Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGLXLVII - Game 2 ~ Ghosts 'n Goblins (closes 18-Apr)

Before The Zombie Television Shows …

MGLXLVII – Game 2 ~ Ghosts 'n Goblins

Nominated by gamers: @gsuttor and @Ace1942

ROMSet 106: GNG (World? Set 1)

aRZ0Kpo.png

Game Story:

You play Sir Arthur, a knight who must run and jump through six horizontally or vertically scrolling levels to rescue his sweetheart, Princess Guinevere. Throw lances, axes etc. to kill zombies, bats, demons and other assorted foes. You must defeat the end-of-level boss before you can move on to the next stage.

Score Submissions:

Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials. This game finishes Sunday 18-Apr-2021, 7pm Sydney time.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No auto fire allowed. No stitching of INP files with save states. Single player only. No cheats allowed. Leeching in the cave scene is disallowed. Get in there, do your stuff to advance, and get out. All other leeching is disallowed. This is a maximum 5 lives track only. Play to advance, with caution where needed. The real test, that you can judge for yourself is, am I deliberately leeching for points only, or am I trying to advance. It must be with the intent to advance. Leeching the clock for points until close to zero then advancing to the next timer is not allowed. We are not playing the Twin Galaxies 5 lives track and leech as much as you want.

a4ENYmk.gif

Games can be played on the arcade machine. You must ensure the game is at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 2 … Boss Battles And More …

JKANI6R.png

Edited by OOO
  • Like 3

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excessive leeching in the cave scene is disallowed. Get in there, do your stuff to advance, and get out. All other excessive leeching is disallowed. This is a maximum 5 lives track only.

a4ENYmk.gif

So to clarify the above. My interpretation would be to play the game like a speedrun especially on the cave level. Milking the clock until close to zero then advancing to the next timer reset point without losing a life would still be grounds for a DQ. Correct?

• Like 2

Yeah we need a fast ruling before it becomes a big argument. I'm good both ways.

1. Play through - advance as you go, we all know what leeching looks like in the cave and at the start of the bridge.

2. Allow to leech on the life you are on until the timer nears zero, then move on, but not kill off all lives cave leeching.

Oh and you need to FIGHT the bridge dragon not go back and make it disappear! No glitch exploitation. <----------

Set the rules quick so everyone knows. I'd rather play like the first option, Push to try complete the game, then come around again if you get there.

Edited by gsuttor
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is much appreciated. We are not playing the Twin Galaxies track of 5 lives and leech as much as you want. This track we are playing is very different. It will be as Robert has mentioned, like a speed run track, not measured by time, but points. And yes this is difficult to do and may seem unfair, however this is the challenge. It is like Geoff has mentioned, "push to try complete the game, then come around again if you get there."

Play to advance, with caution where needed. The real test, that you can judge for yourself is, am I deliberately leeching for points only, or am I trying to advance. It must be with the intent to advance. It will be a more fun game this way as well. I suggest leeching for so long is boring. Feedback is welcome.

• Like 1

SIGH!!!!

I suck at this game. I shouldn't, but I just do. This and dkong... please don't announce dkong.

There's always an opportunity to improve. And what gets drawn out of the great game pool is a huge mystery. Praying may help, but great gaming works best.

Ok Paul you are the gamemaster and under threat of more dungeon torcher I will abide. It will be nice to play a game more for progress than for like you said boring point pressing and standing around just shooting stuff.

I am trying to make this game more fun for you guys. We normally align with TG rules for almost every other game, but there will be the odd exception, like this one. The leeching in this game has been a serious issue in the past, including extremely boring and unfair with leeching, so this time it's out and with only 5 lives.

• Like 2

So I played the game with no leeching and fighting all end bosses. It's fine this way, my goal will be to finish all levels but unlikely to get there.

Also discovered from a Twitch viewer that if you hold up on your joystick when picking up a key you get an end of level bonus! Brilliant!.

