Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 21 - Call for ideas ... [CLOSED]

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL21_Final_zps5fd9fb88.png

Dear Great AAers,

Including those around the world and a special welcome to anyone who wants to join the fun and the challenge ?

MGL 21 will start on Friday 2/5.

Nominations will open on Sunday 27/4 and will close on Thursday 1/5 at 10pm.

However from today until Saturday next week, 26/4, I would like to ask you what changes, if any, would you like for MGL 21?

Here are some discussion points:

1. MGLs are 8 games over 9 weeks. Scoring is the percentage system so everyone scores points and you can score more for any improved score.

2. We played hidden favourites in the last MGL. Players nominate games by PM to the MGL organizer and the games with the most votes are selected for play.

3. Games from the last 2 years are excluded from nomination. This was to prevent the same games coming up every 6 x MGLs and encourage new games to be played.

4. With the exclusion rule, in the last 2 x MGLs, there were 2 new games in each tournament that were never played before. So 1 in 4 games.

5. Rat brought up the topic of whether players should be able to look at inp files, live streams and read up on strategies for the games. There is no current rule regarding this point and therefore it is currently allowed.

6. Some players have expressed not to ask for hints in the first week.

Please post your feedback in this thread by Saturday next week 26/4 10pm.

Any questions or thoughts, just post in this thread.

:)

PS1: The MGL 21 banner celebrates a very strange cartoon in Popeye which was made into an arcade game by Nintendo.

A conversion for Donkey Kong, Popeye loves spinach, Olive ? and the arcade ?

PS2: And here are the trophies for MGL 21, in honour of the Mr Do sequel, Mr Do?s Castle, also known as Mr Do vs the Unicorns ?

1st

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXXI_Champion_25mm_zps94d04eb4.png

2nd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXXI_2nd_25mm_zps8806abc1.png

3rd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXXI_3rd_25mm_zps64a5b9cf.png

Edited by OOO

Wow, I didn't think the next MGL would be so soon.

MGL 20 finished on 6/4.

MGL 21 starts on 2/5 ... that's 26 days ... more than 3 weeks ... almost one month ...

The arcade never closes ... there are games to be played ... from a choice of hundreds ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Pacman_Machine_zpsb3b61f58.gif

- - - Updated - - -

How about we nominate as per normal but only the games with the least votes get picked?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Waiting for others to comment ... :)

Games with least votes, there would be a large amount with 1 vote each. They could then be randomly drawn? Also, each person has max of 1 (or 2) of their games make it in.

Or we could have games that have never been in an MGL (well as far as we can tell)

Never been in before sounds ok, or selected from one vote only which just about makes it back to random draw from noms.

Maybe maze followed by shooter followed by platform or some pattern of forced variety?

Maybe all from one year or one from '78, then '79, '80 etc

Personally, being very new to the MGL I haven't had a chance to play some of the great games that have already been played so i feel I have missed out. I can see that others who have played plenty of MGL's need a change and understand that.

There are a few games I think I'd like to nominate however I don't know if others would vote for them or not, I guess that is the luck of the draw.

There is one game I'd nominate that I am sure no one else would..... that means I am back to supporting this one vote game system.

I guess you can all disregard my post and move on as if it never happened.

I guess you can all disregard my post and move on as if it never happened.

Nonsense, all feedback is welcome ... :)

If some want to play the great games already played and some want to only play new games, we could split the voting 50/50 like this ...

For the total 8 games ...

4 new games must be played, not played before in the MGL.

We can select these by most votes or we can select these on least votes.

4 games already played in the MGL are to be selected with the omission of only MGL 18-20 games.

We can select these by most votes or we can select these on least votes.

However least votes means some really poor games can be selected and satisfies fewer MGL members as they don't get to play what more people have asked for.

Just a suggestion on the feedback so far ...

I would like to see a combination of popular and rare games played, as OOO suggests if we go for "least" votes then we will get some real shockers and interest will soon drop off. Only having the most voted means we get quality games that are usually well liked by MGLers, but the downside is I know (as do most) a few good games that I would like to nominate and knowing they are unknown to nearly everyone it's a waste of time me nominating them as no-one else will and they won't make the cut.

