Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 17 Game 5 - Popeye [COMPLETE]

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

Popeye (Revision D)

[/TD]

[TD]

MGL 17 Game 5

[/TD]

[TD]

Nominated by: Spartan

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/pop2_zps11fa4d5c.png[/TD]

[TD]http://www.arcade-museum.com/images/118/1181242152105.jpg[/TD]

[TD]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/pop1_zps04a1667e.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Game Settings

ROM Name: popeye.zip

DIP Switches:

Lives: 3

Bonus: 40k

Difficulty: Easy

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Multi Player

Sound: Unamplified Mono (one channel)

Controls:

Joystick - 8 Way

Buttons - 1 [punch]

Game Introduction

You play Popeye who must win the love of Olive Oyl in three different scenarios while avoiding the nasty Bluto. Your main weapon against this relentless brute is the cans of spinach that appear at the beginning of each screen. You must dodge the projectiles thrown by Bluto and the Sea Hag, as well as Bluto's punches.

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Popeye comp closes Sunday 7PM AEDST March 10th.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck :cool:

Final Placings

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]ED_209[/TD]

[TD]83,400[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]75,520[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]72,760[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]azathoth[/TD]

[TD]59,490[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Mameshane[/TD]

[TD]54,720[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]Kane[/TD]

[TD]48,700[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]39,930[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]MonoJoker[/TD]

[TD]37,730[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]Foot[/TD]

[TD]35,030[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]nicko71[/TD]

[TD]33,510[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]Brad[/TD]

[TD]27,300[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by John73
Updated scores to final standings

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hooray another game so I can continue to avoid Double Dragon!

Brad

In DD's defense, at least the babe is worth fighting for. If I was Popeye, I'd let Brutus or the Sea Hag have Olive Oye, she is not my type of cartoon woman at all :lol

In DD's defense, at least the babe is worth fighting for. If I was Popeye, I'd let Brutus or the Sea Hag have Olive Oye, she is not my type of cartoon woman at all :lol

:lol Yeah she's pretty shreiky and annoying. Certainly no Jessica Rabbit.

pope0005.png.e4b9a5fec85b49ac11995514f7981a05.png

Come on Rob or someone else, help me out early - what the hell do you do on the 3rd stage? I'm collecting the letters but it's doing noting :confused: Am I supposed to be collecting them in order, or looking for a particular coloured letter? :confused:

I think this is probably a 4-way joystick game too, I just went off what the KLOV site said, doesn't seem to be any need for 8-way.

Apologies if updates are slow this weekend, away at Bribie Island for some fishing (if the wind buggers off) and the wireless internet coverage is not flash :(

MGL 17 Game 5 - Popeye [WEEK 1]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]47891[/ATTACH]

Come on Rob or someone else, help me out early - what the hell do you do on the 3rd stage? I'm collecting the letters but it's doing noting :confused: Am I supposed to be collecting them in order, or looking for a particular coloured letter? :confused:

I think this is probably a 4-way joystick game too, I just went off what the KLOV site said, doesn't seem to be any need for 8-way.

Apologies if updates are slow this weekend, away at Bribie Island for some fishing (if the wind buggers off) and the wireless internet coverage is not flash :(

collecting the letters builds a ladder up the boat.. so u have to collect a lot.

It takes a fair few letters but I don't know exactly how many. I would post one more tip for that screen but it's too early to post tips (or perceived tips) in the first week. :p

Edit: Just checked and you have to collect 24 letters

Edited by RMacauley

Progressed further than I have ever done on this game in the past, used to run out of spinach on R2, now playing the patient game and finding it

easier to progress. In fact found out (by my own means of leaving the game running whilst I finished my Tasmanian cigarette ) if you do not move at the start of a level on your first man the only way to die is for the heart to sink,

and maybe R2 as well.

A platformer that does not follow a path:o it's a good game when you get into it, good ways to increase scores in a puzzle way. Would like to crack 100,000 on this one.