Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 19 - Call for ideas ...

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGL19_Alternate_zpsafeaa2ff.png

Great MGLers :sm1:,

MGL19 starts on Friday 13/9/2013.

The MGL is now in its 7th year and the tradition of fun gaming will continue.

However before we start, I would like your feedback on how we can make this another great MGL.

I have a few questions below asking you what you would like to do ...

1. In MGL18 we used the percentage scoring system. Before that it was the Motor GP system (25 for 1st, 20 for 2nd etc.)

Should we go the percentage system again or go back to the Motor GP system?

2. The last MGL was 8 games over 9 weeks. Do you want to play 8 games again or do we drop or add a game, ie 7 or 9 games?

I do recall in the last two MGLs that the last game was the lowest participation (replies and views) of the tournament. In the last MGL the last game was Moon Patrol, which in the past has been a popular game to play, but had the lowest participation of all the games played.

On the other hand, there won't be enough time to run another MGL this year so you might want to extend by one game and finish on 24/11 instead of 17/11.

3. For MGL 19 do you want to play?

a. Games that were not played in the last 2 years OR

b. Play favourites like in MGL18 (games played in MGL18 cannot be nominated again and one vote for each game only)

Please post your feedback in this thread by this Sunday 7pm (8/9).

Using your feedback, I will then open the nominations thread by 7pm on Monday night (9/9) with all the rules and you will have until 10pm Thursday (12/9) to nominate your games.

On Black Friday the games begin.

Any questions or thoughts, just post in this thread.

Thanks

:)

PS1: There will be a mystery prize to be won by a lucky MGLer in MGL19. And it's not for winning MGL19 either.

I am donating the prize and I will provide more details in the nominations thread on Monday night.

PS2: A great THANKS to John73 for running the last few MGLs. I hope he has time to pop in and post some amazing scores every now and again. :026:

PS3: The MGL 19 banner commemorates one of the first 3D 'look' video games in Zaxxon from Sega. It was a big hit on its release in 1982.

A weird space sounds game with a deadly fortress and a mighty robot, and it has not been played in a MGL for over 4 years. (Anyone willing to nominate Zaxxon?)

PS4: And here are the trophies for MGL 19, that damned evil 3D robot from Zaxxon - a worthy trophy for the MGL.

1st

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLXIX_Champion_25mm_zps87653ea5.png

2nd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLXIX_2nd_25mm_zpsabbe8722.png

3rd

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l500/sno-bee/Arcade/MGLXIX_3rd_25mm_zps008478e2.png

For this type of competition where the games are released one-by-one I like the percentage system better.

In other contests where games are releasesd all at once, the percentage system makes some games more important to focus on than others, but here it is not the case as you have no idea what is up next so every game is as important as the next!

Favourites is always fun. Another idea is doing a "crap-a-thon" type competition, where only obscure games no one has ever played nor heard of are picked :P

Having three different games to play over the weekend is the best part of the MGL. Games start Friday afternoon and end Sunday night two weeks later.

The percentage system works ok, but I play just for fun ;)

Having x number of votes to spend how you want is a good idea too, at the end of the MGL revealing the list of games that everyone voted on was a good 'games that I should play one day' list.

If you wanted more obscure games, maybe exclude not only the actual games that were played in the last MGL, but also exclude any game that was voted for?

Also if you could only overlap games that have the same number of vertical lines so I don't have to adjust my screen between games, that would be great :)

As being a veteran of one comp, ok, newbie..

I haven't tried any of the old style comps.

I liked the percent system, but if you're a gun at one game, you can move up the table incredibly quick, but for me, I'm not worried about that. I'm not good enough at games to really change so consider myself as an also ran, but participated because its fun.

As to what games are available, maybe games that have two runs in the previous 5 rounds are not available? I'm not sure what the stats are on that, the issue with obscure games is some people won't play them.

I do like the randomness where you can have multiple votes, but not sure if being able to put all your votes in one basket.

Maybe you get 6 votes, and you must pick 3 games minimum? That way you could decide to give 1 game 4 votes, and 1 and 1, or you could do 2/2/2. Or any other combination.

I like the idea of acknowledging the also rans, the ones that complete all the games but didn't get a win etc, but to participated in all 8 games is a victory in its own mind.

I do wonder if 8 games is too many, but I do like the overlap style, it does mean when you have a game you don't really like you still have another game you can play worth something.

