MGL 16: Call for Ideas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGL 16: Call for Ideas

It's getting close to time to kick off yet another MGL. As with previous MGL's, we need your input and/or ideas on how to run this.

At this stage, the starting date will be either Oct 14 or Oct 21 - which if we stick to the 8 game staggered format the same as MGL 15 means we will finish on either Dec 16 or Dec 23. Either is fine with me, but others may be a little busy in the week Dec 16-23 preparing for Xmas. Any preferred starting date? Maybe we should try 6 games given that Xmas is coming up - it's up to you guys, I'm easy either way.

MGL Banner - We need a new banner. Anyone with an ounce of graphic skill will do something better than me, so feel free to post some in here and we can all vote on the best one to use.

Any other changes you'd like to see or have considered, please just post them no matter if you think they've been covered in the past.

We'll keep this thread open for around 10-14 days and then call for nominations.

BAN ROB FROM MGL16.

Just getting in first.

Personally I'd lean towards starting on Oct 14 purely due to the Xmas factor but I'll be fine with whatever the majority decide.

8 games. 6 games. Make Rob play wearing a strait jacket. I'm OK with whatever (well perhaps not the third option).

Comment

Originally posted by RMacauley View Post
      BAN ROB FROM MGL16.

Just getting in first.

Personally I'd lean towards starting on Oct 14 purely due to the Xmas factor but I'll be fine with whatever the majority decide.

8 games. 6 games. Make Rob play wearing a strait jacket. I'm OK with whatever (well perhaps not the third option).

Damn beat me to it, that is banning handicapping you

Looking forward to playing some NEW games hopefully the old ones don't keep resurfacing
      sigpic

Comment

Another league I have played in only allows 1 nomination per/ player of a game that has been played before, the rest of their nominations must be new. This way you end up with a lot of fresh nominations every comp. Not a bad idea.

As for Rob... Well its like inviting Sunil Gavaskar to play in your Sunday social cricket comp... You know what's going to happen, but its good to have him there anyway

Comment

No time to add anything yet, going bush now, but subscribed to thread to remind me to respond later, oh yeah and break his knees I think, show no mercy I still want him to be able to play well, but we should hurt him
          Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
            but we should hurt him
            I did get hurt last time. My right shoulder paid the price for weeks thanks to "Joystickgate."

Comment

I favour restricting it to games that have never appeared in any previous addition of MGL before.

With RM maybe make it that unless he wins every game we disqualify his scores! That should put a bit of pressure on him or totally humiliate the rest of us as he spanks our backsides eight times in a row

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
                I favour restricting it to games that have never appeared in any previous addition of MGL before.

I am strongly in favour of this... and the more obsure the game, the better.

MGL16: The Untouchables

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
                  That sounds OK to me too, maybe should be no nominating games that have been played in MGLs 8 - 15 (the MGLs we still have the details for).

Comment

Originally posted by kane View Post
                    That sounds OK to me too, maybe should be no nominating games that have been played in MGLs 8 - 15 (the MGLs we still have the details for).
                    I'm happy enough to go along with this as a trial for this MGL. Maybe 5 nominations isn't necessary, maybe drop it back to 3 - if we are going to ignore 60 odd games we will see some new stuff, but we don't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get some truly awful games nominated

Are we all happy with the Default DIPs or do we want to go back to TG Settings? From memory, the ideas thread last time came back with about a 52% to 48% majority in favour of Default DIPs.

I do tend to agree with Rob, I think the 14th is a better start time if we are gonna stick with 8 games, it's just pushing it too close finishing on the 23rd - I believe 23rd will be midnight shopping which is my normal panic day to get all my shopping done

Comment

If you check the mame high score thread you may get an idea of the games that were played in mgl 1-8. I don't think this thread had been kept up to date either(nudge nudge)
                      "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

Comment

Originally posted by Foot View Post
                        If you check the mame high score thread you may get an idea of the games that were played in mgl 1-8. I don't think this thread had been kept up to date either(nudge nudge)
                        That's an easy way of checking what has been played - we can exclude all games easily if everyone is happy with that.

I updated the scores in this thread after the last MGL, not sure if I updated the scores from MGL 14 as I wasn't running it then and had no mod editing rights. I'll look into it on the weekend if I have 2 secs to spare.

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post
                          I'm happy enough to go along with this as a trial for this MGL. Maybe 5 nominations isn't necessary, maybe drop it back to 3 - if we are going to ignore 60 odd games we will see some new stuff, but we don't want to scrape the bottom of the barrel and get some truly awful games nominated

Are we all happy with the Default DIPs or do we want to go back to TG Settings? From memory, the ideas thread last time came back with about a 52% to 48% majority in favour of Default DIPs.

I do tend to agree with Rob, I think the 14th is a better start time if we are gonna stick with 8 games, it's just pushing it too close finishing on the 23rd - I believe 23rd will be midnight shopping which is my normal panic day to get all my shopping done

John, I think your being a bit limited in your view of how many really good, yet lessor known, games there are in Mame - I could come up with heaps that haven't been played yet. (Keep in mind I nominated and still quite like Radar Scope ) I find it hard to limit it to five nominated games in the past.

I favour default dips - closer to the arcade experience.

Finally apologies for my poor spelling and gramma in post 7. Thank deity Homepin doesn't read this section!

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post

I'd suggest starting even earlier, December is a crazy time of year for most peeps.

I vote to keep it at Mame defaults, lets keep MGL fun and not tiresome at brutal settings. There's no 'TG' in MGL :

As for the games, they don't have to be 'bottom of the barrel' they still should be chosen according to the original MGL rules - ie the most important thing is they should be FUN to play, and be suitable for the format, ie score based.

I'm going to start scouring my 6000 rom install

Comment

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
                              I'd suggest starting even earlier, December is a crazy time of year for most peeps.
                              I'm happy to start earlier, but we are fast running out of time. Oct 14 is only just over 3 weeks away, and we need at least 1 week for nominations.

Everyone let me know, if we want to kick off on Oct 7th then we'll need a nominations thread up mid next week.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X