Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 13 - Start Date Announcement and call for format suggestions

MGL13 will kickoff June 12th, mark the date in your diaries/smartphones/back of your hand! Nominations will commence two weeks prior to that date. (May 29th)

It would be good to use the time between now and game nomination time (roughly a month) for everyone interested in participating, to kick around some ideas about what would be a good format for the next MGL.

I'll get the ball rolling - a 'Rotating Genre' MGL where we play 1 game from each Genre, in order. For example: 1. Shooter 2. Platformer 3. Maze 4. Other

And then repeat - so 3 games of each genre would be played in a 12-game format, giving an even spread of types of game throughout the MGL. Obviously there are some games that are a mix of genres, and some games that defy description, but that's all part of the fun!

So suggest away and give us your ideas for the next MGL. Keep suggestions within the current format IE must be playable on MAME, and score based game format. The most popular idea for a format (we'll vote on it or something) will get the guernsy for MGL13.

So IMHO lets all subscribe to this thread, and there could be a post in general chat, even I don't check here all the time.

Hmmmmm ideas......yes...well I think the limit on 5 game noms worked well.

How about we just ask people to nom a mix of styles, and if 2 of your noms come up then your out, no more.

That way it might be more spread out.

Jammas idea could work in with this, variety is good.

But as we know some games don't suit the MGL................I think we should keep the UNnom option and apply it to the game list before the first round.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Harrr harrr....posted before WTV and Dkong :)

So IMHO lets all subscribe to this thread, and there could be a post in general chat, even I don't check here all the time.

Hmmmmm ideas......yes...well I think the limit on 5 game noms worked well.

How about we just ask people to nom a mix of styles, and if 2 of your noms come up then your out, no more.

That way it might be more spread out.

Jammas idea could work in with this, variety is good.

But as we know some games don't suit the MGL................I think we should keep the UNnom option and apply it to the game list before the first round.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Harrr harrr....posted before WTV and Dkong :)

Congratulations:rolleyes

Really hope I can be onboard for this one, but time will be the hardest thing to come by. Hmmm, might have to set something up at work. :D

Yeah - time is an issue for me too.

The most time I had to play in a MGL was over the xmas break and funnily enough the people here decided that would be a good time for a MGL break! :lol

The format does sound good but. A good mix of games is always fun. :)

I only played the last half of the last MGL but I think ensuring you don't have the same genre showing up two weeks in a row is a good thing. I think last MGL there were a few Schmups come up in a row and to be honest, after spending a whole week trying to improve my point score on one genre, facing another week of the same was not motivating me.

We ended with Raiden, Nemesis, Space invaders and carnival, all shooters, fair enough vertical, side and stationary shooters so different, but not different enough so it drains the will to play a bit.

We ended with Raiden, Nemesis, Space invaders and carnival, all shooters, fair enough vertical, side and stationary shooters so different, but not different enough so it drains the will to play a bit.

the same thing has happened in a few MGL's in the past, you spend a week on an RSI shooter and hey presto, another RSI shooter pops up :rolleyes Game draw is random but it can (and usually does) happen that you get similar games one after the other - hence the genre format suggestion to try and give a good spread over the 3 months of play.

removing from potential nomination anything that's been played in the previous 3 MGL's is also worth doing again I reckon.

I'll be in when MGL13 starts :cool:

I don't think I'll nominate any games or I'll just nominate games I used to play as a kid. I was never a donkey kong fan until the recent Kong Off, so I think I'd prefer to play games that others like - who knows, I may just find something I really like that I wouldn't otherwise play, like I did with Donkey Kong :)

I'll be in when MGL13 starts :cool:

I don't think I'll nominate any games or I'll just nominate games I used to play as a kid. I was never a donkey kong fan until the recent Kong Off, so I think I'd prefer to play games that others like - who knows, I may just find something I really like that I wouldn't otherwise play, like I did with Donkey Kong :)

Yeah that's the beauty of MGL. You get to discover some games you never knew about or never got around to play. :)

I like the idea of nominating for different genres or even years to keep the variety up. I'll miss a lot of the next one, will still play about half the games but I'll be overseas right in the middle of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am only suggesting this theme because these are the games I have been playing lately to get scores up on TG.

Also, I am new to MGL (only got on board with Kong Off) so if this theme has already been done, please excuse my ignorance... Shooter Theme? i.e. 1942, Raiden, Galaga, R-Type etc...

it was during the break period. thats cause all you stooges cry when ever something other then an 80's classic is chosen. mortal kombat pawns your noob face wingtip and you know it. me, you, mm3= mk challenge.

Oh henry, just accept that MK aint a popular game. Good thing is, i actually had a game of it for your sake. But i see you piked on all the mgl games.......But then again, 3 months of big mouth closed in the MGL threads was euphoric:lol Ahhh, the relief:D

it was during the break period. thats cause all you stooges cry when ever something other then an 80's classic is chosen. mortal kombat pawns your noob face wingtip and you know it. me, you, mm3= mk challenge.

Nah, 90's shooters come up a bit. It's just that fighting games don't really fit the idea of classic gaming, and all the stooges voted to bin it. I put it up as a Christmas game, you didn't submit a screen, and played no other games - at the moment, in terms of the MGL, you're all bark, and no bite :rolleyes

..or perhaps we could pick the top game ever made from the top 12 game manufactures..? Surely there is a wiki page for that? i.e. Namco would be Galaga, Nintendo would be Super Mario Bros..?

or maybe the hardest game from the top 12 game manufacturers..?