Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 15: Game 4 Xain'd Sleena [COMPLETED]

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]

Xain'd Sleena

[/TD]

[TD]

MGL 15 Game 4

[/TD]

[TD]

Nominated by: Taverner

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/xsleena1.png[/TD]

[TD]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/xsleena2.png[/TD]

[TD]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/xsleena3.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Game Settings

ROM Name: xsleena.zip

DIP Switches:

Difficulty: Easy

Game Time: Slow

Lives: 3

Bonus Life: 20k 70k and every 70k

Note: If you wish to submit score to TG you will need your settings on: Difficulty: Normal, Game Time: Normal

Game Info

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

Joystick: 8-way

Buttons: 2 [shoot, Jump]

Sound: Amplified Mono (one channel)

Game Introduction

You are an armoured, rocket-booted soldier, whose mission is to defend five planets against the evil empire. You run from left to right, shooting your way to the base at the end of each level, then tackle a left to right space ship stage.

Pick up various power-up weapons and attack the end of level boss on each planet. After each space stage there is a spectacular finale. Firing constantly while moving forward is the best method. However, there is a bonus stage after you complete the five planets that is extremely difficult. It is best to avoid everything here whenever possible.

More detailed information on Xain'd Sleena and game play can be found here: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10500

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score. Xain'd Sleena comp closes Sunday 7PM July 22nd.

Check back here for progress scores..... Good Luck :cool:

TG Top 3 Scores

TG Settings: Difficulty Normal, Game Time: Normal

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Koos J van Dyk[/TD]

[TD]1,543,550[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]Christian Gomez[/TD]

[TD]1,304,430[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Tom Freebairn[/TD]

[TD]1,204,940[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Progress Scores

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 500, align: left]

[TR]

[TD]Rank

[/TD]

[TD]Name[/TD]

[TD]Score

[/TD]

[TD]MGL Points

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]Spartan[/TD]

[TD]3,144,850[/TD]

[TD]25 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/goldmedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]RMacauley[/TD]

[TD]1,271,000[/TD]

[TD]20 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/silvermedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]3[/TD]

[TD]Brad[/TD]

[TD]1,223,110[/TD]

[TD]16 http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z103/holycow1973/bronzemedal_t.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]kane[/TD]

[TD]1,046,150[/TD]

[TD]13[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]5[/TD]

[TD]Taverner[/TD]

[TD]652,240[/TD]

[TD]11[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]6[/TD]

[TD]nicko71[/TD]

[TD]486,700[/TD]

[TD]10[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]7[/TD]

[TD]John73[/TD]

[TD]454,500[/TD]

[TD]9[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]8[/TD]

[TD]DKong[/TD]

[TD]304,650[/TD]

[TD]8[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]9[/TD]

[TD]SectionZ[/TD]

[TD]188,600[/TD]

[TD]7[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]10[/TD]

[TD]Rat[/TD]

[TD]172,450[/TD]

[TD]6[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]11[/TD]

[TD]Major Havoc[/TD]

[TD]156,350[/TD]

[TD]5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]12[/TD]

[TD]Jammasized[/TD]

[TD]131,690[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]13[/TD]

[TD]azathoth[/TD]

[TD]76,440[/TD]

[TD]3[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Edited by John73
Updated score to post #64

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just throwing this out there. There is a major leech point on one of the planets. It's possible to max this thing out without finishing the game if you know how. I've never tried it myself but have seen it done on inp files.

I said in the Hyper Olympic thread "knowing my luck the next game will be a leechfest." Looks like it's come true.

Cheers

Rob

Just throwing this out there. There is a major leech point on one of the planets. It's possible to max this thing out without finishing the game if you know how. I've never tried it myself but have seen it done on inp files.

I said in the Hyper Olympic thread "knowing my luck the next game will be a leechfest." Looks like it's come true.

Cheers

Rob

The scoreboard on TG doesn't make any mention of point leeching on this game. I've never heard of it, nor played it (until I had a look today to get the DIP switch settings) so I can't really say if it should be allowed or not. :unsure I guess does this game have an end point if you aren't leeching?

I guess there are leeching points in many games we will play, but its probably a good idea not to mention it too soon after a game has been posted:) discovery is the best policy for gamers that have never heard of, or played a particular game before.

Just a suggestion.

- - - Updated - - -

The scoreboard on TG doesn't make any mention of point leeching on this game. I've never heard of it, nor played it (until I had a look today to get the DIP switch settings) so I can't really say if it should be allowed or not. :unsure I guess does this game have an end point if you aren't leeching?

Exactly.

Same as someone telling me a good movie has a twist in it, no matter what the movie is doing, im waiting/looking for the twist. A bit distracting imo.

I don't know this game at all (although I hear good things) but from what I can see on MARP they set the extra lives to 20k & 80k ONLY so you can't run the timer out and die and repeat, maybe we should do that?

I guess there are leeching points in many games we will play, but its probably a good idea not to mention it too soon after a game has been posted:) discovery is the best policy for gamers that have never heard of, or played a particular game before.

