Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl13 game 7: Gyruss [finished]

WINGTIPVORTEX loves planet hopping and killing alien scum, see why in

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/gyrusst-tourn.jpg

ROM NAME: Gyruss.zip

DIP SWITCHES:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g475/jammasized/gturss-dips.jpg

Manufacturer: Konami

Year: 1983

• Orientation: Vertical
  • Type: Raster: Standard Resolution
  • CRT: Color

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player

Controls:

• Joystick: 8-way
  • Buttons: 1 [Fire]

Gyruss Description

A shoot-em-up through the Earth's solar system where the player's ship moves in a circular orbit around the outer edge of the screen while shooting at enemies in the center. The purpose of this game is to fly through the solar system and reach Earth. The other planets that have you travel to before Earth are Neptune, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars. It only takes two warps to arrive at Neptune, but all others including Earth take three warps to get to. Each time you reach a planet, there is a Challenge Stage where you try to destroy as many enemies as possible. After reaching Earth, there is a Challenge Stage followed by a very fast "three warps to Neptune" stage. After this, the levels and the background music start over.

Even more info if you need it @: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8060

To qualify for MGL points you will need to have submitted a score by stating your score in the subject line of your message, and posting a screenshot in this thread. Submit scores as many times as you like, please post a new message for each new score.

GYRUSS comp closes 7PM August 7th.

GOOD LUCK!

LEADER BOARD

Spartan: 643,900

John73: 638,650

Woody: 544,900

Foot: 426,900

DKong: 307,100

wongtoplatex: 280,200

Brad: 227,350

Jammasized: 220,550

Pelly: 207,450

Rat: 206,300

Fire_Power: 168,000

Azathoth: 163,100

AdamC: 139,750

Kane: 137,550

shabu: 100,600

Big Giant Head: 83,400

ED_209: 78,450

Edited by Jed

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it was this game I was reading about in the book "Ultimate History of Video Games" where the designer thought he'd done a pretty good job and it was innovative with the circular path, so he asked for a pay rise and was sacked the next day!

Before I start, is this correct dip settings?

Lives = 3

Bonus = 30K 90K 60K +

Difficult = 5

I absolutely loved this game, and think I'm pretty good at it - but I'm sure I'm come up well short of many of you :redface

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26546[/ATTACH]

A shocking first effort, but I've had a couple of drinks and am trying to play this while laying on the couch. I'll post a better score tomorrow. Hope my dip switches above are correct.

Pretty sure thats right, its what I'm using atm

oops i forgot the dip settings, will update the first post shortly. mame defaults though.

My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? :confused: My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1" :laugh:

0003.png.a2e8e2d8336eca33e3aa3d3b4a77e817.png

That's more like a half decent starting score for me. One warp and about 2 enemies from making it to Earth. Not bad for me since I haven't played a game of this seriously for a long time. Can't remember the Earth, Mars or the one before it???? challenge stages - this will come back after a few games though.

My bonus life settings don't say "30 60" but "30 90 60+" which I'm guessing is the same. Must be a slightly different ROM version I'm using? :confused: My default for difficulty is also 5 - but I'll gladly change this to "1" :laugh:

Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

400K already :-/ Gee I hope a game comes up in this tournament that I actually played in my youth...

Interesting... Given most of the games so far have been relatively well known and 'big' titles from the early to mid 80's (the golden age of the arcade), I'd place you at under 35 y/o - is that right ?

Strange, if you are playing the 'gyruss' rom then mame defaults should be the same, unless different versionsof mame use different defaults ? Any mame experts shed any light on this ?

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.

But now that we're underway, I more than happy to stick with 1 for the difficulty. The score I posted earlier would be my highest score of all time, I'd say that level 5 might be just that little bit harder. I'll have to put it onto level 5 after this game finishes and see what sort of score I can get.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Gyruss.pdf

There is an "original" manual for Gyruss. The default is actually "5 - Difficult"

I would say that the "default" dip switches are actually specified within the ROM file itself - and not from within the version of Mame that you are running.

This is what I assumed, that the dip switches are dictated by the rom and not Mame. but that manual you linked is for the original Arcade machine board dips.