• Administrators

I love the game overlap so that has to stay. I'm also a fan of the percentage system. It actively encourages you to try for better scores. The other system does not. Someone is a gun at a game and is miles in front so you don't bother as you won't get extra points. The percentage system rewards continued gameplay for better points.

As for voting, I'm not too fussed. The idea of "never heard of" games is good but it's a blurry line for many. For instance I know of at least 2 guys on this forum who are mad for Psychic 5 yet I'd never heard of it before? Is is a rare unheard of game? For many no, for me yes.

Brad

• Super Moderator

8 games - just right if you ask me. Leave late Nov/ Xmas for special 1 off games, luck Puck off/ DK/ or another

Over lap is a must. New games on friday was cool too, all running to Sunday

I liked the voting for the games instead of random pick from peoples nominations, but did not like the multiple votes per game

Quite happy to go with favourites again (but some peoples favourites can be obscure, or others most hated (Wardner ggrrrr), but they cant have been played in the last two years

Or maybe try a manufactuers MGL where we vote on a manufactuer and random games are plucked from their catalouge each week? (I have put no thought into this)

Firstly, a big thanks to OOO for offering and taking over the reins of MGL. I will of course keep playing MGL and helping out (scoreboard updates etc.) when possible, but other than that I'd take a back seat and try to play a bit more than I have in the last couple of MGL's.

My input for the questions:

I like the 8 game/overlap format and I think it works well. People do tend to drop off towards then end, but this would be the same if we played 6 games I'd imagine :unsure Maybe it's because people get to a point where they know they can't win or place in the final results - who knows.

I'm the same as Foot, I think the starting of each game on a Friday night works a lot better than a Sunday. Sunday night people are thinking about getting back to work, and a lot of guys don't have a chance to pick up the game until the following Friday night or Saturday.

As for the scoring system, I am a fan of the percentage based system. It's a bit more work to maintain though.

The game selection/nomination process is always going to be a troublesome issue - some don't like playing the all time favorites, some hate playing new games (new learning curve puts them out of many games unless you've played the game a lot or watched others play it), some hate shooters, some hate maze based. Trouble with excluding games for say the last two years, is that we've had so many new guys join in the last two years that they may not be able to nominate or play one of their favorite games just because of the old timers (of which I guess I am now a member) have played them 18 months ago. So in short, I'm of absolutely no help on this issue :)

And lastly, there is a Robot in Zaxxon? Shows how good I am at that game.

Good luck OOO, I'm sure MGL 19 will be great whatever you/we decide.

Happy with any format and thanks to all that help run the mgl. Just a suggestion (and only cos its all I have at the moment) how about a 60 in 1 challenge? Randomly selected games might get some new guys interested as its probably the most common board that guys would have in their cabs. Just an idea.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Happy with any format and thanks to all that help run the mgl. Just a suggestion (and only cos its all I have at the moment) how about a 60 in 1 challenge? Randomly selected games might get some new guys interested as its probably the most common board that guys would have in their cabs. Just an idea.

That's not a bad idea, must run off to see what games are on the 60-1, guessing they are mainly pretty popular/mainstream games.

EDIT: Just having a look now - scrap that idea, Crush Roller is on 60 in 1 boards and we don't want that game coming up :lol Sorry to derail, just needed to start the Crush V Turtles debate again :)

That's not a bad idea, must run off to see what games are on the 60-1, guessing they are mainly pretty popular/mainstream games.

EDIT: Just having a look now - scrap that idea, Crush Roller is on 60 in 1 boards and we don't want that game coming up :lol Sorry to derail, just needed to start the Crush V Turtles debate again :)

Well make it 59 in 1 ;)

Like the percentage format for scoring. As for games restrictions on those played in recent mgl's works but as for voting only 1 vote per game nominated.

Anyhow whatever is decided thanks to those who organize it and update scoreboards.

Made me get off my butt and do some work on cab shells I have been looking at doing something with for ages

Like the percentage format for scoring. As for games restrictions on those played in recent mgl's works but as for voting only 1 vote per game nominated.

Anyhow whatever is decided thanks to those who organize it and update scoreboards.

Made me get off my butt and do some work on cab shells I have been looking at doing something with for ages

Thanks for the feedback.

How are the cab shells going?

