Number of Simultaneous Players: 1
    Maximum number of Players: 2
    Gameplay: Alternating
    Control Panel Layout: Single Player
    Controls:

• Joystick: 8-way
    • Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Gyruss Description

A shoot-em-up through the Earth's solar system where the player's ship moves in a circular orbit around the outer edge of the screen while shooting at enemies in the center. The purpose of this game is to fly through the solar system and reach Earth. The other planets that have you travel to before Earth are Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. It only takes two warps to arrive at Neptune, but all others including Earth take three warps to get to. Each time you reach a planet, there is a Challenge Stage where you try to destroy as many enemies as possible. After reaching Earth, there is a Challenge Stage followed by a very fast "three warps to Neptune" stage. After this, the levels and the background music start over.

Even more info if you need it @: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_de...p?game_id=8060

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

GYRUSS comp closes 7PM August 7th.

GOOD LUCK!

LEADER BOARD

Spartan: 643,900
    John73: 638,650

Woody: 544,900
    Foot: 426,900
    DKong: 307,100
    wongtoplatex: 280,200
    Brad: 227,350
    Jammasized: 220,550
    Pelly: 207,450
    Rat: 206,300
    Fire_Power: 168,000
    Azathoth: 163,100
    AdamC: 139,750
    Kane: 137,550
    shabu: 100,600
    Big Giant Head: 83,400
    ED_209: 78,450
    Last edited by Jed; 15th August 2011, 06:09 PM.

I think it was this game I was reading about in the book "Ultimate History of Video Games" where the designer thought he'd done a pretty good job and it was innovative with the circular path, so he asked for a pay rise and was sacked the next day!

Comment

Before I start, is this correct dip settings?

Lives = 3
      Bonus = 30K 90K 60K +
      Difficult = 5

I absolutely loved this game, and think I'm pretty good at it - but I'm sure I'm come up well short of many of you

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.4 KB
ID:	1786157

A shocking first effort, but I've had a couple of drinks and am trying to play this while laying on the couch. I'll post a better score tomorrow. Hope my dip switches above are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by John73 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26546[/ATTACH]

A shocking first effort, but I've had a couple of drinks and am trying to play this while laying on the couch. I'll post a better score tomorrow. Hope my dip switches above are correct.
          Pretty sure thats right, its what I'm using atm
          sigpic

Comment

I'm expecting some BIG scores from you guys on this game!

Brad
            My Projects - Space Invaders Bartop, Williams A-Go-Go, Galaxian Bartop, Jukebox Kiosk 1&2, Jukebox Kiosk 3, Virtual Minipin, Generic Upright, MultiCab, Rampage,

Comment

oops i forgot the dip settings, will update the first post shortly. mame defaults though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammasized View Post
                oops i forgot the dip settings, will update the first post shortly. mame defaults though.
                My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1"

Comment

Name:	0003.png
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	1786159

That's more like a half decent starting score for me. One warp and about 2 enemies from making it to Earth. Not bad for me since I haven't played a game of this seriously for a long time. Can't remember the Earth, Mars or the one before it???? challenge stages - this will come back after a few games though.

Comment

Name:	0004.png
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	1786160

That's my morning effort done. Time to do some work

Comment

400K already :-/ Gee I hope a game comes up in this tournament that I actually played in my youth...

Comment

My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1"
                        Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by Pelly View Post
                        400K already :-/ Gee I hope a game comes up in this tournament that I actually played in my youth...
                        Interesting... Given most of the games so far have been relatively well known and 'big' titles from the early to mid 80's (the golden age of the arcade), I'd place you at under 35 y/o - is that right ?

Comment

Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?
                          http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcad...ics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.

But now that we're underway, I more than happy to stick with 1 for the difficulty. The score I posted earlier would be my highest score of all time, I'd say that level 5 might be just that little bit harder. I'll have to put it onto level 5 after this game finishes and see what sort of score I can get.

Comment

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcad...ics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.
                            This is what I assumed, that the dip switches are dictated by the rom and not Mame. but that manual you linked is for the original Arcade machine board dips.

But you'd assume Mame would be replicating the original arcade machine dips, right ? But it aint necessarily so... I get the dips straight out of the version of mame on my laptop - it's a fresh install of mame 0.96, I never play games on that version or change anything, just use it to load roms and check Mame defaults - so have never altered anything.

Can mame experts shed any light on this anomoly ? Dkong also mentioned his mame defaults have difficulty set to 5.

Kane, any ideas ?

Comment

Kane, any ideas ?
                              It's because you are using such an old version of MAME.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME106 and the defaults DIPs are 1(Easiest) and 30k 60k.
                              I loaded up Gyruss in MAME143 and the defaults DIPs are 5(Average) and 30k 90k 60k+.

So somewhere in the MAME evolution they have changed the default DIP settings, don't know why.

Comment

Users Viewing Topic: 0 members and 1 (guests)
                              Working...
                              X