Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 17 Game 7 - Crazy Kong [WEEK 2]

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

Crazy Kong (Part II)

[/TD]

[TD]

MGL 17 Game 7

[/TD]

[TD]

Nominated by: John73

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210129.png[/TD]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210124.jpg[/TD]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/118124210131.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Game Settings

ROM Name:

If you are using MAME 0.138u3 or newer, the rom is named ckongpt2.zip

If you are using MAME 0.138u2 or older, the rom is named ckong.zip

DIP Switches:

Lives: 3

Bonus: 10k

Special Rules: Use of stage skip cheats are forbidden.

Note: These are not the default DIP settings, we are going to play this using TG settings as there is very little different, default DIP's give you an extra jumpman at 7k. This will not change anything, you will need to score over 10k to win this one anyway :D

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Sound: Unamplified Mono (one channel)

Controls:

Joystick - 4 Way

Buttons - 1 [Jump]

Game Introduction

That crazy monkey has carried off your girlfriend. You've got to climb ladders, ride elevators and not get hit by barrels, fireballs and mudpans while trying to reach the top of the screen and rescue your girlfriend.

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Crazy Kong comp closes Sunday 7PM AEDST March 24th.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck :cool:

Final Standings

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Kane[/TD]

[TD]595,300[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]559,900[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]416,800[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]344,800[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Pelly[/TD]

[TD]281,500[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]MameShane[/TD]

[TD]234,700[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]Nicko71[/TD]

[TD]207,900[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]MonoJoker[/TD]

[TD]127,000[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]112,100[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Foot[/TD]

[TD]69,700[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]azathoth[/TD]

[TD]66,600[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]Brad[/TD]

[TD]65,400[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by John73
Updated scores to final standings

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wonder if Kane will make an appearance and blow everyone away :)

I might have a game or two... :D

ROM Name: ckong.zip

Remember this rom had a name change -

I might have a game or two... :D

Remember this rom had a name change -

Hmm... I'm using Wolf .106 so I would still use ckong.zip? are the games identical for the different ROM's? I'll make the ROM name changes in the first thread - thanks for the reminder.

btw Kane, did you know there is a DK wild card event open to all next Saturday? Cash prizes which you are more that capable of claiming. Shoot us a PM if you're interested, I think I made a post about it in the arcade section.

Some scores from TG for those interested:

6 605,600 Kane Mawhinney 2011-04-24

18 370,200 John McNeill 2012-01-19

24 301,500 Robert Macauley 2005-07-31

Edited by John73

Hmm... I'm using Wolf .106 so I would still use ckong.zip? are the games identical for the different ROM's? I'll make the ROM name changes in the first thread - thanks for the reminder.

The ROM is the same, just named differently. So if you run ckong.zip in a new version of MAME, you'll get the Part One version. It's easy to tell the difference though as the colours won't match the screenshots in your first post.

btw Kane, did you know there is a DK wild card event open to all next Saturday? Cash prizes which you are more that capable of claiming. Shoot us a PM if you're interested, I think I made a post about it in the arcade section.

I don't have any webcams or twitch accounts so I wont be in for that.

ckon0001.png.a0b1af73dfe9fd070535ec9ad1e6f19a.png

Nearly a PB on Day 1 :D

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have any webcams or twitch accounts so I wont be in for that.

Webcam not needed as you can stream your screen only using software such as XSplit and Twitch accounts are free. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know in case you were interested :)

is there a safe way to get the top hammer on the barrel stage? seems like there's a big that causes me to fall to the bottom of the level every time I try..

AFAIK - the short answer is "no", long answer it is possible to get the top hammer, I've only ever managed it once. Apparently (from another forum) the top players don't even bother since the risk v reward is just not there as it is in Donkey Kong.

ED_209_89400.thumb.jpg.92d147f4508f43354f09ece1c7c25b60.jpg

Thats a pb for me. I havent played this much though. A few players here will obviously kick ass at this but, like DK, its got such a slow learning curve that anybody who doesnt know it well will struggle to get far in only 2 weeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48513[/ATTACH]

Thats a pb for me. I havent played this much though. A few players here will obviously kick ass at this but, like DK, its got such a slow learning curve that anybody who doesnt know it well will struggle to get far in only 2 weeks.

Actually the learning curve for CK is nowhere near what it is for DK IMO. If Kane doesn't post some tips after week 1, then I will. There are a couple of little "tips" that will help greatly, and the learning curve is not hard at all - hey if I can do it, then anyone can.

My PB on DK is 266K, can't remember exactly what level it was, probably around level 8 on a 3+1 man game. I managed to killscreen CK last year on a 6+1 man game with 1 life to spare - so in terms of difficulty, CK is nowhere near as bad.

Overall I would say

CK Barrel screens - easier

CK Pie Factory screens - probably slightly easier

CK Spring screens - 100% way easier

CK Rivet screens - probably about the same

Plus you've (only) got 88 screens to killscreen this game compared to the 127 in DK.

