Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Mgl 12 game 1: Commando [finished]

Lock and load MGL'ers! Dkong kicks us off with his nomination:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2njkao1.jpg

ROM AND DIP SWITCH SETTINGS:

(twin galaxies default rom settings)

ROMSet: Commando.zip

Starting Area: 0 [Forest 1]

Lives: 3

Bonus Life: 10k 50k+

Difficulty: Normal

Special Rules: None

Nominated by: Dkong

Game detail: http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7376

You are a highly trained solder whose mission is to annihilate the enemy and rescue important captives. To do this you must destroy the enemy base, which is said to be impregnable. Your weapons consist of a machine gun with unlimited shots and a limited supply of hand grenades that may be replenished by stealing from the enemy.

Games are picked through a random generator from the list compiled in the MGL 12 thread. To have your games included in the pick you need to submit a score. You can add to this list at any time. Remember to make your score valid you need to post your score in the subject line,

and don't forget your screen shot, if you have any troubles let me know.

Your scores need to be in by next Sunday 5th of December BY 7PM (NSW daylight savings time).

Thought i'd kick off a little bit early as this is the first game :)

Edited by Jed
update progress scores

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always liked Commando they really got the weapons right. Limiting the gun's range adds a bit of difficulty/planning plus it just feels right for running about with a sub machine gun :). It's a bit annoying shooting either side of them when they're not exactly straight ahead or at 45 degrees but I like how slow and spaced the enemies shots are, a bit like raiden, it usually feels like you can dodge about between the bullets if you're good enough.

It's a shame that the grenades are a bit under used but it's an even bigger shame that thre sequel Mercs lost a lot of what felt best about Commando imo.

commando88300.png.d34ad112328e7a04492d928aa15dc119.png

Edited by Taverner

I like how slow and spaced the enemies shots are, a bit like raiden, it usually feels like you can dodge about between the bullets if you're good enough.

Tav, funny you should mention Raiden! I'm playing that at the moment in the Retroleague (UK) - and I think it has really improved my Commando. I never played Raiden, but had a good bash today - then went back to Commando, and have improved heaps :) They seem to work well together!

Raiden is easily my all time favourite shooter, loved it in the arcade and in the late 1990's when I first heard about mame me and a mate used to play two player Raiden on a shared keyboard :) (emulating Raiden 2 would top my wishlist for future mame releases by a long long way). I think they got the speed about right for me in raiden, after that a lot of the games got too fast and hetic to know what's going on but with games like raiden/commando/slap fight you can get that nice weaving pattern between enemy fire that's always fun.

Now if I can just teach my little pixelated cannon fodder how to walk around a tree I'll be doing fine :D.

Hehe yeh walk up to tree, try to go left, try to go right, get shot :x Those grunts are none too clever..

I've put a 'Progress Scores' table in blue on the first post, this way everyone can check the first post of a game for who's currently leading, or their nearest rival (and will help me tally up at week's end) I'll update the progress scores every couple of days in the week of play.

Game on!

Raiden is easily my all time favourite shooter, loved it in the arcade and in the late 1990's when I first heard about mame me and a mate used to play two player Raiden on a shared keyboard (emulating Raiden 2 would top my wishlist for future mame releases by a long long way). I think they got the speed about right for me in raiden, after that a lot of the games got too fast and hetic to know what's going on but with games like raiden/commando/slap fight you can get that nice weaving pattern between enemy fire that's always fun.

Off topic but you can get Raiden 2 + 3 on PC and they're arcade perfect conversions. :)[

Hey, my first score for a compo. Now I really want a good arcade joystick! I was scavenging through my stuff but an XBox controller or keyboard really aren't designed for old style arcade games.

Why did digital joysticks get replaced with these horrible little analogue controllers (even though Vectrex's were the first the have them ;) )

http://users.on.net/~edan/cam/mame/commando2.png

Edited by Vectrex

Hey, my first score for a compo. Now I really want a good arcade joystick! I was scavenging through my stuff but an XBox controller or keyboard really aren't designed for old style arcade games.

Why did digital joysticks get replaced with these horrible little analogue controllers (even though Vectrex's were the first the have them ;) )

Welcome to the MGL Vectrex. I have a Vectrex console as well - have you got the multi-game card where you throw dip switches to select games :) I think mine came from Poland or something... (ebay) playing vector games on a true vector monitor is pretty sweet, sure beats CRT or LCD.

Ozstick I think has some decent robust Arcade controllers, as you say gamepads dont really cut it for these games, the analogue sticks bugger up a lot of games, mostly the 4-way games which we see a fair few of in the MGL's. Not sure if PC arcade sticks come in the switchable variety, my cab's joystick are 4/8 way switchable, but don't know about the usb type variety :unsure

Welcome to the MGL Vectrex. I have a Vectrex console as well - have you got the multi-game card where you throw dip switches to select games :)

Thanks guys. My Vectrex has the original game carts, about 12 and a few controllers. Vector screens are so cool, something that no emulator can do justice. I turned it on the other day and.. it was 'weird' the gun drew in the middle for a bit then came right, but the text was upside down! :blink: