Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl 12 game 9: Raiden

SPL takes to the skies in his fighter called..

http://i51.tinypic.com/efmfsw.jpg

DIP SWITCHES / ROM:

ROMSet: Raiden.zip

Lives: 3

Difficulty: Normal

Bonus Life: 150,000 + 400,000

Raiden Description

In the year 2090, Earth has suddenly become the target of deranged aliens. Following the invasion, a new cutting-edge weapon, the Raiden Supersonic Attack Fighter, based on a destroyed alien craft, is created for humanity's hope for survival.

IE shoot stuff, pick up powerups, shoot more stuff.

Number of Simultaneous Players: 2

Maximum number of Players: 2

Gameplay: Joint :025:

Control Panel Layout: Multiple Player

Controls:

• Joystick: 8-way
  • Buttons: 2 [FireBomb]

More info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9244

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 13th of February BY 7PM. (NSW daylight savings time)

Games for MGL12 are selected at random from the MGL 12 nomination thread.To nominate games after the competition has started, play in a game and submit a score, then you can add your nominations. They will be added to the MGL12 list.

Progress Scores:

spl 669,190

Taverner 536,920

Ramere 388,840

Rat 370,340

Dkong 341,120

Brad 288,370

Kane 214,440

Jardine 214,050

Jammasized 196,720

Knight76 177,230

Wingtipvortex 64,710

Dezbaz 4,430

Edited by Jed

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love this game :) My favourite shooter and in fact when I first heard about Mame back when mame.dk was around this was one of the first games I used to play with me and a mate playing 2 player and sharing a keyboard. Raiden 2 has to be one of the best arcade games that still isn't emulated by mame.

I haven't noticed too big a jump since switching the difficulty from Easy (default?) to Normal but it got me thinking it's suprising that more games, then and now, don't link the scoring to the difficulty level, it cuts out any question as to what setting it was played on and gives a little more incentive to replay/switch games to harder settings.

Raiden202360.png.65a8ce627bfae7cfc5840858e8f02f6a.png

I haven't noticed too big a jump since switching the difficulty from Easy (default?) to Normal but it got me thinking it's suprising that more games, then and now, don't link the scoring to the difficulty level, it cuts out any question as to what setting it was played on and gives a little more incentive to replay/switch games to harder settings.

Yeh I agree, and since a lot of the MGL history got deleted ie before MGL 8, it's hard for people to go back and see what the MGL records were set at, as far as dip switch settings go. Doesn't seem to be an easy solution as there isn't a 'medium' that can be applied to all games, which is why we decided to go with the current 'record setting' standard of Twin Galaxies dip switch settings.

I played this not too long ago in Retroleague, i'm not a fan of this genre of Arcade games but I don't mind this one.

Hey Jamma, i think AK archived the deleted threads before MGL 8, i will shoot him a pm.

Shoot away :laugh: maybe you should send it to Brad now;) If either of you have time you could update the hi score list to include the dips used, most early MGL games used the default Mame settings anyway to make it easy for you ;)

Shoot away :laugh: maybe you should send it to Brad now;) If either of you have time you could update the hi score list to include the dips used, most early MGL games used the default Mame settings anyway to make it easy for you ;)

:D liisting 144 sets of dip switch settings doesn't really tgrab me ;) I was thinking more along the lines of if anyone's interested in challenging a high score then look up the mgl it was played in and find the dips. Maybe default mame dip switch settings would be better to play under for most games :unsure

:D liisting 144 sets of dip switch settings doesn't really tgrab me ;) I was thinking more along the lines of if anyone's interested in challenging a high score then look up the mgl it was played in and find the dips. Maybe default mame dip switch settings would be better to play under for most games :unsure

Actually it's in the rules section 1 (I)

"

• You can use ANY build of Mame and ANY front end to run Mame.

ALL GAMES USED IN THE MGL WILL NEED TO BE SET TO THE GAMES DEFAULTS IN THE SETTINGS (Refer to FAQ’s for more information)

"

:lol

Edited by DKong

I think Trav told me that he had to get rid of the archive becaue he needed the extra space to test stuff. So no MGL history

Well shoudnt matter with the rules that we all read:rolleyes

Where are all these new MGL admins when you need them , guys the rules are yours now:)

Well shoudnt matter with the rules that we all read:rolleyes

Where are all these new MGL admins when you need them , guys the rules are yours now:)

Like anyone actually reads the rules, even the game dip switch settings for that matter :lol

But seriously.... if the majority of players would prefer to use default Mame settings rather than the 'official' TG high score dip switch settings, then happy to do that :) I actually thought that's what was being used in all MGL's as I never read the rules either :redface

Edited by Jed

When I stared Raiden up on my new version of mame it was set on diff normal, so that must be default.

I like the idea of using TG dips because then we can compare our scores to theirs, but it doesn't really bother me either way.

Man I need some warming up on this game, I used to play it well but I'm not this morning.

One of my favourite shooters, Raiden, Twin Cobra and Flying Shark all get the difficulty progression right and the weapons well balanced. Later Raidens stuff that up, WTF were they thinking with that big arching laser where you just hold the button? stupid.

When I stared Raiden up on my new version of mame it was set on diff normal, so that must be default.

I like the idea of using TG dips because then we can compare our scores to theirs, but it doesn't really bother me either way.

Man I need some warming up on this game, I used to play it well but I'm not this morning.

One of my favourite shooters, Raiden, Twin Cobra and Flying Shark all get the difficulty progression right and the weapons well balanced. Later Raidens stuff that up, WTF were they thinking with that big arching laser where you just hold the button? stupid.

The purple toothpaste laser? haha yeah it's pretty useless.

Raiden DX which is the remix of Raiden 2 is considered the "best" Raiden by alot of people. It still has that purple laser though. :)

So what is everyones preferences? Red or Blue shot, Homing or Straight Missiles? I like the Blue with Homing Missiles I think.

I'm switching about and finding I'm getting similar scores with any of the 4 combinations, like Rat said there's seems to be a fairly nice balance with the weapon choices. There's also some clever stage design using the fact that the play area is bigger than the screen. The point where you get the two M/H in the second stage has the tanks funelling in from either side at the same time as there's the power up ship and the tempation to chase after the M/H. I'm dying there a lot at the moment :).

And in the 3rd stage every time you move left or right you're uncovering enemies beside you. But it's that temptation to chase stuff up the screen that gets me killed time and time again.

Edit: And from memory I liked raiden 2 purple toothpaste and all, although seeing as it's not mameable it's probably been 20+ yrs since I played it.

Getting done on the stage 1-3 boss atm.

Hopefully I can beat my best score, some good bonus's if you can keep your bombs as they act as a multiplier against the collected medallions at the end of every stage ( provided you don't die)

Great game, I have an original Raiden Deluxe :)

raid0007.png.7af0763c99d2ecc5a9a80b4cc366d787.png