Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 20 - Nominate your games by PM ONLY ...

Well it’s been 19 x MGLs (not counting the mini-comps) and here we are, a major milestone in MGL history …

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL20_Title_zpsf29bd9f2.png

I hope everyone had a great break over Christmas and New Year and is now fired up for the video game maelstrom that is about to come ...

MGL 20 will kick off on Friday 31-Jan-2014 and the first game will be posted and start by 7pm. Then it's GAME ON!

Settings for MGL 20:

1. Default DIP switches will be posted for every game.

2. There will be 8 games, each running for 16 days. Game 2 will be announced one week after game 1 starts, so this is a 9 week competition.

Games start by 7pm on a Friday and finish the following Sunday week at 7pm. This provides three full weekends of play per game!

3. Points scoring will be the percentage system and everyone who submits a score will receive points.

Rules for nominating your games:

1. MGL 20 will be a hidden favourites competition.

2. Every player can nominate up to 5 different games.

3. PLEASE DO NOT NOMINATE YOUR GAMES IN HERE OR PUBLICLY - To nominate your games you need to send a private message (PM) to the MGL organiser (OOO for MGL20) with your nominations.

After you send your PM, you cannot change your nominations.

4. Each game you nominate counts as one vote. You cannot give 2 or more votes to one game.

5. After nominations close, the 8 games with the most votes will be played. In case of a tie of votes, the game will be randomly selected from that tie group.

For example, 20 players nominate 5 different games each via PM to the MGL organiser.

After putting all votes together, 1 game has three votes, 4 games have 2 votes and this means 89 games have 1 vote.

As 5 of the 8 games are already decided, 3 games will be randomly chosen from the 89 games to make up the final 8.

6.After nominations are closed, the 8 games to be played will not be made public immediately.

The games will be made public "one at a time" for every game to be released each Friday by 7pm.

In this way no player will know what games were selected and even what games they will be selected from, other than the 5 games they nominated.

So this a great hidden favourites tournament and everyone will enjoy playing each game as best as they can, not knowing what is coming up next.

7. The following games are excluded from your nominations. All games are out that were played within the last 2 years. There are 100s of other great games left to choose from.

Excluded games:

1942, 10 Yard Fight, Aliens, Amidar, Anteater, Bosconian, Bubble Bobble, Bump n Jump, Burger Time, Crazy Kong, Dig Dug, Do Don Pachi, Double Dragon, Eagle, Elevator Action, Exzisus, Fantasy Zone, Fly Boy, Frogger, Galaga, Galaxian, Ghosts n Goblins, Grobda, Gyruss, Hyper Olympics, Ladybug, Lunar Rescue, Mario Bros, Momoko 120%, Moon Patrol, Mr Do, Ms Pacman, New Rally X, Pac n Pal, Pac-Man, Pacmania, Pandora's Palace, Pooyan, Popeye, Road Fighter, Roc n Rope, R-Type, Rygar, Scramble, Snow Bros, Solar Quest, Space Chaser, Star Force, Time Pilot, Turtles, Tutankham, Uniwar S, Valtric, Wonder Boy, Xaind Sleena, Xevious, Zookeeper.

8. No bootlegs/clones of excluded games are allowed. (e.g. Pac n Pal is the same as Pac-Man and Chomp Chomp). If in doubt, nominate your game and it will be reviewed to determine if it is valid.

9. Games must be playable on a standard cabinet - 1 joystick and 3 buttons maximum. Trackball games are out.

10. Game continues are not allowed for score submissions. Please only play a single game from the beginning if you want to submit a score.

11. Please nominate with the following in mind:

It should be a game you love to play.

You do not have to nominate to play in the MGL.

However if you nominate you play, please don’t nominate if you won’t play.

Everyone at AA is welcome to play in the MGL, the more the merrier … :)

12. I will release the games in increasing order of votes where possible, however I will rearrange the order to prevent 2 shooters being back to back (like Galaga then Phoenix), or 2 similar maze games being back to back (like Ladybug then Turtles). Sometimes I will not be able to prevent this from happening with what is selected to play.

13. Nominations close Thursday 30-Jan-2014 at 10pm.

14. At the end of the MGL, I will post all the nominations made by members so you can see which games were in the pool of games.

Check KLOV.com, lookup MAME, find your passions and nominate away by PM.

Mystery Prize:

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/200px-Question_Block_NSMB_zps115d58ff.png

At the end of the MGL, all players that played every game in the MGL will be in a mystery prize draw.

I am donating the prize and one player will win the prize, drawn by chance - "out of a hat".

I will post the name of the winner of the prize and contact them by PM so I can get their address to send the prize to them.

The small value prize (arcade related) will be revealed at the end of the MGL.

Previous winners of the mystery prize are eligible if they play all 8 games.

MGL 20 nominations are now open ... let’s go … :)

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGL20_Final_zpsf4b027cf.png

PS1: And here are the trophies for MGL 20 ... what more appropriate trophies can you have for this grand 20th MGL, other than the massive video game craze hit "det, det, det, det ..." Space Invaders.

1st

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXX_Champion_25mm_zpsdafcf7e9.png

2nd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXX_2nd_25mm_zpsbd393b97.png

3rd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/MGLXX_3rd_25mm_zps53e47f8b.png

Edited by OOO

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Overnight and into the early hours of this morning on Australia Day (I love public holidays),

Fire_Power, virtualgaz, Nicko9 (formerly nicko71) and kane submit their interesting nominations ... :041:

What games will be played in MGL 20?

We'll see as every vote counts ...