Geoffrey_Suttor_GhostsNGoblins_135000.thumb.jpg.d345811a40ae4d653322b150526d7ed5.jpg

I will also be streaming most attempts at the games, learning as I go and sharing what I learn.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/972060127

Geoffrey_Suttor_GhostsNGoblins_135000.zip

• Like 1

So I played the game with no leeching and fighting all end bosses. It's fine this way, my goal will be to finish all levels but unlikely to get there.

Also discovered from a Twitch viewer that if you hold up on your joystick when picking up a key you get an end of level bonus! Brilliant!.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tGeoffrey_Suttor_GhostsNGoblins_135000.jpg Views:\t0 Size:\t286.2 KB ID:\t2201040","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"2201040","data-size":"medium"}[/ATTACH]

I will also be streaming most attempts at the games, learning as I go and sharing what I learn.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/972060127

Do you have any idea what score one might have, after completing the 1st round without leeching? And how about finishing the game, that is after 2nd time through, if anyone was truly that great, what would be the estimated score without leeching?

Do you have any idea what score one might have, after completing the 1st round without leeching? And how about finishing the game, that is after 2nd time through, if anyone was truly that great, what would be the estimated score without leeching?

I'm really no GnG expert, but considering my replay (as you can watch) a better player who sticks around each level to maximise score using the game mechanics in the levels (summoning gravestone bats, getting all pickups, end of level bonuses, etc without leeching, I'd reckon 300k maybe for first loop completion?? Anyone want to hazard a guess?

This World Record attempt shows the player at 437,500 points on the first loop, but he leeches the hell out of the cave and bridge.

• Like 1

What MAME version is your recording?

What MAME version is your recording?

WolfMAME 226

If you use a BAT file to playback you can do the INP analysis like they do on Twin Galaxies.

In the case of my file above the command is.

mame64 gng -playback Geoffrey_Suttor_GhostsNGoblins_135000.inp -iv 1

Using this you will wee a red bar across the bottom with all the joystick/button presses and you can press:

- "Delete" key to see the settings used when playing.

- "F11" to see the playback data

- "F10" will toggle the frame rate lock, so you can play the whole thing back much faster (depending on speed of PC)

• Like 2

WolfMAME 226

I just watched your game. That was fun to watch. And it doesn't take long to watch it this way either, so twice the fun. And that's for gamer and viewer.

2 lives lost on section 3 and 3 on section 5? I am pretty sure that if you put some time into this one, you'll finish the 1st loop, and more.

Fun game, great colours, great artwork and great sound. A great classic for sure.

GnG_Enemy_Zombie.gif.95dfe6cd9634ea41bb33b9bcaab1b9e3.gif

• Like 1

WolfMAME 226

If you use a BAT file to playback you can do the INP analysis like they do on Twin Galaxies.

In the case of my file above the command is.

mame64 gng -playback Geoffrey_Suttor_GhostsNGoblins_135000.inp -iv 1

Using this you will wee a red bar across the bottom with all the joystick/button presses and you can press:

- "Delete" key to see the settings used when playing.

- "F11" to see the playback data

- "F10" will toggle the frame rate lock, so you can play the whole thing back much faster (depending on speed of PC)

Thanks for the info. F10 key for speedup doesn't work on my W10 PC, so I use the "Insert" key for speedup.

GnG_Enemy_Bat.gif.33b30fd84dc71e133ddfe3030f7706b6.gif

I just got back from dinner in Chinatown tonight. The old Korean chicken with rice and seaweed. Then a tasty matcha latte, thin fries, and matcha with chocolate ice cream in a cone. Awesome.

What was also awesome, was watching you play this game for 21 minutes of pure good fun. It's just after midnight here, and you passed the stage you haven't done for 33 years. Plus you hit 200K+ with 3 men lost on that last stage. Methinks all your game play on Rygar does help you a great deal in this game too. Methinks also you played this game extremely well, bordering on expert control, and there is so much more to come from your performances. Loop 1 is knocking, and it seems to me you could finish Loop 2 and finish the game. I love the game engine, music, challenge, and characters in this game. There is so much more fun to come. Good stuff.

GnG_Arthur_Frog.gif.8c12f5b80b6d2f9d98c8b90eeeb54cd0.gif

• Like 2