Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 32 - Game 9 ~ Nibbler (closes 6-Aug)

Man vs Snake …

MGL 32 - Game 9 ~ Nibbler

http://i.imgur.com/Vi2MZBB.png

Nominated by gamers: Michael Kibbey and John73

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: Nibbler (set 1)

Game Story:

A maze game where a snake nibbles pieces of food in its path. The snake grows longer every time it eats and if it runs into itself, it crashes and starts all over again. Eating all the food on the screen moves to the next level.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials.

This game finishes Sunday 6 August 2017, 7pm Sydney time Australia.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No cheats allowed.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 9 … Eat all the food to live …

:donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts::donuts:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry... I'm SO SO sorry.

Nah, I want to learn to play this game which is why I nominated it, this after watching Kibbey marathon it. Bloody hard game and I'm sure I won't do well.

I know Shane & Barra aren't going to be happy - but look at it this way, it could have been Q*Bert :P

- - - Updated - - -

0000.png.c2efba2ff6ad0358ca2dbdfae32b2f55.png

@Barra: our resident rom expert (or anyone that knows the answer to this), what versions are the equivalent for current, say, wolfmame .170+ game play?

Unrelated: It would nice to be able to have "one free pass" on any chosen MGL game in a given nine game contest. haha. :D :D :D

Obviously this would be hard to work out using the percentage method of scoring, but it might be an easy task for incremental scoring. Something like only your top eight of nine score count. It would be far more interesting though to make someone choose when they use it, without any knowledge of future games. Something like your free pass may only be used once and only during the open window of the game being played. As an example, Barra could choose to use his free pass on game 2 Mr. Do! only to find out several weeks later that game 7 is Dig Dug, but he's all out of get of jail free cards so he has to play Dig Dug. Need more examples? :D I could think up many entertaining scenarios if so.

I'm 50% certain that nibbler6 is the correct romset in later versions. Can't say for sure until I fire it up a bit later.

If dig dug comes up I'm out.

:lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

@Barra: our resident rom expert (or anyone that knows the answer to this), what versions are the equivalent for current, say, wolfmame .170+ game play?

ROM set changed: yes

0.106-0.143: nibbler - "Nibbler (set 1)"

0.143u6-0.181: nibbler6 - "Nibbler (rev 6)"

One thing about playing on a later version of MAME, you won't have the partial Pioneer Balloon music playing. I think that romset is now nibblerp. Not sure which revision it is though. It doesn't change the game, it just uses the music ROM if that spot is populated on the board. (both games use the same boardset) Just checked it, it's revision 6, so if you want to play it the same as 106 in recent versions, you should probably play nibblerp and suffer with the music like those of us using 106 :p If you're good enough though, the music stops on wave 14.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113471[/ATTACH]

Openers.

As both my stick controllers are out, I went keyboard arrow keys (not suggested for this game). My USB ports are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting my controllers for some reason. Anything else I plug in the USB ports (webcam, xbox360 controller) work without issue. Odd.

As both my stick controllers are out, I went keyboard arrow keys (not suggested for this game). My USB ports are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting my controllers for some reason. Anything else I plug in the USB ports (webcam, xbox360 controller) work without issue. Odd. That IS odd! I think I remember you having that problem before. If I come across a fix I will message you.

That IS odd! I think I remember you having that problem before. If I come across a fix I will message you.

Thank you sir. I think I finally determined it's the USB cord. I suspect it's slowly been degrading over time (creating more and more disconnects over time) but for the life of me I can't understand how this could be. I've got a replacement now that is reasonably stable. The other cord just doesn't even work anymore. It's so odd too as it's just a USB cord. It takes no abuse and just sits on my desk. While I do plug it into different controllers, it's not like a cell phone charger cord that takes beating. It's not like I'm violently swapping out the controllers. It's a very measured swap, much in the way that BRB frolics through the cherry patches in Mr. Do!.

Back in the day... they made USB cords that worked forever!

Thank you sir. I think I finally determined it's the USB cord. I suspect it's slowly been degrading over time (creating more and more disconnects over time) but for the life of me I can't understand how this could be. I've got a replacement now that is reasonably stable. The other cord just doesn't even work anymore. It's so odd too as it's just a USB cord. It takes no abuse and just sits on my desk. While I do plug it into different controllers, it's not like a cell phone charger cord that takes beating. It's not like I'm violently swapping out the controllers. It's a very measured swap, much in the way that BRB frolics through the cherry patches in Mr. Do!.

Back in the day... they made USB cords that worked forever!

I was thinking the cord as well. Both stick controllers not working though? Maybe take a look inside to see if something came loose. I don't think it's the USB ports since everything else works.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking the cord as well. Both stick controllers not working though? Maybe take a look inside to see if something came loose. I don't think it's the USB ports since everything else works.

My Ps2 controller works for all my PS2 console games, but when I want to play Need for Speed Underground it doesn't recognize it. :unsure

Didn't know about the ROM change, anyway here is a slight improvement using the correct ROM for .184 which is what I'm playing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]113482[/ATTACH]

Someone with knowledge know if Nibbler6 plays the same, easier, or pretty much the same as the Nibbler ROM. Could just be in my head, but it did seem a bit smoother, or easier. I don't know the game well enough to comment really.

My goal is 100k in the first week, then hopefully Kibbey or someone comes along with some tips for us all about how to score really high on this. Would love to learn to marathon this - not looking at playing 40hrs, but being able to get a million would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Try again with correct screen shot:

0001.png.7091a8d4e88f74cbb6219aea8b7f7b21.png

0001.png.27a214c0835db7c986e208392c8ceb4d.png