So IMO a best of both worlds mix could be as follows..............

People still get a # of nominations (probably 4 would work well for this to give the unknowns more chance) that are added up and the Top 4 voted games get in, then the other 4 can be made up from a random selection of games that only got one or two votes.

Play them in rotating order, popular game followed by random game followed by popular.......making it less likely to get 4 shockers in a row.

I think this would give us a good mix of popular quality classics as well as still getting some unknown games some play. It would also add more mystery to which game will be next, and you will never know if your hidden classic will be drawn or not.

3. Games from the last 2 years are excluded from nomination. This was to prevent the same games coming up every 6 x MGLs and encourage new games to be played.

5. Rat brought up the topic of whether players should be able to look at inp files, live streams and read up on strategies for the games. There is no current rule regarding this point and therefore it is currently allowed.

6. Some players have expressed not to ask for hints in the first week.

3. As a newbie a lot of good games are blocked by this rule... but I understand the reason behind it and can't complain.

5. I reckon if you can study the game and then master it in the time the competition gives you.... good luck to you.

6. Doesn't faze me.... am happy to share from day 1 if there is something I know..... but I don't know much.

... if we go for "least" votes then we will get some real shockers ....

Will we? Back in the days of random draws this didn't happen. We might get games that don't suit me or you or somebody, but it's tough to say they'll be shockers. I can only recall strongly divided opinions on Crush Roller and general dislike for Radar Scope. (It's just a misunderstood game :) )

But I like your idea of mixing it up too.

I'm sort of happy with the way it is, but I don't mind if we either go for 4 favorites and 4 random "least vote" games - might spice things up, might also supply some real crappy games... who knows :)

As for the live stream/INP etc. issues - I'm all for live streaming, unfortunately it's only really Barra who streams the most, I do a little bit of it and occasionally you might see MameShane streaming too. Streaming is probably the closest any of us will get to recreating the arcade experience - you can watch a guy play live, you can listen as they curse at the game, and also ask questions about how they play - just like you did in the good old days. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it really would be good if more players could stream their game play. Watching live streams (even from day 1) should be encouraged IMO, but only watching it as a live stream - no going back and re-watching/pausing to study the game play. INP's are a different kettle of fish, and we really should discourage people from using them IMO.

Save States and pausing should be left as is - a no go zone, there is just too much potential for pausing to be abused IMO. One thing that has previously been allowed, and still is as far as I'm concerned, is the use of continues. If the game allowed continues in the arcade, then you use continues during the MGL - BUT only for learning/getting further into the game - every submitted score must be a single credit and the game must be played from the games beginning.

Both of the above issues however come down to the fundamental rule of MGL - honesty. We can't stop pausing, we can't stop save stating, we can't stop people downloading INPs.

On final point, we've had much debate over the years about DIP settings - with TG relaunching soon, do we revisit this? It's true the some times TG settings can completely ruin a game (Tutankham for example) but overall I think it's good to try and compete on the world stage, and if an AA'er can take down a TG record then I think we should encourage this.

Oh, and happy 21st to the MGL :birthday2:

I'm happy to go along with whatever is decided re voting and game selection. If I remember rightly it was suggested before about nominating games that hadn't been played before but it didn't happen. My 5 picks for that one were all unplayed.

Streaming isn't an option for me right now even if I wanted to. I can just imagine the uproar if streaming happened when I started playing MGLs. I had people ripping me a new a***hole for perceived hints. All hell would be breaking loose. Times have changed though by the looks of it.

Save states, pausing and continues? All I can say is go read the Space Chaser thread back in MGL 16. My lowest point in competitive gaming.

What Rat said. 4 most voted and 4 random choice, alternating.

I prefer contests that have some unknown games, it keeps things interesting. Also just because a game is unknown, doesnt mean it sucks. Look what happened with Jumping Jack.

