• MGL 15: Game 8 Anteater [COMPLETED]

Anteater
    MGL 15 Game 8
    Nominated by: Fire_Power
    Game Settings

ROM Name: anteater.zip

DIP Switches:

Lives: 3
    Bonus Life: Every 20k (This is stored internally and not DIP switch selected)

Note: These are the same settings as used by TG - Feel free to knock off a record in the name of AA

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
    Maximum number of Players: 2
    Gameplay: Alternating
    Control Panel Layout: Single Player
    Controls:

Joystick: 4-way
    Buttons: 1 [Tongue Retract]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Game Introduction

You play an anteater that elongates his sticky tongue through maze-like anthills eating ants, other bugs and insects.

The game has four different critters which the anteater can get to score points and each of them have different point values. Ant larvaes are worth 10 points, ants are worth 100 points, worms are worth 200 points and a Queen Ant is worth 1,000 points. Also, an extra anteater is rewarded every 20,000 points.

You cannot touch the worm's head, but you can munch him from behind. Worms and spiders cannot be killed unless they reach the tip of your tongue. The spider comes out at night and travels down the tongue until it reaches the tip. It can only be removed by eating a Queen Ant which clears all the critters from the screen. The Days get shorter as the game progresses, consequently the spider comes out earlier. The spider is truly the nemesis of this game.

More detailed information on Anteater and game play can be found here: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=6891

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Anteater comp closes Sunday 7PM August 19th.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck

TG Top 3 Scores

Rank Name Score
    1 David Nelson 201,650
    2 Martin Bedard 172,340
    3 Philippe Lamat 155,550

Final Standings

Rank
    Name Score
    MGL Points
    1 RMacauley 123,200 25
    2 ED_209 113,700 20
    3 John73 113,540 16
    4 Fire_Power 93,790 13
    5 Brad 85,920 11
    6 Nicko71 78,630 10
    7 Spartan 50,620 9
    8 Kane 50,240 8
    9 Major Havoc 25,210 7
    10 Foot 19,350 6
    Last edited by John73; 19 August 2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: Updated scores to final standings

Anthill 5. Haven't played this one in a long time.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cracker of a game and a great selection - off course I would say that wouldn't I Straight from the classic era of gaming for me, although I've never seen one in the wild, only in Mame, but a work colleague tells me he had it on a console of some sort.

I admit I have a predilection for maze games and am always amazed () at how many different ways you can set up a game that is essentially a maze like this one.

I reckon there'll be some huge scores on this as it's not a hard game. I also predict some moans about the catchy tune. I'll start of with a quick game of 28,900

Click image for larger version

Name:	ante0004.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	1792363

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Power View Post
        I also predict some moans about the catchy tune. I'll start of with a quick game of 28,900

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41843[/ATTACH]
        I thought the tune was catchy myself when I first heard it.

No scores from me tonight, had a few games and still trying to work out exactly what I'm doing - best score of around 6K at the moment

Comment

So I guess wingtip, you didn't delete firepowers noms like you mentoned you were going to

Comment

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
            So I guess wingtip, you didn't delete firepowers noms like you mentoned you were going to
            Stop stirring the pot

Wigtip actually forgot to send me the game for week 8, so I just went to a random number generator on the net - first number out was 3 which was Anteater, I had to go through the list to find out who nominated it as I had no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally cracked the 10K mark

Name:	0002.png
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	1792370
            Last edited by John73; 6 August 2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

You trying to sneak in an above 20k score with two pictures ;p

Brad
              My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                You trying to sneak in an above 20k score with two pictures ;p

Brad
                Whoops Fixed

Got a case of the skinny pictures again though

Comment

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
                  Yep, I'd expected that to happen - matches with the terrestrial levels of understanding of randomness and the sophisticated, mature approach to the way open free discussion is encouraged Thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post
                    Stop stirring the pot

Wigtip actually forgot to send me the game for week 8, so I just went to a random number generator on the net - first number out was 3 which was Anteater, I had to go through the list to find out who nominated it as I had no idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally cracked the 10K mark
                    I'm liking this game, never even heard of it but it's kinda cool and a bit weird.

Comment

Never heard of Anteater? Blasphemy

Used to ride to the "distant" shops as a kid to play this.

Brad
                      My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

I never knew this game existed either, it's all your fault for not mentioning it!

I can just imagine the flyer for this game, there would be something like "eats ants, eats quaters!", and then something about the "awesome tounge action"...

Comment

Name:	0003.png
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1792373

This games a coin sucker alright, if I had have come about this game in the arcades I reckon I would have spent 40c on it - 2 games and decided it wasn't worthy of my money

Ahhhh Mame, I don't have to pay for games I suck at Bit of a difference from Hyper Olympics were I got over 4hours of value for my 20c

Comment

Me and my son are playing this next to each other.. Hes still trying to get past the first stage.
                            Its Tricky.. and the layout is never the same

Name:	0003.png
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	1792379
                            Cheers
                            Last edited by Major Havoc; 6 August 2012, 10:50 PM.
                            Major Havoc

Comment

Fellow MGL'ers, a small diversion from your regular programming.

Google's Home Page has a hurdles game on it for the next 24 hours. Arrow keys to run, space bar to jump.

Who's in for a quick 24 hour comp ? I've put up a time. No joysticks this time

http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthre...683#post670683

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X