Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 32 - Game 5 ~ Asteroids (closes 9-Jul)

Saucer hazard …

MGL 32 - Game 5 ~ Asteroids

http://i.imgur.com/082pefp.png

Nominated by gamer: fok999

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: Asteroids (rev2)

Game Story:

Your space craft is dangerously situated among fast moving asteroids in an asteroid belt that can destroy your ship on contact. Armed with a front mounted weapon and the ability to hyperspace, you fly through the debris, destroying each rock one piece at a time. Alien saucers visit the playfield from time to time with an eye towards destroying your ship!

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials.

This game finishes Sunday 9 July 2017, 7pm Sydney time Australia.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No cheats allowed.

Shooting down back to back command ships at the end of each stage is OK.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 5 … Asteroids are everywhere …

:alienabduction::alienabduction::alienabduction::alienabduction::alienabduction:

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: Asteroids (rev2)

I'm having trouble locating this. Rev 4 loads as "asteroid" in 185 matching TG. Is the the same or close enough? I'm not able to load this in 106. Is this "asteroid2?"

As always, I miss things... am I missing things here? Any guidance is appreciated.

I'm having trouble locating this. Rev 4 loads as "asteroid" in 185 matching TG. Is the the same or close enough? I'm not able to load this in 106. Is this "asteroid2?"

As always, I miss things... am I missing things here? Any guidance is appreciated.

Here is the rom "asteroids (rev2)" ;-)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BweQIxRySJ5LXzFiQXY3VGtueGM/view?usp=sharing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112079[/ATTACH]

Openers.

This one opens in 106 as rev 2. In 185 it opens as rev 4. I have no idea why this would be but won't concern myself with it as I'm quite fine playing 106 so resolved here. Thank you Fok!

It is the files there 035145-02.ef2 and 035144-02.h2 that are in the roms "asteroid2.zip" that must be moved in the roms "asteroid.zip" so that it works with 0.106 :)

For asteroids (rev 4) it is necessary to replace (or add) "035145-02.ef2 - 035144-02.h2" by "035145-04.ef2 - 035144-04.h2" in the rom asteroid.zip

In the rom I share there are both versions to avoid changing every time I want to play either one ...

Edited by fok999

Played this a lot back in the day on the Atari 2600.

This game description is out of the Atari 2600 Asteroids manual.

On a quiet serene evening the Cosmic Space Patrol sets out for the usual night cruise through the boulevards of space. This beat was always the same; calm, no action and no excitement. For some reason this night feels different. Shortly before 0200 hours some form of intergalactic material is sighted through the visual particle counter. The material is too large a mass to measure. It's drifting closer. Lookout, it's a giant asteroid boulder and it's headed straight for the Cosmic Spacecraft. The only chance for survival is to dodge the boulder or destroy it. Destroying it doesn't mean just breaking it up, it means vaporizing it. Small asteroid boulders are equally as fatal as large ones.

Whew, the boulder just missed colliding with the Cosmic Spacecraft, but suddenly the Cosmic Space Patrol find themselves surrounded by thousands of the deadly asteroids. The Cosmic Space Patrol must act quickly to save their spacecraft and spare their lives. The spacecraft is equipped with photon torpedoes, hyperspace, shields, and flip control.

The Cosmic Space Patrol is highly trained to handle this situation. Could you do as good a job as the Cosmic Space Patrol? How would you protect yourself if you were caught in a deadly asteroid belt? This is your big chance to fly throughout the dimensions of space and fend against asteroid boulders. The longer you survive, the more space hazards you'll encounter.

Exciting stuff!

Another one they have at Netherworld for the Brissy people

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I played on that last week. it was awesome to see this on original tube.

If anyone has some good settings for HLSL filters in mame on this please post. its going to be tough playing it in mame after seeing original.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Played this a lot back in the day on the Atari 2600.

This game description is out of the Atari 2600 Asteroids manual.

