• Show
Clear All

• MGL 16 Game 2: Bosconian [FINISHED]

Bosconian
    MGL 15 Game 2
    Nominated by: Foot
    Game Settings

ROM Name: boscomd.zip

NOTE: The default DIP switches allow for continue in this game, you may use continues as you would in an arcade for practice. For your score to be eligible you MUST NOT use continues. This rule applies to ALL MGL games. To clarify - your score must be achieved using 1 credit only and starting from the beginning of the game.

DIP Switches:

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
    Maximum number of Players: 2
    Gameplay: Alternating
    Control Panel Layout: Single Player
    Controls:

Joystick: 8-way
    Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Game Introduction

This game is similar to Time Pilot and Sinistar in that your ship stays in the center of the screen. During flight, you must avoid stationary asteroids and mines. As you progress in levels, the green hexagonal enemy space stations begin to shoot missiles from their cores. When under enemy bases, enemy fighters can change direction at will.

More detailed information on Bosconian and game play can be found here: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7196

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Bosconian comp closes Sunday 7PM October 28th.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck

Final Standings

Rank
    Name Score
    MGL Points
    1 Brad 244,910 25
    2 RMacauley 181,680 20
    3 Taverner 158,560 16
    4 Pelly 139,950 13
    5 ED_209 119,590 11
    6 casperthefriendly 111,480 10
    7 Foot 108,450 9
    8 Lupin 99,940 8
    9 Jammasized 92,870 7
    10 Rat 89,740 6
    11 Taverner 81,910 5
    12 Nicko71 79,340 4
    13 Mikie 77,970 3
    14 Blontic 76,050 2
    15 MonoJoker 72,090 1
    16 kane 71,230 -
    17 DKong 63,040 -
    18 John73 61,340 -
    19 Fire_Power 26,660 -
    Last edited by John73; 28 October 2012, 09:02 PM. Reason: Updated game scores to final standings

Great game - wasn't its' claim to fame that it was the first arcade game with speech?

Anyone know the difference between this Midway version (boscomd.zip) and the orig (bosco.zip)?

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
      Great game - wasn't its' claim to fame that it was the first arcade game with speech?
      The KLOV website mentions the speech but doesn't say if it was the first arcade game with speech. To hear a game talk really was mind blowing the first time I experience it - for me it would have been in Hyper Olympics/Track & Field from memory.

Anyone know the difference between this Midway version (boscomd.zip) and the orig (bosco.zip)?
      I had a very quick look at both as I didn't know which ROM Foot was nominating, I couldn't see a difference between the two - slight difference in one dip switch but I don't believe this effects game play. My guess would be that it's just a licensing difference.

I don't think I ever played this in an Arcade, but something about the motherships that you blow up is familiar - possibly I played a port on the C64?

Comment

Hmmmm, I do remember some talk of this being the first speech, but AFSIK this title goes to Bezerk?

Yeah great game, loved Bosconian in the arcades, fun gameplay, reasonable difficulty curve and value for 20c
        Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Cool little game... Another first for me in MGL

Comment

Not sure I have even played this before, my era though
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

First game with speech was Stratovox, Help me, help me........................

" Stratovox AKA Speak & Rescue is an arcade shoot 'em up developed by Sun Electronics and published by Taito in 1980. It was the first video game to feature voice synthesis "

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                Hmmmm, I do remember some talk of this being the first speech, but AFSIK this title goes to Bezerk?

Yeah great game, loved Bosconian in the arcades, fun gameplay, reasonable difficulty curve and value for 20c
                Yep Berzerk was the first mass produced Arcade game with speech. Each word cost a ridiculous amount of $ to sample and code. First time I saw a Berzerk upright cab, It's attract mode freaked me out a bit by saying 'coin detected in pocket' - I thought it really knew I had 20c pieces in my pocket

Originally posted by wingtipvortex View Post

" Stratovox AKA Speak & Rescue is an arcade shoot 'em up developed by Sun Electronics and published by Taito in 1980. It was the first video game to feature voice synthesis "
                Oh, thanks for killing my Berzerk adulation Andy I haven't heard of / played Stratovox. I did a quick google, and it also came out in 1980 like Berzerk - I wonder if it was a race to the first game with speech ? Stern spent US $30k on synthesizing thirty words for Berzerk, amazing!
                Last edited by Jed; 14 October 2012, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wingtipvortex View Post

I'm third on MARP on Stratovox with 60k, love that game

Seems to be a few titles claiming first with speech, which one is correct? I think Bosconian is NOT the first, but I'm not sure about Bezerk and Stratovox?
                  Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000.png
Views:	1
Size:	2.3 KB
ID:	1793083

First serious game, get's bloody hard bloody fast

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a couple of games of each version, just different patterns in the placement of the motherships as far as I can tell, one doesn't seem easier than the other to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                      Seems to be a few titles claiming first with speech, which one is correct? I think Bosconian is NOT the first, but I'm not sure about Bezerk and Stratovox?
                      Sorry think that was me talking out top of head (or other end) when I suggested Bosconian was first - thought I'd read it in "Ultimate history of Video games" but a quick check last night revealed I hadn't

Comment

Condition wed, condition wed
                        Attached Files

Comment

This thing gets really fast very quickly. Seems faster than the bosco romset to me.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Played both for interest sake and the patterns of the green space stations is different , the midway one puts them in a more bonus stage like formation where the original is more scattered, try it
                            sigpic

Comment

Anyone else having problems getting this one to work. I cant seem to find a good dump anywhere.
                              Astro city mame cab owner. | Beginning work on my Intelivision collection.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X