:)

Foot, Monojoker and Skarn have put in their nominations tonight.

Very interesting game selections they are ...

Great to see Skarn join in again since he last played in MGL 17 and Monojoker since MGL 18.

We also have sairuk returning from MGL 1 - one of the founding players of the MGL and good news!

This 20th MGL is going to be a lot of fun.

:jump:

Can OOO or one of the mods update the rules please? here http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/607-RULES-FAQ-s-etc seems it's a bit outdated. I think as there have been new players turn up and we did have a rules issue in the mini comp (that personally I thought was obvious, but then again I have been playing ages) that it would be good to have a link to the rules pinned to the first page of each new MGL and each new games started.

I don't want this to turn into a big job for anyone, and I think most of the stated rules are OK, just a few are outdated and should be able to be updated with little or no debate from players.

BUT there is one RULE CHANGE that I would like to suggest to see if it is popular or not. Personally I would like to see a relaxation of the PAUSE RULE.

For the following reasons I think pausing could be OK in our MGLs.

1. We are not and never will be recognized scores in the wider community.

2. Pausing usually is of no advantage in actual gameplay (If it is in a particular game we can say it's not allowed for that one)

3. Most of us are family people playing at home with distractions such as the phone, tea time and kids wanting something.

I think people should still try to play without pausing and keep play real as it was BITD, but if a pause was used because of the distractions of life it could be stated in the score posting and accepted as being OK, or not OK depending on the game.

So I don't think this relaxation would over complicate things, and would be inline with the relaxed trusting atmosphere of MGLs.

What do others think? I will put up POLL TO VOTE and discuss so this thread doesn't get bogged down with discussion about it :D

Posted POLL HERE http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/64072-Proposed-relaxing-of-the-PAUSE-rule

Great to see MGL back again for it's 20th iteration! Just out of interest Donkey Kong isn't in the banned list? Now I don't claim to know why games are in that list but would assume it was due to being included in recent MGLs - wasn't DK in MGL 17/18? I haven't nominated it (and am crap at it LOL) but just wondering... Possibly it's been a long time since it was in an MGL and I just remember the frustration of that bloody 100m level 3rd time through ROFL.

Can OOO or one of the mods update the rules please? here http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/607-RULES-FAQ-s-etc seems it's a bit outdated. I think as there have been new players turn up and we did have a rules issue in the mini comp (that personally I thought was obvious, but then again I have been playing ages) that it would be good to have a link to the rules pinned to the first page of each new MGL and each new games started.

I don't want this to turn into a big job for anyone, and I think most of the stated rules are OK, just a few are outdated and should be able to be updated with little or no debate from players.

Hey Rat, I've done a quick "update" of the thread. If OOO doesn't get around to it shortly, I'll place a link in his first post (of this thread) linking to the rules. Can you, and everyone else for that matter have a quick read of the rules with my changes and post back here if I've left anything out, written something that is wrong or if you don't understand what I've typed.

Cheers

Great to see MGL back again for it's 20th iteration!
Yes it's great to see it has been going for 8 years now and hopefully we can get more playing for this big one.

Just out of interest Donkey Kong isn't in the banned list? Now I don't claim to know why games are in that list but would assume it was due to being included in recent MGLs - wasn't

DK in MGL 17/18? I haven't nominated it (and am crap at it LOL) but just wondering... Possibly it's been a long time since it was in an MGL and I just remember the frustration of that bloody 100m level 3rd time

through ROFL.

Good pickup but DK has not been played since MGL 9 in 2009. Yes it was played in the Kong Offs, but I excluded the Kong Offs since as you can see almost no one nominates the game anyway in the MGL.

"100m level 3rd time through", talk to kane - he is very good at this game.

RE: The Donkey Kong issue, I was going to make mention of this also. We have in recent years held our very own "Kong Off" and that has pretty much put an end to anyone nominating the game. I haven't spoken to OOO about his intentions or thoughts on whether we should run the Kong Off again. My personal take on the matter is that it is getting somewhat stale, so at the risk of getting slightly off topic, perhaps if enough people are interested in competing in a dedicated "Kong Off - The King of AA" again this year, please PM myself or OOO. If enough people are up for it, it can be arranged for some stage this year again in between MGL tournaments.

Hey Rat, I've done a quick "update" of the thread. If OOO doesn't get around to it shortly, I'll place a link in his first post (of this thread) linking to the rules. Can you, and everyone else for that matter have a quick read of the rules with my changes and post back here if I've left anything out, written something that is wrong or if you don't understand what I've typed.

Cheers

Looks good to me, thanks John :)

Dear camaro, @camaro

Thanks for the nominations.

Your mailbox is full and I need to send you the message below.

Fly-Boy is in the excluded list. Do you want to pick another game? Please send me a PM after you make some room in your mailbox.

PS: I like your Galaxian winners marquee and you really played that game well in the last MGL.

Just received nominations from Pelly, Rat, azathoth and camaro.

All games are not decided yet, a vote here or there will determine the final 8 ...

24 hours till nominations close at 10pm tomorrow night (Thursday 30-Jan-2014).

:D

OK it's 6.30pm on Thursday ...

Barra, DKong and chrisbo have sent in their nominations and we now have 79 different games in the pool.

All of you guys who have put in nominations so far have created such a great pool of games, that this MGL will be known for playing such a vast variety of different types of video games. :cool:

Yet not all games are final ... 3.5 hours to go until nominations close.

PS: wolfman24 all the way from Pennsylvania sent me a PM and he will be joining us again for this milestone MGL.