MGL 19 - Call for ideas ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crush Roller Rules!

We did try a Participation sort of thing during a few MGL's. It was a mid week bonus where points were given for posting by the fist Wednesday of any given game.

That didnt work too well as we just got monstred by big arse WARNDER scores by the first Wednesday and then had to choke on it for the rest of the week.

Although, there was a bit of snipping going on with seeing who could post the last high score prior to the mid week cut off
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

The Friday to Sunday overlap is great. I like the idea of unknown games being exposed so restricting past runners in some ways sounds good. How about alternate games that can not have ever been played in MGL, so it would go new gem / classic/ new gem / classic etc. Voting was good but five votes to one game seemed a bit lame to me - maybe like Binkles suggested in post #4 . The percentage scoring system is demonstrably better in all regards except being more cumbersome for the scorer - the reality is it doesn't change positions, just makes it more interesting. The good players will still win, everyone should have fun and enjoy it, I know that every game I've played in MGL I have got better at. Thanks John for running the last few, good on you OOO for stepping up.

Crush Roller and Turtles are both great games - let's share the lurve

Comment

I'm afraid to play crush and turtles, actually no..

I want my time back that I wasted on turtles....

May have to crank up crush on the cocktail today to see what it's like...

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
          Voting was good but five votes to one game seemed a bit lame to me - maybe like Binkles suggested in post
          The last voting system used was thrown together rather hastily, on reflection, with this style of voting it probably should have been something like what Binkles suggested or vote 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 for your 5 games maybe.

Maybe MGL19 voting should be based on the Senate - 82 Games, and 82 boxes to fill out in order

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
            I know that every game I've played in MGL I have got better at.
            That's great that you have improved your game play and I think everyone elses game play is also improving with each MGL.
            I have to say, and you may throw rocks at me, improving your play is a lot of fun and just takes practice. The higher scores come with it.
            And you will all find, that the games you like and keep playing, you will get really good at. Nice!

Ask your friends to play in MGLXLII. Don't procrastinate, participate ...

Comment

Hit The Rocks in Sydney city today for lunch, a grilled chicken burger with fries and a cold Guinness at Australia's oldest Irish pub, the
              Mercantile Hotel. Anyway, just got back and it's past 7pm ...

... Thanks for your feedback fellas.
              The majority would like the percentage system of scoring. OK so everyone gets points.
              It seems like 8 games is the go, so no change there.
              People like the Friday game start and finish over three weekends on the Sunday. Weekly Friday release of games. Shall do.
              Favourites comp. is what you guys want, and these are hidden favourites. PM nominations sent to me and games released one at a time. OK

I'll open the nominations thread by tomorrow night 7pm. This will have the rules and a place for you guys to discuss games.
              Please read the nominations thread with the rules before you nominate.
              (I will clear my mailbox so I can receive your PMs)
              MGL19 starts in 5 days ...

Comment

Sounds good!

Cant we just play both Crush roller and Wardner?

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

Comment

Originally posted by Barra View Post
                  Sounds good!

Cant we just play both Crush roller and Wardner?
                  I bleed from the eyeballs when I play Crush Roller - it's not fair to subject me to that game

Comment

Haha. My old man is a wizz on that game. Scored around 700k once.

Comment

I originally posted this in a PM to OOO Friday night and part of the reply was to post it here.

As it turns out what I was in favour of is the same as the majority so that's a good thing.

So here's my unedited PM to OOO. Part of his reply was to post it here but that was 2 days ago. Better late than never.

"Happy with the current format. 8 games with the 3 day overlap worked well. I like the percentage based scoring but that is probably due to too many TG and Funspot comps using that system. It did work well in MGL 18 though.

As for game selection this time around I'm probably going to sit back and see what comes up. After 5 wins in a row I really need to back it off a bit. I'll still compete but I'm scared that a 6th win may kill off MGL. I don't need that hanging over my head."

I won't post the reply but it was very much in favour of me playing on and did contain an observation that I really do need to take on board and will try to do so.

So for my sins I guess I must play Crush Roller for the next 8 weeks. You get a lesser sentence for murder these days.

Comment

Originally posted by RMacauley View Post
                        As it turns out what I was in favour of is the same as the majority so that's a good thing.... it was very much in favour of me playing ...
                        So for my sins I guess I must play Crush Roller for the next 8 weeks. You get a lesser sentence for murder these days.
                        Rob it's great to have you playing in the MGL, it's for everyone to enjoy.
                        Here we go ... should be fun!

PS: Crush Roller for 8 weeks, I don't think anyone could handle that ...

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. My old man is a wizz on that game. Scored around 700k once.
                        So that's where your Galaga skills came from? Inheritance through biology, or was that from your mum's side ...

Comment

Originally posted by OOO View Post
                          Crush Roller for 8 weeks, I don't think anyone could handle that ...
                          I might need a few pints of Guinness before each gaming session to dull the pain that is Crush Roller. But you do what you've got to do I guess.

Comment

[MENTION=3481]Rob[/MENTION] - Its not just about the winning, you shouldnt be worried of it turning people away. The contests are designed (well should be) for people to have fun.
                            [MENTION=9067]OOO[/MENTION] he scores around 150k on galaga. I just practiced a lot . Am I good at crush roller?? Big fat NO! hehe

Comment

[MENTION=3481]Rob[/MENTION] - Its not just about the winning, you shouldnt be worried of it turning people away. The contests are designed (well should be) for people to have fun.
                              [MENTION=9067]OOO[/MENTION] he scores around 150k on galaga. I just practiced a lot . Am I good at crush roller?? Big fat NO! hehe
                              I've always been in MGL for fun but there have been a few dramas along the way.

My Dad will still boast about having the highest score on the 1st pinball we owned which was sold 25 years ago.

One of his mates scored 136K on our Gottlieb Golden Arrow which held up for a long time. I finally beat it with 156K only for my Dad to get 181K a few weeks later. Nobody ever got close to that score before we sold the game (against my wishes). To this day he'll still say if pinball scores come up "Who had the high score on Golden Arrow?" A few years later He almost rolled our next pinball a Bally Supersonic. He had a high 900K game. Then again I watched my Mum get 912K on Supersonic. She looked up, saw the score and choked. But for looking at the score I'm guessing a rollover would've happened.

Parents on games.

Comment

Personally I don't give a rats who wins, congrats to whoever does.

More people started playing golf when tiger was winning.

More people took up tennis when Layton started winning.

Part of that is the glory of beating the champion.

The whole point of this is to have fun, and I'm sorry, but if anyone doesn't want to play it because they're afraid their results will kill the competition, I hope they get set straight.

20 odd people playing means..... 19 don't win. I think I finished 20th out of 22 and played more games during the competition than I have played since.

I'm here for playing with a reason, having fun, trying different games and being in awe of the champions.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                                Working...
                                X