGL will be in a mystery prize draw.

I am donating the prize and one player will win the prize, drawn by chance - "out of a hat".

I will post the name of the winner of the prize and contact them by PM so I can get their address to send the prize to them.

The small value prize (arcade related) will be revealed at the end of the MGL.

Previous winners of the mystery prize are eligible if they play all 8 games.

MGL 21 nominations are now open ... :)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL21_Final_zps5fd9fb88.png

PS: Just in case anyone missed the decisions on streaming, game learning etc. in the Call for Ideas ... thread, a copy is below ...

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback.

There are many interesting points of view on the topics.

However where a majority did not agree to a change, that change will not be implemented ...

MGL 21 will be a hidden favourites competition, scoring under the percentage system with 8 games over 9 weeks.

Looking at the requests for popular games and more new games to be played, it will be 4 games by most votes plus 4 games never played before in the MGL. PM nominations sent to me and games released one at a time. OK

Some wanted to stream and have fun during the two weeks of game play. For that arcade feel, building interest, sharing knowledge and building the community, no rule will be created to restrict or stop streaming. Quite the opposite, enjoy it.

Watching other people play is also learning and sharing tips. Many players at AA have played many of these games before and have experience and knowledge of many games. This includes watching inps on MARP/TG/RU previously, looked at Youtube games for interest, watched live streams around the world and read strategies of the games. This has helped them to improve and become a better player plus develop a deeper understanding and appreciation of the games. New players just taking up gaming or not as experienced should have the same opportunity. Learn as fast as you want, you choose. No rule will be created to restrict or stop learning as fast as you want and sharing tips.

A score submission must be a single game with no continues. This is a current rule and does not change.

Regarding always resetting the game each game play, this will be posted against the game only when it is needed. Bubble Bobble comes to mind where this is needed, but all other games you do not need to do this (and waste time for EVERY single game EVERY time for 9 weeks EVERY MGL. Plus cab players turning off and on the machine EVERY game EVERY time is not practical.)

Regarding do we play default dips or TG, not enough votes were received to change to TG settings. Please note the TG scoreboard is not up now and Champow and other scoreboards do not have all the TG settings posted. So in this MGL we may have found playing at default dips anyway.

I'll open the nominations thread today. This will have the rules and a place for you guys to discuss games.

Please read the nominations thread with the rules before you nominate.

(I will clear my mailbox so I can receive your PMs)

MGL21 starts in 5 days ...

:)

Edited by OOO
  • Like 1

Looking back, my noms for the last two MGLs have never been played in the past

MGL 19 you nominated Wardner, which was played in MGL 1-7 somewhere.

All other 9 games you nominated were never played before ... :)

• Like 1

• Administrators
Looking back, my noms for the last two MGLs have never been played in the past

Hopefully Brad randomly picks one my mine again ha

Lord I hope not. I don't know what I was thinking with Jumping Jack ;)

Brad

Is this only open to AA members?

Well it helps if they are AA members in order to post their scores. Are you thinking of letting people play from your place and submitting that way? I'm sure something could be arranged but registering here is free and painless anyway. :)

For the nomination process, I think everyone needs to be registered here just to keep it above board.

They don't have a computer :/ but would hate for them to miss out. In the classic arcade challenge at my place Saturday, they got highest score on two of the three games played.

Wait until Paul (OOO) see's this. I personally don't see a problem with this, apart from the nomination process. I'm assuming you have internet access where you're playing and a computer, can they possibly register an account using your machine since you're going to be using it to submit scores anyway? Guessing they don't have a smart phone with internet access either by chance?

They don't have a computer :/ but would hate for them to miss out. In the classic arcade challenge at my place Saturday, they got highest score on two of the three games played.

It would be great if they could join in.

Just ask them to register with Aussie Arcade using their phone or tablet and then they can play on their/your cab and post a score with a picture that way.

Well overnight and today I received another 20 nominations from Rat, camaro, chrisbo and Brad.

And with the games nominated so far, there are some really terrific games, and sooooo many games never played before.

Exciting ... :026:

- - - Updated - - -

Got my cabinet hooked up and playable... not so pretty just yet but will be using for MGL 21!

Well get ready for a humdinger MGL on that cab ... :035:

.... 10pm Wednesday ... T minus 2 and counting ...

A few more nominations were received tonight, and there are only 24 hours until nominations close at 10pm tomorrow night.

If you want to nominate your games and have not done so, now's the time to get them in.

Then it's the launch of MGL 21 this Friday at 7pm ... Game 1 ... a game never played before in a MGL (and no I don't know what the game is yet!)

Noms sent, also might have another player just sent him a reminder to nominate games.

Thanks for the nominations ... 1.5 hours to go before nominations close ... then I have some homework to do ...

MGL 21 is launching soon ...