What will the machines end up being?

I like the idea of acknowledging the also rans, the ones that complete all the games but didn't get a win etc, but to participated in all 8 games is a victory in its own mind.

Thanks Binkles. Agree with you. The idea of the MGL is to have fun and play the best you can, so your post is spot on right for all to enjoy.

Besides, if you keep playing, you can only get better with new PBs, and that's a win too.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to derail, just needed to start the Crush V Turtles debate again :)

No matter whether we play favourites again or pick outside the last 2 years, because Turtles was played in favourites of MGL 18, Turtles is out. :cry

Now the Roller ... let me see ... hmmmm ... is eligible to be nominated under both schemes.

• Administrators
Now the Roller ... let me see ... hmmmm ... is eligible to be nominated under both schemes.

Hell I'd vote crush roller not only because it's on my list of favourites but for making me play turtles again. You buggers deserve it.

Brad

• Super Moderator

Crush Roller Rules!

We did try a Participation sort of thing during a few MGL's. It was a mid week bonus where points were given for posting by the fist Wednesday of any given game.

That didnt work too well as we just got monstred by big arse WARNDER scores by the first Wednesday and then had to choke on it for the rest of the week.

Although, there was a bit of snipping going on with seeing who could post the last high score prior to the mid week cut off

The Friday to Sunday overlap is great. I like the idea of unknown games being exposed so restricting past runners in some ways sounds good. How about alternate games that can not have ever been played in MGL, so it would go new gem / classic/ new gem / classic etc. Voting was good but five votes to one game seemed a bit lame to me - maybe like Binkles suggested in post #4 . The percentage scoring system is demonstrably better in all regards except being more cumbersome for the scorer - the reality is it doesn't change positions, just makes it more interesting. The good players will still win, everyone should have fun and enjoy it, I know that every game I've played in MGL I have got better at. Thanks John for running the last few, good on you OOO for stepping up.

Crush Roller and Turtles are both great games - let's share the lurve :)

Voting was good but five votes to one game seemed a bit lame to me - maybe like Binkles suggested in post

The last voting system used was thrown together rather hastily, on reflection, with this style of voting it probably should have been something like what Binkles suggested or vote 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for your 5 games maybe.

Maybe MGL19 voting should be based on the Senate - 82 Games, and 82 boxes to fill out in order :lol

I know that every game I've played in MGL I have got better at.

That's great that you have improved your game play and I think everyone elses game play is also improving with each MGL.

I have to say, and you may throw rocks at me, improving your play is a lot of fun and just takes practice. The higher scores come with it.

And you will all find, that the games you like and keep playing, you will get really good at. Nice!

Hit The Rocks in Sydney city today for lunch, a grilled chicken burger with fries and a cold Guinness at Australia's oldest Irish pub, the

Mercantile Hotel. Anyway, just got back and it's past 7pm ...

... Thanks for your feedback fellas.

The majority would like the percentage system of scoring. OK so everyone gets points.

It seems like 8 games is the go, so no change there.

People like the Friday game start and finish over three weekends on the Sunday. Weekly Friday release of games. Shall do.

Favourites comp. is what you guys want, and these are hidden favourites. PM nominations sent to me and games released one at a time. OK

I'll open the nominations thread by tomorrow night 7pm. This will have the rules and a place for you guys to discuss games.

Please read the nominations thread with the rules before you nominate.

(I will clear my mailbox so I can receive your PMs)

MGL19 starts in 5 days ...

:)

I originally posted this in a PM to OOO Friday night and part of the reply was to post it here.

As it turns out what I was in favour of is the same as the majority so that's a good thing.

So here's my unedited PM to OOO. Part of his reply was to post it here but that was 2 days ago. Better late than never.

"Happy with the current format. 8 games with the 3 day overlap worked well. I like the percentage based scoring but that is probably due to too many TG and Funspot comps using that system. It did work well in MGL 18 though.

As for game selection this time around I'm probably going to sit back and see what comes up. After 5 wins in a row I really need to back it off a bit. I'll still compete but I'm scared that a 6th win may kill off MGL. I don't need that hanging over my head."

I won't post the reply but it was very much in favour of me playing on and did contain an observation that I really do need to take on board and will try to do so.

So for my sins I guess I must play Crush Roller for the next 8 weeks. You get a lesser sentence for murder these days. :lol