Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl 12 game 3: Qix [finished]

KANE has us all drawing the line with his nomination

http://i53.tinypic.com/2q0t18j.jpg

ROM AND DIP SWITCHES

ROMSet: Qix.zip

DIP Switches: Nothing to see here

More Info: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9185

Qix Description:

Draw boxes to claim as much screen as possible without getting in the path of the "Qix" and "Sparx". Draw slower for more points and hope that you have enough coins.

NOTE: Want to make a bit of a change to SCORE UPDATES - when you want to update your score, please post a NEW message, and NEW screen, instead of updating a previous post. Makes it easier for me to track new scores and update the progress scores ladder as the week goes on. Thanks :)

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 19th of December BY 7PM (NSW daylight savings time). This will be the last game before a short Christmas break, the MGL will return on January 2nd.

Edited by Jed
Update progress scores

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool game, always liked this one, a very original idea and great gameplay. I'm not very good at it though, think I only got to the third or fourth round, and not very high scores on those rounds.

I wonder if we have any qix experts here?

Once again I won't have much time to play, but will give it a bit of a run.

Just had a qix go, got 37k on my first game :) found there are no "dips" for my qix.zip rom using mameplus!extended 0.140 so I assume the default is ok?

Yep there aren't any dips at all when you look in the game within mame settings, those ones I posted are from Twin Galaxy defaults for Mame - so nothing needs to be changed, can just play straight outta Mame.

Another unique game, lots of strategy with this if you want to get the big bonos at end of level. Think I kind of know the strategy, I struggle with executing it though :rolleyes

Edited by Jed

Interestingly, the top score at Twin Galaxies for QIX arcade is 1.6 million. I think that score is BS(others do too) ....anyway....there is a trick to this game....you can build a "sparks trap" (details on the net somewhere) this trap, traps the sparks, so you can play the game without having to worry about them killing you.

Good luck guys.....I'll be very interested in what scores you can get.

john

Score 26382

doggonit! i just finished packing up the Qix for its new owner - why did it have to be now ?

oh well. got about 54000 on the dedicated cab, and worked out a few strategies with the next door neighbour. problem was i zapped the high score table by accident back to defaults aaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

ok out with mame.

---------- Post added at 09:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

and dont forget the strategy when you get to the dbl qix levels! - oh wait that'd be telling...;)

1286771862_Qixfirstshot.JPG.b8549fdc8559e4710c65c9c843610f2a.JPG

Edited by andykmv

the dirty dozen indeed, the games just keep getting filthier. andy you and visy should get a section in the commercial section as i for one have no idea what games you have for sale and whats coming up for sale. must be a melbourne mason's secret hand shake cenario. if mk gets drawn and i hear bitchin ill be citing this game as the standard barer for games that are all bad.

maybe a seperate tips and tricks thread with a spoiler alert. make it happen toto.

Edited by henrybulldog
cause wingtip loves advise from the cheap seats

I nomed this one because it's a great game and the sound is legendary, but I havn't played a whole lot of it. I think it might be one of those games where I'll play it all week and not improve any.

practice practice practise helps you try out and develop strategies! and i must agree i love the sound on the dedicated cab. i'm gonna miss that sound.

Edited by andykmv

Would it be too much to ask if people could leave the tips n tricks posts out until at least a day or 2 after the game has started? Some gamers may like to discover( and have the ability to ) for themselves:) Just a thought.

OK...fair call.....but....Some may know this trick??....that puts the others at a dissadvantage....it's only fair that everyone is playing on a level field??

john

Would it be too much to ask if people could leave the tips n tricks posts out until at least a day or 2 after the game has started? Some gamers may like to discover( and have the ability to ) for themselves:) Just a thought.

ah, so you picked that i was just teasin then and not givin anything away ?? ;)

OK...fair call.....but....Some may know this trick??....that puts the others at a dissadvantage....it's only fair that everyone is playing on a level field??

john

No probs John, i can see your point. I just think that all players need a little time to find out for themselves, whether its by playing or via looking it up on the net( totally up to the individual:) )

Just asking for people to refrain from posting it, for just a day or 2 is all.

Not a rule, just a suggestion:)

john

I agree with Wingtip about the no-no of posting tips/tricks so early in the game ruining the Learning Curve and the fun of discovery. Lexmark has a point though about those that know the trick having an unfair advantage. (never heard of it myself) But now that it's been outed as a game-changer from Day 1, should we outlaw this 'sparx trap' or now is everyone going to play Qix this way - cause they know it gives you an unfair advantage? :unsure And where's the fun in that.

I'd rather play it off legit more than trying for high scores via this exploit, that sort of ruins the fun for me, just my opinion though, what are thoughts of others.

Edit update: Now that I've read about the trick it seems hard to do anyway... But now I'm curious and will be trying it out :) I'd be interested to hear if others think this should be allowed, it is part of the game not a bug/cheat/exploit but can give an unfair advantage so maybe it should be put up to a vote.

if mk gets drawn and i hear bitchin ill be citing this game as the standard barer for games that are all bad.

MK has already been voted out, so not much chance of that :D

Edited by Jed

personally i'd vote to veto the vetos but that's another argument :) this should be fun I've heard of it but never played a game before so hopefully my cabinet likes it better then the q*Bert roms.

Not vetoing anything, debatable methods of playing a game have always been decided by general agreement in previous mgls, this one no different. More, looking for a level playing field :)

Edit: I couldn't even pull off this sparx trap, did worse than ever and lost all my qix trying to construct the thing:lol don't really think it's a big deal, for mine

fcuk it im taking my bat and ball and as cartman would say, screw you guys im going home.

Awwww Henry, we haven't even seen your bat and ball yet, and now you're taking them home :cry

Edited by Jed