Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl 12 - game 2: Q*bert [finished]

http://i51.tinypic.com/4selxk.jpg

DIP SWITCH SETTINGS

ROMSet: QBert.zip (us set 1)

Kicker: On

Auto Round Advance [Cheat]: Off

Lives: 3

Difficulty: Normal

First Extra Life: 8000

Extra Life Each Additional: 14000

Nominated by: Andykmv

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9182

Qbert Description

A two-legged, big-nosed, orange creature jumps diagonally around on a pyramid, changing the color of the blocks he lands on. Avoid most moving objects and characters while luring Coily, the snake, to his demise by jumping off the edge of the pyramid onto one of the flying disks. The game has nine levels of four rounds each.

You must have Qbert hop on all the squares of each pyramid and change them into the color that they are required to be. Everytime Qbert is hit by something, he says "@!?@!". You must be careful and be sure that Qbert does not fall off the pyramid.

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 12th of December BY 7PM (NSW daylight savings time).

Edited by Jed
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The problem with this game is that to play it correctly you need joystick restrictors in place so it;s diagonal movements only. Or a 4-way mounted diagonally ;)

Brad

• Like 1

OK Andykmv you have forced me to start playing this bloody game & now, to quote Mr Bert, I can't @!#?@! ing stop! :laugh:

Getting a score in early but I hope there's plenty of improvement to come.

http://i55.tinypic.com/6zahpc.png

Getting to level 3 semi regularly now but out tonight & tomorrow so I doubt I'll improve on this effort.

Edited by Ramere
  • Like 1

Did the original cab come out like this? Maybe thats why i find it illogical to play?

It's not illogical Andy, set it up so that numbers 2, 4, 6 & 8 are your jump buttons, twist your keyboard on a 45 degree angle & it will make perfect sense... :lol

• Like 1

Its really easy to change an 8-way to play Qbert

1. In game press Tab and go into your Input settings ( This game )

2. Change

P1 Right to=Right Down

P1 Left to= Left Up

P1 Up to= Up Right

P1 Down= Down Left

The trick to do this is to do one movement quickly followed by the other ie for right press right then down quickly you should see right arrow down arrow. Make sure there is no "or" separating the movements as it will not work.

Works excellently :cool:

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Did the original cab come out like this? Maybe thats why i find it illogical to play?

Yes it did.

Brad

Try my tip above should work flawlessly ;)

• Thanks 1

It's not illogical Andy, set it up so that numbers 2, 4, 6 & 8 are your jump buttons, twist your keyboard on a 45 degree angle & it will make perfect sense... :lol

No more keyboard mate, im joystick equipped now brother:cool: And yeah, it was a little illogical with a straight on keyboard:cool:

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

2. Change

P1 Right to=Right Down

P1 Left to= Left Up

P1 Up to= Up Right

P1 Down= Down Left

The trick to do this is to do one movement quickly followed by the other ie for right press right then down quickly you should see right arrow down arrow. Make sure there is no "or" separating the movements as it will not work.

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Shall do now mate:)

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Yes it did.

Brad

I thought so, thanks Brad.

• Like 1

Noooo!!! This was meant to come up in a couple of weeks when I get my dedicated cab.! Now Andy will hold to the cab for another week :lol

You're getting a dedicated Q*Bert cab ?? :cool:

I like this game, I like the sound effects, so weird, and it gets pretty hard and goes all MC Escher on you in the later levels :)

• Like 1

I can safely say, this is a game i have never gotten into:( I just don't get it and cant get my head around the controls:(

You will Andy, I think everyone has the same experience with Q*Bert re: the controls and the board layout - but once that penny drops it becomes a really fun game :)

• Like 1

You're getting a dedicated Q*Bert cab ?? :cool:

I like this game, I like the sound effects, so weird, and it gets pretty hard and goes all MC Escher on you in the later levels :)

Yes!

I can safely say, this is a game i have never gotten into:( I just don't get it and cant get my head around the controls:(

Did you change the control setup to how I said, then its a just a matter of hitting the diagonals, lure coily to the spinning discs when he is close, he we will off the edge when you jump on the disc and the enemies will disappear for a short while.

• Like 1

2. Change

P1 Right to=Right Down

P1 Left to= Left Up

P1 Up to= Up Right

P1 Down= Down Left

I just tried this and the game plays so much easier than the default stick setup, which I used to struggle with but never thought of doing this, thanks Dkong :)

• Like 1

Don't know why people are having issues with controls? I'm just playing it like a normal 4 way game with the standard joystick mapping? works fine? Press down to go down, up to go up, left to go left, etc.
  • Like 1

Don't know why people are having issues with controls? I'm just playing it like a normal 4 way game with the standard joystick mapping? works fine? Press down to go down, up to go up, left to go left, etc.

There is no 'up' , there is only up-left or up-right.

Edited by kane
  • Like 1

There is no 'up' , there is only up-left or up-right.

What I mean is.. I press the stick in the up/down/left/right directions on a standard 8 way stick with the standard control mapping and play the game fine.

EDIT: I just tried the way DKong suggested and couldn't play the game at all. :confused:

• Like 1

Noooo!!! This was meant to come up in a couple of weeks when I get my dedicated cab.! Now Andy will hold on to the cab for another week :lol

man u guys are toast now mwahahahahahahaaha! :p

---------- Post added at 10:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

not getting any love with the 8 way on my cab. bring on game 3.

change it to 4 way and rotate the js 45 degrees. oh wait, thats the dedicated cab setup! :p

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

I'm playing on a keyboard.

Keys have been reconfigured to

Up/left = T

Up/right=U

Down/left=V

Down/right=N

Left hand drives T and V

Right hand drives U and N

Too easy :D

• Like 1

I'm playing on a keyboard.

Keys have been reconfigured to

Up/left = T

Up/right=U

Down/left=V

Down/right=N

Left hand drives T and V

Right hand drives U and N

Too easy :D

Yep, I'm doing the same except on the keypad - 7,9,1,3. I still do the occasional wrong direction jump off the edge though...

• Like 1