Had a game of DK about 30 mins ago, first game for a long time (like this game today) and managed 183k - so I'm still nearly 200k behind playing DK over CK.

• Super Moderator
My problem with this game is I have no tolerance for sitting there for hours doing the same thing over and over. Hell I usually end up having too much to drink waiting for the next pattern and start chasing pie instead of avoiding it

I was wondering why you didn't ask me to send the game for this week @John73 - and now I see Crazy Kong come up :lol ;)

- - - Updated - - -

My problem with this game is I have no tolerance for sitting there for hours doing the same thing over and over. Hell I usually end up having too much to drink waiting for the next pattern and start chasing pie instead of avoiding it

Yeah, meh, Crazy Kong. It's more tolerable than Donkey Kong though as it least it's a little kinder.

Actually the learning curve for CK is nowhere near what it is for DK IMO. If Kane doesn't post some tips after week 1, then I will. There are a couple of little "tips" that will help greatly, and the learning curve is not hard at all - hey if I can do it, then anyone can.

My PB on DK is 266K, can't remember exactly what level it was, probably around level 8 on a 3+1 man game. I managed to killscreen CK last year on a 6+1 man game with 1 life to spare - so in terms of difficulty, CK is nowhere near as bad.

Overall I would say

CK Barrel screens - easier

CK Pie Factory screens - probably slightly easier

CK Spring screens - 100% way easier

CK Rivet screens - probably about the same

Plus you've (only) got 88 screens to killscreen this game compared to the 127 in DK.

Had a game of DK about 30 mins ago, first game for a long time (like this game today) and managed 183k - so I'm still nearly 200k behind playing DK over CK.

Interesting. My best in DK is only 200 or so and knowing those levels definitely helps in this game but any of your tips would be appreciated. The patterns are a bit different here and collision detection seems far worse. Odd how the graphics flicker between different versions of Kong also.

Im sure I could get to know anything id need by reading through Kanes Krazy Kong Kickass Klandestine Klu Klux Klan Karate Kendo Kookaburra Khallenge but itd be great if you could post some advice here early. Any of the little differences would be good to know.

I was wondering why you didn't ask me to send the game for this week @John73 - and now I see Crazy Kong come up :lol ;)

I assure you and everyone else it was 100% legit - used Random.Org as usual, first number picked was #14 - Crazy Kong. Didn't ask you to send the next game because I couldn't get a hold of you last week and it was just as easy for to me to do it :D

- - - Updated - - -

Im sure I could get to know anything id need by reading through Kanes Krazy Kong Kickass Klandestine Klu Klux Klan Karate Kendo Kookaburra Khallenge but itd be great if you could post some advice here early. Any of the little differences would be good to know.

I don't have any problems with listing all the tips right away, but some of the guys prefer to wait at least a week before tips are given out. If no one has any objections I'll post some tips tonight. This game is a bit different to others in that it is very similar to DK which a lot of people already know, so I don't think giving out early tips is as bad as it's probably not a new game to most.

I assure you and everyone else it was 100% legit - used Random.Org as usual, first number picked was #14 - Crazy Kong. Didn't ask you to send the next game because I couldn't get a hold of you last week and it was just as easy for to me to do it :D

I know its legit....just stirring as I know how much you love the game :)

Should be good to see how high you guys can get and will help most for next kong off too. I did used to love this game bitd and kane should smash it.

Some Crazy Kong Tips #1

I'll post some tips throughout today. Kane may be able to add even more (if he wishes) since he is head and shoulders a better Crazy Kong player than me.

ckon0002.png.b27701715b31ef5de83bd3925baaea2c.png

Unlike Donkey Kong, you can climb a ladder and sit just below the girder and barrels will never* fall down on top of you. Nice safe place unless you cop a wild barrel of course.

*disclaimer: I've never had one fall on me doing this, let me know if you do :lol

My CK thread has all the tips in it, most of the Donkey Kong tips apply as far as survival goes, it's really only the pie boards you need some hints for, which is here.

thanks for the link. nice job on your multiple kill screens on the different versions.

I read the tips on the pie screens will give them ago tonight.

the pie screens were what were killing me the conveyors are so fast I would start jumping across and then pies would come out.

at 110k so far. will post a screen shot after tonight's effort.

Tip #2

For those totally new to Donkey Kong/Crazy Kong, here is the easiest/safest way to negotiate the Rivet stage. Ignore the end of the video where Jumpman is getting 100 points for jumping next to Kong as this does not work in Crazy Kong.

[video=youtube;pnc-PAVMZc0]

Submitted just for the sake of having something submitted. 2 deaths on L5 rivets, 1 on L6 rivets and 1 on L7 barrels. Rusty to say the least.

I'd try and claim jet lag but it's only a short flight from NZ so no can do. :sleep

ckong.png.c35c9c759645747f0e5aaaa1ad505c5d.png