On a quiet serene evening the Cosmic Space Patrol sets out for the usual night cruise through the boulevards of space. This beat was always the same; calm, no action and no excitement. For some reason this night feels different. Shortly before 0200 hours some form of intergalactic material is sighted through the visual particle counter. The material is too large a mass to measure. It's drifting closer. Lookout, it's a giant asteroid boulder and it's headed straight for the Cosmic Spacecraft. The only chance for survival is to dodge the boulder or destroy it. Destroying it doesn't mean just breaking it up, it means vaporizing it. Small asteroid boulders are equally as fatal as large ones.

Whew, the boulder just missed colliding with the Cosmic Spacecraft, but suddenly the Cosmic Space Patrol find themselves surrounded by thousands of the deadly asteroids. The Cosmic Space Patrol must act quickly to save their spacecraft and spare their lives. The spacecraft is equipped with photon torpedoes, hyperspace, shields, and flip control.

The Cosmic Space Patrol is highly trained to handle this situation. Could you do as good a job as the Cosmic Space Patrol? How would you protect yourself if you were caught in a deadly asteroid belt? This is your big chance to fly throughout the dimensions of space and fend against asteroid boulders. The longer you survive, the more space hazards you'll encounter.

Exciting stuff!

I didn't own a 2600 but I did play Asteroids at a friends house, surprisingly enjoyable at the time considering how primitive it is, I had forgotten about the special features such as shield and flip that you could select, I think it was push up for thrust and down for special feature, never liked those joysticks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Pr8yC8_F4

I have played this on @Rat 's cab at his Head2Head meet a couple of years ago. This game looks so much better on a real cab than in Mame.

I don't think I went that well. That is probably to do with the combination of a few beers and Rat's crazy house rules. If my memory is correct, we had one team member operating left and right rotation as well as hyperspace while the other team member operated thrust and fire.

Here is me (dressed as Wayne from Wayne's World) and my team mate attempting a new high score on Rat's cab.

2125067484_asteroidsatrats.thumb.jpg.8261d09a681e548c97e0281f0a4ff3d5.jpg

Bonus pic - bigredbird and churgs (Wayne and Garth) on Rat's Astro City cab.

706372742_astrocityatrats.thumb.jpg.230189f47c861980d24040fb01dd5c5e.jpg

• Administrators

Ugh, not a big fan. Absolutely love vector games but generally really hard imo

You can get awesome results using aae for vector games:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/aae/

Brad

- - - Updated - - -

I played on that last week. it was awesome to see this on original tube.

If anyone has some good settings for HLSL filters in mame on this please post. its going to be tough playing it in mame after seeing original.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Also the mame site has the details you're after. Scroll down to the vector section

http://docs.mamedev.org/advanced/hlsl.html

I have played this on @Rat 's cab at his Head2Head meet a couple of years ago. This game looks so much better on a real cab than in Mame.

I don't think I went that well. That is probably to do with the combination of a few beers and Rat's crazy house rules. If my memory is correct, we had one team member operating left and right rotation as well as hyperspace while the other team member operated thrust and fire.

Here is me (dressed as Wayne from Wayne's World) and my team mate attempting a new high score on Rat's cab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112088[/ATTACH]

Bonus pic - bigredbird and churgs (Wayne and Garth) on Rat's Astro City cab.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112087[/ATTACH]

You are very lucky to have friends fan of arcade games !:023:

I'm the only fan! My friends do not follow me in my delirium ...:cry and all the arcade rooms we closed for a long time.:unsure

But I would not give up the arcade !:D

Thanks to all of you for giving me the pleasure of playing against real fans ! :sm1: :cheers:

3,110 - this just to get me on the board.

Might struggle with this as my cab is just two buttons and as it's by the window then morning play is out unless I can change the way the screen looks :redface

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112094[/ATTACH]

Excuses, excuses ... :rolleyes ... just use the joystick for left and right ... one button for thrust and the other for fire.

You don't need a Hyperspace button because in reality it has the wrong label. Its proper name is the kill me button, so useless.

And in the morning, just wear shades like I do, so you can play! ... :cool:

You'll double your score!

Edited by OOO