Ill fess up and admit I watch replays from time to time. I never use save states or pause or continues. This is why I submit on Retro Uprising. "Continue" should be added to the official list of swear words

I also play a shit-load of the games in question and learn a lot myself. Just watch my stream.

As for streaming, Ill always do it. Its not about the games, but the community part of it. People stop in and we have a yarn about everything but the game, its great. And to be honest, you wont learn a hell of a lot by watching me play anyway.

If streaming is outlawed for this comp, I wont argue.

• Super Moderator

Continues have always been a no no.

TG Dips are a no for me. I play MGL for shits and giggles, if the MAME defaults are the same as TG then great, otherwise meh.

Ill go along with

Nominating 5 games secretly

8 games to be played, each for a fortnight overlapping (as always)

4 games most popular by nomination

4 by random selection of the rest of the unsuccessful nominations. This good to help more obscure but still great games get up

Alternate week for popular and random, Keep the most popular game for last.

Leave all the tips, youtube links, streaming etc until week two. I like being frustrated trying to figure out a game (for a week anyway) and I like watching the live streams, so dont get rid of them

Keep the mystery prize for participation. Why don't those who can throw something in the prize bag to help OOO along.

Just to clarify my stance on Continues - the games are too be played exactly as they were in the arcade - some games had continues and others didn't - if a game has continues then IMO you should be able to use them to advance your game play - just as you could in the arcade. This is how it was explained to me when I first started playing MGL's. Continues however are not allowed on a submitted score, it must be a single coin played from the very beginning of the game.

If we want to outlaw this, then I'm happy to go with the majority - if everyone says continues for practice isn't okay, then I'm fine with that. If we do go down this track, then I think we should also outlaw playing multiple games without resetting the game/ROM. It's a well known fact that certain games play differently after the first credit.

Just to clarify my stance on Continues - the games are too be played exactly as they were in the arcade - some games had continues and others didn't - if a game has continues then IMO you should be able to use them to advance your game play - just as you could in the arcade. This is how it was explained to me when I first started playing MGL's. Continues however are not allowed on a submitted score, it must be a single coin played from the very beginning of the game.

If we want to outlaw this, then I'm happy to go with the majority - if everyone says continues for practice isn't okay, then I'm fine with that. If we do go down this track, then I think we should also outlaw playing multiple games without resetting the game/ROM. It's a well known fact that certain games play differently after the first credit.

My 2 cents worth on continues. For the most part using them for practice shouldn't be an issue. We all could do it in the arcade back in the day. 90% of the time it shouldn't be an issue for submissions because most games reset your score to 0 if you continue.

Notable exceptions from memory:

Twin Cobra (score stays the same)

Aero Fighters (adds a 1 for each continue)

I know there's more but I'm off work and slightly pissed. :40s::40s:

.... It's a well known fact that certain games play differently after the first credit.

John, any more details on this? Just for my interest. I recall asking a few MGLs ago why most people reset for each game - I tended to leave mine running to preserve HS tables. BITD was it common to switch machine off to get first coin game?

News to me, we never turned games off to get first game BITD, I assume it only affects newer games and not 80's classics? but yes interesting and i would like to know more.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer default dips because that is what all mine are set to and it means I don't need to check and change them, it's also what most cabs I played were set to BITD. If TG ever becomes worth visiting again I might play some games at TG settings sometimes, but I prefer default for the MGL, that said I would still play MGL if TG settings were decided it's not a big deal for me just a preference.

I agree with Foot about the "no clues first week" I enjoyed that when we stuck by it, but it seems we have moved on from that rule. Rules are fluid here with what the majority and the organizer(s) want, and it now seems that looking at YouTube and Marp will be allowed during competition. that kind of makes the no clues or tips first week irrelevant as I assume some people will be going straight to these resources as soon as a game is announced to see how to play before even firing the game up. If that's the way people want it then that's fine I will just get used to it, problem for me is there are certain games that I hope to one day complete "by myself" without watching videos, if others are smashing me in the MGL using videos and tips/guides then i will be tempted to try to keep up, but that is my personal dilemma :unsure