Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL12 Game 10: Nemesis

KANE powers up with his nomination,

http://i51.tinypic.com/w1xnbr.jpg

DIP SWITCHES / ROM:

ROMSet: nemesis.zip

Lives: 3

Difficulty: Easy

Bonus Life: 50k and every 100k

Nemesis Description

Waves of enemies are destroyed and levels are completed by destroying a guardian. If a whole wave of enemies is destroyed a power orb is released that, when collected, increases an indicator at the bottom of the screen enabling the player to select various power-ups such as bombs, speedup, lasers, and orbitals that mirror the players movements. Game difficulty increases depending on how many power ups the player has, so sometimes it is advantageous to not power-up your ship too much.

Manufacturer: Konami

Year: 1985

Number of Simultaneous Players: 1

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Alternating

Control Panel Layout: Single Player left or right handed

Controls:

• Joystick: 8-way
  • Buttons: 3 [FireBombSelect Power-Up]

More info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8842

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 20th of February BY 7PM. (NSW daylight savings time)

Games for MGL12 are selected at random from the MGL 12 nomination thread.To nominate games after the competition has started, play in a game and submit a score, then you can add your nominations. They will be added to the MGL12 list.

Progress Scores:

Taverner 227,400

Dkong 209,500

Kane 124,500

Woka 118,400

Brad 114,700

Jammasized 45,500

Rat 31,100

Knight76 11,000

Edited by Jed

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another of my noms, oh my aren't I the popular one!

I have fond memories of banging away on this with a mate on his Commodore64 for several-hours long sessions with the usual video game sore eyes. Havn't played it in a long time though, it'll be good to give it a serious go for the MGL.

We need to start a C64GL or something.. I'd absolutely love to be able to compete with you guys but I can't stand playing games on emulators.

Due to the fact that not many of us own ALL the original classic cabinets and consoles thus enabling us to have a competition playing REAL arcade games, sadly we have to resort to mame.

I own an Asteroids cab, and a pinball machine, neither of those can be sucessfully emulated IMHO.

But nearly everything else I'm happy to play on mame and find that they are emulated so well I would be unlikely to tell the difference between them and real thing.

Unfortunately, emulators are what keeps the MGL( MAME gaming league )alive. Yes it would be nice to be able to play on original pcbs, but its beyond most of our reaches. I personally don't think Rat is kidding himself. I think he was saying that there are a ton of games that are emulated so well, that most people cant tell the difference:) And that is acceptable imo.

Im guessing that comment was in jest Hewitson, and i do see your point:cool:

You're kidding yourself mate.

I think the emulators come very close, and from an actual gameplay perspective, you can load up many games on an emulator and play with joypad or arcade stick (or whatever original control mechanism) and gameplay wise you would not tell.

But for many (like me :D), retro gaming is about more than just the pixels. Like playing on my C64, sliding that 5.25 disk in to the drive and locking it in, typing in load"*",8,1 and then run when it is ready. Hearing the drive heads loading the data etc. It is about the overall experience for me.

But obviously it is just not possible for a game in the MGL to be announced each week and we all head out to the arcade board storage shed and grab the game board to play. Mame and emulators in general allow a wider range of players to get involved and that has to be a good thing.

We need to start a C64GL or something.. I'd absolutely love to be able to compete with you guys but I can't stand playing games on emulators.

Its the MAME Gaming League not the original cabinet gaming league.

We are just the playing the games, to the best of our ability, on the emulation that is available to us.

As said the slight differences do not affect most games in game play, yes a sound may be wrong, a graphic colour wrong but most games are unnoticeable , plus we are all playing the same emulated game.

You should start a C64GL forum and get something happening.

You're kidding yourself mate.

Seriously, Hewitson, what are you doing posting in the MGL if these are your thoughts about emulated games? We're here to celebrate these games, to play them under MAME, not slag them off because they are not being played on the original boards with original hardware.

Which is a kind of friendly way of saying if you're here, then play the games, enter scores, participate, instead of just blowing hot air.

Never heard of Nemisis before, guess I better get it loaded on the cab and give it a bash. Thanks for the welcome in the Raiden thread Jamma. Promise to attach an screenshot this time (not that my poor score was even worth reporting in Raiden).

You should start a C64GL forum and get something happening.

I may well do that actually, although I'm not sure how much interest it would generate.

Never heard of Nemisis before, guess I better get it loaded on the cab and give it a bash.

Nemesis is also (better) known as it's alternate name, Gradius.

I apologise if it seems like I've come in here just to bash MAME, that wasn't my intention at all. But I can't help but argue when someone starts going on about how good the emulation is, the vertical sync rates and CPU clocks aren't even correct for the majority of the games. Not to mention all the hacks implemented to get around custom IC's, undumpable CPLD's, etc.

Not a fan so far

It does seem a bit weak after Raiden I must admit, the levels are really short and the bullets are so slow I seem to be running into bullets rather than the bullets running into me.

I got killed by Arkanoid Dohs in this game :unsure

• Super Moderator

Woohoo.. My first MGL submission.

Got that bastard wireless stick working and had a few cracks.. To be improved on.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc267/woka-woka-woka/WokaNemesis1.jpg

but it's not really as good as Gradius and other similar arcade games of the time.

LOL you DO realise this game IS Gradius right? The name "Nemesis" is just a name change in certain regions but it's somehow the parent rom in MAME.

• Super Moderator

After a quick game this morn, 120300. Those bastard smoke ring Easter Island dudes suck.

Nemesis not Nemesis (world). Nemesis (world) is a little slower and not as many bad dudes to shoot.