But you'd assume Mame would be replicating the original arcade machine dips, right ? But it aint necessarily so... I get the dips straight out of the version of mame on my laptop - it's a fresh install of mame 0.96, I never play games on that version or change anything, just use it to load roms and check Mame defaults - so have never altered anything.

Can mame experts shed any light on this anomoly ? Dkong also mentioned his mame defaults have difficulty set to 5.

Kane, any ideas ?

Kane, any ideas ?

It's because you are using such an old version of MAME.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME106 and the defaults DIPs are 1(Easiest) and 30k 60k.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME143 and the defaults DIPs are 5(Average) and 30k 90k 60k+.

So somewhere in the MAME evolution they have changed the default DIP settings, don't know why.

It's because you are using such an old version of MAME.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME106 and the defaults DIPs are 1(Easiest) and 30k 60k.

I loaded up Gyruss in MAME143 and the defaults DIPs are 5(Average) and 30k 90k 60k+.

So somewhere in the MAME evolution they have changed the default DIP settings, don't know why.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the MAME testers look for these sorts of things. When a MAME rom is first introduced, if no official documentation is available then the Dev team can only guess at what the dip switches should be. When official documentation is found, I believe the ROM is changed to reflect the manufacturers default settings.

Only way to find out for sure would be to get onto the MameDev site and ask someone there.

Interesting... Given most of the games so far have been relatively well known and 'big' titles from the early to mid 80's (the golden age of the arcade), I'd place you at under 35 y/o - is that right ?

Yeah, just turned 29. So most of my Arcading was done early 90's rather than mid 80's. That's why I had never really heard of or played games like Crush Roller, Gyruss, Pengo or Terra Cresta. Still loving the fact that MGL is introducing me to them and giving me the chance to give some of the more "slightly mature" gaming vets a run for your money :D That being said.. some of my noms still may yet get chosen for MGL 13...

I've been meaning to get into this game for a while but have never given it a serious go, good that it has come up in the MGL. Here's a score on the keyboard.
Gyruss is a shooter that even people who don't really like shooters can like :) It's got a nice balance of patterns, tactics, and bonuses.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Yeah, just turned 29. So most of my Arcading was done early 90's rather than mid 80's. That's why I had never really heard of or played games like Crush Roller, Gyruss, Pengo or Terra Cresta. Still loving the fact that MGL is introducing me to them and giving me the chance to give some of the more "slightly mature" gaming vets a run for your money :D That being said.. some of my noms still may yet get chosen for MGL 13...
Good to see some of you young whippersnappers in the mgl amongst the crusty old gamers :) I'm 44 and still game on like a teen. Somehow, gaming just never has lost it's appeal. When I first found Mame around '98, it was like finding a time machine. It still feels like that now, even more so since I got a mame upright. Just love it :)

Just a quick note. Most im sure are aware, but some may not realize that its fairly essential that you have your sticks set to 8 way for this game. It can be played 4 way, but it makes it much less flowy.

I'm using keyboard since I've been very lazy the last couple of months and done zero work on my cab :(

I don't mind keyboard, I think I play just as well either way. Terra Cresta is the only game so far where I've found that the joystick far outweighs the keyboard.

As with Terra Cresta, your hand can get a bit sore on the fire button (using left instead of right) using the keyboard. But at least Gyruss gives you a bit of a break every minute - Terra Cresta was painful on the left hand after a couple of games of constant shooting with hardly any break :lol

I'm using keyboard since I've been very lazy the last couple of months and done zero work on my cab :(

I don't mind keyboard, I think I play just as well either way. Terra Cresta is the only game so far where I've found that the joystick far outweighs the keyboard.

As with Terra Cresta, your hand can get a bit sore on the fire button (using left instead of right) using the keyboard. But at least Gyruss gives you a bit of a break every minute - Terra Cresta was painful on the left hand after a couple of games of constant shooting with hardly any break :lol

It is funny... playing shooters, especially vertical ones is a hell of a lot easier with a joy stick as opposed to a d-pad controller or keyboard if my Terra Cresta and Raiden scores have anything to say about it.