Just a suggestion.

Fair enough. So should I use what I know to score 9,999,999 kill this one off tonight and be thought of as an arsehole? Considering the Hyper Olympic joystick vs buttons argument I thought that I'd mention this right away. Won't happen again.

Knowledge is power I guess.

I played this in another comp a couple years back and leeching was a major issue. Rob bringing it up early saves some pain later I think and isn't such a bad thing.

I'd +1 to what Kane suggested and use Marp settings.

You can do whatever you want to play this game Rob, but at the end of the day you have let a gameplay tip out 19 mins into it being posted, and that is my issue. The discussion about hints and tips has been addressed before numerous times, and the consensus was to at least leave it a week. Get your 999,999,999 if you want, but just do it and leave a bit of mystery for us as to how you did it.

Don't get me wrong, you have my full respect as an awesome gamer, and im in awe of your scores on games:cool: Just let some of us make the discovery ourselves is all im saying.

My 2cents...

If TG doesn't mention rules about points leeching, then I guess we accept it :unsure

If someone knows how to leech points, then it's up to them if they use it. I know some don't like point leeching - but back in the day, if I could make my 20cents last longer, then I would, it didn't detract from the game for myself.

Maybe the issue of leeching needs more discussion before the next MGL - the trouble being it is a grey area - some games it can ruin, other games (DK) it adds to the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I played this in another comp a couple years back and leeching was a major issue. Rob bringing it up early saves some pain later I think and isn't such a bad thing.

I'd +1 to what Kane suggested and use Marp settings.

After the controversy of Hyper Olympics (or Joystickgate as I call it) :lol should we call for a vote on this right this very second? I'll leave this open until 7pm tomorrow night - do we change the DIPs to the suggested MARP settings?

- - - Updated - - -

You can do whatever you want to play this game Rob, but at the end of the day you have let a gameplay tip out 19 mins into it being posted, and that is my issue. The discussion about hints and tips has been addressed before numerous times, and the consensus was to at least leave it a week. Get your 999,999,999 if you want, but just do it and leave a bit of mystery for us as to how you did it.

Don't get me wrong, you have my full respect as an awesome gamer, and im in awe of your scores on games:cool: Just let some of us make the discovery ourselves is all im saying.

I don't know that Rob necessarily let a gameplay tip out of the bag - he just mentioned that leeching was available. Chances of me finding it on my own would be limited - I'd need to see if done to do it, e.g. the jump/right button on the rivets stage of DK I would have never worked out in a million years. You could tell me that DK had places where you could leech and I still wouldn't have found it.

No worries, point taken and it won't happen again. Considering the complaining about leeching in my only other MGL (Time Pilot springs to mind) I figured I'd mention it was possible up front. I never specified the leeching point. If anyone finds it then good luck to them I guess. Even though I know where it is I can't be certain that I can exploit it as well as others have done IF I choose to.

As for me I guess this is a case of live and learn. I'll keep my trap shut in future.

Knight is right there is a lot of slow down in this one. Its another game I remember playing as a kid, I really really sucked at it then but I learnt a lot when it came up in a comp before. I never was able to finish it so will be keen to see if I can get the last couple of planets with the easier settings.

What I always liked about this was the mixed genres, switching between platform shooter and horizontal space shooter (and being able to choose the order of stages). Admittedly the alternate stages are more bonus stages then an equal half of the game but I still like the idea of mixing genres and its maybe a shame it wasn't attempted more.

Just a small sample of what's possible without revealing specific details. I stopped for 3 reasons.

1. I was starting to hurt. I'm not as young as I used to be.

2. It was getting boring.

3. Had to take a leak.

That's all from me tonight

xsleena.png.c5ee0dbda4b1fc0ff1a6409f2653a0ee.png

Knight is right there is a lot of slow down in this one. Its another game I remember playing as a kid, I really really sucked at it then but I learnt a lot when it came up in a comp before. I never was able to finish it so will be keen to see if I can get the last couple of planets with the easier settings.

What I always liked about this was the mixed genres, switching between platform shooter and horizontal space shooter (and being able to choose the order of stages). Admittedly the alternate stages are more bonus stages then an equal half of the game but I still like the idea of mixing genres and its maybe a shame it wasn't attempted more.

I haven't played it for a while, but in certain stages the slow down can be quite bad.

(Pretty sure the game should be listed as 8 way :unsure wont matter with the platform stages but will in the space ones).

http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac170/games76/Xsleena-434310.png

That's completing the first three worlds but getting hammered in space.

(Pretty sure the game should be listed as 8 way :unsure wont matter with the platform stages but will in the space ones).

I think you're right. I'm playing on keyboard so it's hard to tell and the KLOV website didn't make mention of the joystick and control layout for this one.

- - - Updated - - -

:o That's some improvement in three hours of play ! nice :cool:

The game is a lot easier when you work out some of the controls properly - dodging bullets is helpful I've found :lol